Archived Question about returns/price matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question as I haven't been able to find a definitive answer and I'm wondering if different stores handle these issues differently. The following are "hypothetical" scenarios.

Let's say a guest purchases a "hot" ticket item prior to black Friday -- like an iPad. And then they come in on Black Friday, want to return the iPad, and then repurchase it at the reduced price. Does your store accept this kind of return/resale? Does the guest have to repurchase this item from the sales floor, or are you able to sell it from the re-shop/sort location?

Take it a step further. Let's say a guest purchases two toys in early December. The toy is a "hot" ticket item. The toy then goes on sale for buy one, get one 50%. The guest purchases one toy at your store and another toy at another store and wants to price match at your store. Can/does your store attempt to make this kind of price match? If you can't make a price match, does/would your store allow the guest to return both items to your store and then repurchase the items from the re-shop/sort area?

Just curious if others have encountered this, what Target's official policy is, how much liberty your store's leaders take to "make it right" for the guest, etc.

ipad question: my store requires that the item go through reshop and be placed on floor before the guest can repurchase it. in the instance of BF, that would mean waiting in line to return it, then getting in line again to re-buy it.
toy scenario.. i don't know. i do know we are bending alot of rules for the Vibe these days.

For Black Friday, my store did not do any price matching or adjustments. So for the iPad, no. For the toys, the guest could get an adjustment if the promotion was a sale price (no BOGO, gift card offers). But for the BOGO, the guest would have to return the items and get different ones from the sales floor. My store doesn't do the whole return/re-buy thing or allow "re-shop stalkers."

Our ETL-GE told us explicitly not to do the first scenario. The second one, eh. If the guest was friendly, I would grudgingly do it...

We had a guest try the first one on Black Thursday. The guest service person said no. I said no. The ETL-GE said yes. I was not impressed.

The second one, I would vibe for the holiday price match, because it is a lower price, and Spot has been saying we would honor lower prices, so I would do it. However, it has to be a buy one get one at the current prices. IE if they were on sale the first time, they aren't getting the first sale price as well as the buy one get one. That has stopped some people in their tracks on that one.

If items are on sale at one store, they will be on sale at all stores.

Pretty much all hot ticket items (Electronics, MMB, toys, or high demand items) when returned will go back on the floor before it can be bought again.

Follow rules about price adjustments in your training and in the ad. It must say sale in the ad and fall within 2 weeks in order to get the new sale price

Stores cannot match clearance prices between other stores.

My store has pretty much thrown all the price matching exclusions to the wind. We price matched on Black Friday, Saturday, and Sunday AND during the exclusion period the few days before Christmas. My STL is super invested in the VIBE.

Why even have rules if she's going to break all of them?

My store has pretty much thrown all the price matching exclusions to the wind. We price matched on Black Friday, Saturday, and Sunday AND during the exclusion period the few days before Christmas. My STL is super invested in the VIBE.

I'm so thankful that my STL and ETL-GE (who are both huge over-VIBErs, to the point of annoyance) both followed the excluded dates. It made life at the Service Desk much easier for those few days! We are also rigidly enforcing the 15% restocking fees on all open, non-defective high-end electronics items (tablets, iPods, Beats, TVs, etc.)

To answer the original posed scenarios, I would not have price-adjusted the iPad. Price-adjusting (in addition to competitor price-matching) is excluded for Black-Friday sales, so I would have returned and made the guest go wait in line like everyone else.

The second scenario is a bit more flexible. If something is considered a "hot" item and doesn't fall under the standard price-adjustment policy (i.e. BOGO, free gift card, etc.), I normally call back to the floor to see if we are still in-stock on the item in question. If so, I usually make it right for the guest by returning and re-selling. But if it's something we're out-of-stock on, they need to wait for it to go back out to the sales floor.

Our STL didn't even know the blackout dates, until someone from electronics asked him over the Walkie, and he gave them the wrong information. Then I interjected and gave him the right information. Then he overrode me and said we were to do it, anyway.

We didn't price match on Black Friday, but we definitely do the second scenario regularly, and the GSTL has told me to break the rules as I see reasonable to make the guests happy because our STL will do so every time if he is called to guest service if/when the guest throws a fit (ie. things like price matching items that are out of stock on the target website, or even other stores websites, returning items that are way past their return date by using a drivers license and using a PDA to check the items sell price and manually entering the price).

Another odd one is they are having us return things like iPads, and so long as they are wiped of personal information - repackaging them and selling them at a reduced price rather than defecting them out.

We didn't price match for the holidays. It was suspended during black friday and christmas season.
I have a lot of people coming everyday for adjustments. My GSTL always encourage to vibe with the guest but yesterday I have a guest that was unbelievable. He wanted an adjustment for a Christmas tree that he bought early December and now it was on Clearance for 70% off. I have to ask him to bring back the item so we can put it back on the floor. Is it me or this is wrong?

First, if your store didn't price match at all the first couple of weeks in December, they weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing.

From what I remember, we can price match target.com if it is out of stock, but not other the other online competitors. That or I just vibe that one. I've had more than one person behind guest services tell me they don't even check for that, so a guest could get lucky on that one.

We don't repackage iPads. If they are open, they automatically go back to the CRC. We do get some money from that, so it isn't a total loss.

What will happen is that guest will bring back the tree, and get super ticked when you don't let him immediately buy it back at the lower price. He will say he wasn't told it had to go back out on the floor and will either wait for it to go back (and at my store it would go back quickly anyway so we weren't tripping over the damn thing) or he will demand to talk to an LOD who won't feel like fighting with him and will let him have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back