Archived Question on second job

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifewithtarget

datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
Okay so I've worked at Target for about two years now. In my two years, I've done Hardlines, Softlines, Cashiering, Carts, and Guest Service. I've slowly gotten to the point where I feel like I cannot put forth my best effort and attitude because I just feel drained. I worked so hard this year fighting for Guest Service shifts and it's my favorite work center and now I don't even wanna do that anymore. I just feel like if I keep continuing this, I am gonna be even more miserable every time I show up for work.

Down the street is a restaurant that peaked my interest. I had a few questions regarding this:

1) Instead of quitting Target as soon as I get the job (if I did), would it be better to just split my time between the two? I work a max of 20 hours a week. I don't really want to work at Target at all, but I felt maybe if I reduced the amount of hours I have to work there with somewhere else, then I wouldn't feel as miserable, but then I am still covered if I end up not liking the new job, consequently having something I can fall back on?

2) As far as working out availability between the two jobs, how should I work out my availability so that I am not scheduled on the same day and get myself into a sticky situation?

3) Will my 2 year experience in retail, specifically guest service, help me with getting the restaurant job, not necessarily money, but just in general?

You will have to report second employment to your HR and ETL. Depending on their kindness, they may or may not approve a availability change for you for second employment.

You basically need to find out what availability you will need for the second job, and what your regular Target schedule is. You may need to give yourself an hour or so gap for travel, break, and change in uniform.

It really depends on the restaurant management, some like customer service experience. While some don't think retail and food service go together.

You will have to report second employment to your HR and ETL. Depending on their kindness, they may or may not approve a availability change for you for second employment.

You basically need to find out what availability you will need for the second job, and what your regular Target schedule is. You may need to give yourself an hour or so gap for travel, break, and change in uniform.

It really depends on the restaurant management, some like customer service experience. While some don't think retail and food service go together.

Key phrase - "Depending on their kindness". It can go two ways: 1) ETL says "your commitment is to Target first" and denies your availability change or 2) ETL says "Sure, I understand that a TM can't support themselves with this crazy scheduling and low pay" and approves your availability change.

You'll have to decide your availability at each. Target's system is pretty much easy to set. TM requests a new availability change and poof, ETL gets notification to approve or deny. The tricky part is trying to have 2 jobs where the desired availability for both is on nights and weekends. I denied all availability changes for Friday-Sunday because that was the hardest days for me to staff. Again ,this all depends on your ETL.

Your retail experience won't hurt but doesn't necessarily make you more desirable. If you worked with food then that would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back