Archived Question about insubordination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I work on a 4am flow team. They've extended our hours so we start at 2am for the holidays. Our flow team is a joke, besides myself and a few others, mostly the other veterans, most of the team slacks off, talks, BSing around and don't finish aisles in the allotted times. On average, it takes us about 2 hours to get through market, paper, HBA, Chemicals and Pets. So yesterday we had an average size truck, and it took us until almost the store opening at 8 to finish those areas. So our ETL LOG says today at the morning huddle that if that happens again, even though most of the team is scheduled to leave at 7:30, if we don't stay after the time we're scheduled and finish, we will get written up for insubordination. I want to know if the ETL can really do this. I normally stay but sometimes after throwing the truck and busting my butt pushing, I just don't have the energy to stay. I just think it's wrong he said that. I don't want to get into trouble but I don't want to be punished for other team members not doing their jobs.

my suggestion is to talk your etl log alone about your concerns/issues. his feedback to you should answer all the above questions. also ask him, how am i doing too? i am pushing & working as fast i can, etc.
welcome, btw. everyone needs to vent & you have come to the right place.

I agree with what Hrdlinesmaster said and that would be my advice to you as well. That will show that you are truly interested and dedicated to doing the right thing for the process and your store. But to answer your direct questions to the group. Your ETL-LOG cannot make you stay past your scheduled shift and if you refuse to stay it CANNOT be considered Insubordination. This is most likely an empty threat and what ETL would fire their entire team for insubordination. I hate to say it though, there are always loop-holes, just be careful. Just be political about it and seek advice on your own performance as it will make you look much better than the rest of your team.

not insubordination. no way. legally by state law you cannot be forced to work past your schedule or even a changed schedule without reasonable notice (notice depends on state... most say 24 hours).
however, our store stays until they're told to go home. they don't dare challenge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back