Archived question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMNDZ bruhh

Former Backroom Dayside
when you become a TL, do you get to choose what store, and what work center to lead?

im feeling that urge to go for a TL position soon, my ETL and STL both think i would be a great TL, but i would prefer to be in a position where im familiar with like flow or backroom, backroom mostly though.

It all depends on what's open. You apply for the position, not just for team lead. Keep your eyes open for any that open, and quickly apply for it and follow up on it.

i think it depends on your store/district. When i became a TL i pretty much picked what i wanted and waited it out (knowing it was coming soonish) but after reading a lot of things on here i feel like i work for a very different place than most of you!

Our last promoted TL didn't get to pick her department. We all thought she was going to go to one (which she would have loved) and ended up in another. Rumor in the grapevine is that she hates it and is thinking about quitting....after just training a month ago. :-(

when you become a TL, do you get to choose what store, and what work center to lead?

im feeling that urge to go for a TL position soon, my ETL and STL both think i would be a great TL, but i would prefer to be in a position where im familiar with like flow or backroom, backroom mostly though.

If you passed the district interviews, they will pick your position. Usually they will look at your current store, but they may place you at nearby store. Sometimes Target will relocate you to another store in the district.

But more than likely, you will train at another store.

Our last promoted TL didn't get to pick her department. We all thought she was going to go to one (which she would have loved) and ended up in another. Rumor in the grapevine is that she hates it and is thinking about quitting....after just training a month ago. :-(

It's not a good idea to pass judgement on your job too soon. Every job I've had started out rough but got better.

they pick for you seriously? :/

it would make sense letting you get a TL position in a work center that you already know and strive in.

Its just whatever is open at your store or in the district. Lots of districts/stores like to play musical chairs. They will rotate TLs to different areas every year or so that way they can learn new areas just in case there is ever a need for a TL to take on duties for another TL when absent or vacant.

it would make sense letting you get a TL position in a work center that you already know and strive in.
That depends how you define leadership. Yes, you will be more comfortable in a position you already know. But when target is interviewing for team lead, it is not based on your abilities in that one workcenter. It is general leadership based. They need to determine how well you can lead a team- and not specifically one that you know every detail of- but a leader has to be able to handle unknowns well. They have to be resilient and adaptable. A global TL is always going to be more valuable to the store than someone who can only run their workcenter.

That depends how you define leadership. Yes, you will be more comfortable in a position you already know. But when target is interviewing for team lead, it is not based on your abilities in that one workcenter. It is general leadership based. They need to determine how well you can lead a team- and not specifically one that you know every detail of- but a leader has to be able to handle unknowns well. They have to be resilient and adaptable. A global TL is always going to be more valuable to the store than someone who can only run their workcenter.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Thats so funny. Because the ones that could lead ended up transferring out of my old store the first chance they could to get away from the madness. Thus leaving everyone who rather text and talk on their cells during shifts and talk crap about their own TMs and by the way couldn't lead at my store.

At my store (ULV), when a TL position opens up, they will interview all the applicants, promote enough to fill all positions, then ask people what positions they want. The last time we did this, 1 GSTL went to softlines TL, softlines TL went to an open Starbucks TL position, a FATM got promoted to a newly-created TL spot, one SFTL got eliminated and went to an open BRTL position, flow TM got promoted to an open CTL position, a flow TM got promoted to flow TL, and our pricing TL got eliminated and moved to the GSTL opened when the previous GSTL moved to softlines. The only TLs that stayed in their positions were our one SFTM, one GSTL, and our plano TL (although she took over pricing at that point).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back