Archived Question about fixing Cartwheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifewithtarget

datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
So for the longest time, when a guest forgets to scan their Cartwheel, they come over to the Service Desk and we scan the receipt and do it as a missed coupon.

We just got a new GSTL who has changed the rules and now wants us to do it as Wrong Price, even with the Red Card.

The reasoning for the change is that doing missed coupon for Cartwheel counts against our store, that's what we were told.

Would anyone be able to elaborate on this. They didn't explain how it affects our store doing it as a missed coupon so I was looking for more information

From what I know, each store has a "coupon fund" or something similar. So by using "missed coupon" instead of "wrong price", it's taking the difference out of the stores coupon fund. That might not be completely accurate, but that's how my Sr. GSTL explained it when I asked about it. We still use Missed coupon because trying to use Wrong Price takes way too much time and effort, and nine times out of ten the cartwheel saves we end up returning to the guest are negligible.

IIRC, things like Apology coupons also count against the coupon fund.

Interesting. We were told that we can't apply Cartwheel after the fact.

Interesting. We were told that we can't apply Cartwheel after the fact.

You can't. At least, not directly. Instead you have to total up the savings that would have applied to the purchase and take it off as a missed coupon. Either that, or scan the relevant items as well as the cartwheel on the register, check the discrepancy in the total, and do a missed coupon on the original transaction.

^^ and that's probably why...too much effort for just a few pennies.

This would be the only way to actually apply the Cartwheel after the fact, but if the guest paid with a credit card, then there's that whole issue.
You could apply it to a giftcard to avoid re-charging the credit card. The only thing is the difference will be stuck on the card, but who knows it might just bring them back into the store.

If it's a lot of items, I just reopen the transaction. I do NOT recommend this though, because there have been 2 times, where the register runs into an error of some kind, and voids the transaction without reopening it. It's a big headache because there's no confirmation the transaction was voided, other than the fact that their receipt isn't valid anymore. Though it's uncommon, the risk outweighs the benefits.

Easiest thing you can do is just calculate the savings, and do it as a missed coupon. If it's busy, I usually just round up to compensate them for the inconvenience. Really, it's just to cover my ass so I don't short the guest, because I don't trust my math. So if they have about $2 and some change worth of discounts, I'll just do a store coupon for $3. $3-$5 are like the magic numbers in my store, since $3 is the value of an apology coupon, and $5 is just a generic, small value amount.

The second is what I usually do, as opposed to the first. I really wish we could just scan the Cartwheel after the fact. I don't think many of our cashiers know that we can't do that, so they don't pay as much attention as they should to scanning Cartwheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back