• Thread starter ColonelAngus
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ColonelAngus

I posted this in another thread and was wondering if you guys can give me a breakdown on protocol when it comes to workers who are habitually late/absent. I work with a guy in the backroom who is, as I mentioned before, always late for his shift, really slow and has called in more times than I can count. When I b*tched about it to one of the TL's I was told they were working on it (whatever that means). Clearly they have done nothing because he's still always late for his shift and has made no improvements on his productivity. Not only does this guy bring morale down for the others but we end up having to pick up his slack because he moves like a sloth.

So what's the deal? Is there some corporate BS that TL's aren't supposed to divulge to others when it comes to how they handle problem employees? I can never seem to get a straight answer from anybody about this sort of thing. I thought for sure he would've been fired within 90 days but he's still here.

How other TM's issues are handled isn't anyone else's business. They can't tell you if someone is written up, on a corrective action, or whatnot. You would want the same respect if you were disciplined for some reason.

That said, it takes a long time to get someone fired, if they are looking to do so. Someone else can break down the time for corrective actions and finals and such, but it takes a good long while.

And in the end, someone has to care enough to do anything about it. I had a coworker that was so constantly late, that people planned on her being between 5 and 10 minutes late every single day. They would say they cared and were working on it, but I knew that most of the time they didn't care to do anything about it. And when they finally did, it was a long process to even start, that it looked like nothing ever changed. And frankly, it didn't. If she would t have eventually quit, I suspect she just would have continued to be late, and it just would have gone on.

Eventually leadership realizes for what they expect for the money they pay, they have to pick their battles. And in the end, those of us who care, lose out.

How other TM's issues are handled isn't anyone else's business. They can't tell you if someone is written up, on a corrective action, or whatnot. You would want the same respect if you were disciplined for some reason.

That said, it takes a long time to get someone fired, if they are looking to do so. Someone else can break down the time for corrective actions and finals and such, but it takes a good long while.

And in the end, someone has to care enough to do anything about it. I had a coworker that was so constantly late, that people planned on her being between 5 and 10 minutes late every single day. They would say they cared and were working on it, but I knew that most of the time they didn't care to do anything about it. And when they finally did, it was a long process to even start, that it looked like nothing ever changed. And frankly, it didn't. If she would t have eventually quit, I suspect she just would have continued to be late, and it just would have gone on.

Eventually leadership realizes for what they expect for the money they pay, they have to pick their battles. And in the end, those of us who care, lose out.

I know that corrective action for other TM's isn't my business. The thing that irks me is that it places an unfair burden on everyone else and it makes me not want to work harder than I already do. I've had to fill in for this guy on multiple occasions because he was late or called in. I even explicitely told the TL's not to pair me with this guy because i'd end up doing the majority of the work anyway. My coworker clearly doesn't care because when he shows up late he doesn't apologize and he goes about his business like he didn't do anything wrong.

From my understanding is there are different stages of coachings. Target believes in improving people, so leadership is instructed to work in improving said persons productivity and performance rather than taking action of suspension or termination. Those are final results for individuals who cause issues. If the TM does not work out after multiple coachings from one department they will likely be cross trained and moved to another in attempt to improve productivity. Although there is corruption amongst upper leadership and with the right say so and enough they can performance grade them to termination.

It's a pretty intense process in terms of time and procedure for coachings / correctives, but regardless any issues involving attendance especially as severe as what you describe should be handled immediately in my opinion as a leader. Target doesn't have a strict attendance policy aside from no call no shows being an instant corrective, it's based upon patterns and how the leadership wants to go about handling it. If your TL or the TL over the TM in question is having trouble with the person still after numerous conversations then they should partner with their ETL or HR in order to get some support in the matter.

I'm really aggressive with attendance because that was a major issue when I took over Starbucks. People late on a daily basis or calling out left and right. Now the team shows up to work and my department is the lowest in call outs or excessive lates in the entire store.

coachings are legal documents that have to hold up in court if they ask for unemployment. target does not do unemployment so any firing has to be by the book. i won't say the process, but think of it more in what will look great in a court argument that they needed to be fired vs "this person sucks and we wanted them gone"

My department doesn't have a problem with attendance. We all know that a late or absence can be pretty disastrous over there, (sbux) and the team basically self polices--if one is sick, she will find her own replacement.

When I'm LOD, however, there are those team members whom you just can't quite count on to come to work as scheduled. It is simple to print an attendance report, and I find that showing it to the team member in question, can serve as a shock. Sometimes, they don't realize that someone is keeping track, and sometimes they genuinely don't realize how lousy their attendance is. Either way, it can help to improve someone's attendance.

I will say that PEER PRESSURE is another great tool. You can let the TM know how much extra work he is making for the team--just be a little nice about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back