Archived Questions about what to expect leading up to moving from TM to TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
im currently a Hardlines TM. I’ve been with Target for nearly four months (not too much past the 90 days period). I feel as if I am a go-to for a lot of tasks and all last week I received good hours despite payroll being tight, but was given a lot of crappier jobs where I was working by myself just trying to get them done.

Last weekend, closing with my HR ETL, she asked while helping me get into a bad zone in toys (somebody didn’t show up), asked if I was interested in moving up to team lead. Of course I said yes and she said she’s mention tell the STL, and also that it probably won’t be until January given this is Q4 and all, and that they typically give you some tasks to take ownership of to show you can handle it. Our Hardlines TL was recently promoted to SrTL too, and does always try to get me to work with him on stuff. I feel I have a good rapport with the leadership and guests.

I guess I’m wondering if (1) the tasks I was handling all week might be related to that (I was scheduled as presentation for the week, but that was scheduled before she talked to me about TL) and (2) what next steps I might expect, assuming the STL or whoever decides to move forward with this. Anybody whose been there who can say what typically happens and what i can expect, as well as any tips.

Thanks folks!

im currently a Hardlines TM. I’ve been with Target for nearly four months (not too much past the 90 days period). I feel as if I am a go-to for a lot of tasks and all last week I received good hours despite payroll being tight, but was given a lot of crappier jobs where I was working by myself just trying to get them done.

Last weekend, closing with my HR ETL, she asked while helping me get into a bad zone in toys (somebody didn’t show up), asked if I was interested in moving up to team lead. Of course I said yes and she said she’s mention tell the STL, and also that it probably won’t be until January given this is Q4 and all, and that they typically give you some tasks to take ownership of to show you can handle it. Our Hardlines TL was recently promoted to SrTL too, and does always try to get me to work with him on stuff. I feel I have a good rapport with the leadership and guests.

I guess I’m wondering if (1) the tasks I was handling all week might be related to that (I was scheduled as presentation for the week, but that was scheduled before she talked to me about TL) and (2) what next steps I might expect, assuming the STL or whoever decides to move forward with this. Anybody whose been there who can say what typically happens and what i can expect, as well as any tips.

Thanks folks!

Build a soild relationship with your TL and ETL as they will need them to back you plus give a hand in development. I would ask to sit down and come with a plan to take over a section of HL. You will be the go to person for that section and responsible for everything. If you aren't crossed trained in other work centers, ask to be trained as TLs are 1st to respond if TMs cant. Remember to lead my example and never ask anyone to do something tou wouldn't do yourself. This will help you become sucessful.

Skip the bench. Do yourself a favor, ask questions from leadership, your TL or the HR ETL regarding the HL TL position that’s vacant. Ask them if they are interviewing for the position. If they have an interest from anyone internal, if they are considering anyone internally. Then, say you would like to be considered for the position. See what they say. Show interest.

Thanks everyone. My HR ETL knows I’m interested and willing (not to mention capable). I appreciate the feedback from everyone

Skip the bench. Do yourself a favor, ask questions from leadership, your TL or the HR ETL regarding the HL TL position that’s vacant. Ask them if they are interviewing for the position. If they have an interest from anyone internal, if they are considering anyone internally. Then, say you would like to be considered for the position. See what they say. Show interest.

Id advise to ask if there's any open TL positions opened but if you really want to be promoted keep your list of TL positions you take waaaay open which cross training will help otherwise you sit on the bench longer. In my state TL positions dont open very often.

Yeah you don't have to be on the bench to interview for a TL position. We had a tm interview for a TL position not get it (but he got immediately moved to the bench).

People on the bench have first priority for tl positions but sometimes they don't want the position that is open so they stay on the bench rather than jump at the first opportunity.

How do you know if you’re on the bench? The way she talked it sounded more like “if you’re interested in it, we will give you some tasks and see how you handle and then start training, most likely after the holidays” but idk

How do you know if you’re on the bench? The way she talked it sounded more like “if you’re interested in it, we will give you some tasks and see how you handle and then start training, most likely after the holidays” but idk
Please dont play the guessing game when when it comes to your future. ask what she meant.If you are interested in moving up, let it be known. Be persistent . Work hard. Ask for feedback. Look for opportunities to improve. Express those opportunities to leadership. Own those opportunities. Make it happen. Be on excellent terms with all of your leadership and team. Be serious and steadfast. If you want it. You will have it ! Good luck.

Sounds like she has you in whats called "the pipeline" a name for the process where a team member with team lead potential has a current leader oversee their development.

When you're on the bench you will know. They will interview you and tell you you are on the bench. The pipeline is much more informal and there are many pipeline tms who never make it to the bench or get strung along.

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I’ll be persistent. I am on great terms with all of the leadership at my store, fortunately, as well as my coworkers and always work hard and take charge when given a task. I’ll continue this and talk to my HR ETL as well. Thanks again!

Reactions: Him
I have been in my current store for a few years now and I have not seen a single person promoted from the bench ,although we have had tms who deserved to be .One of the issues of course in that we is that our stl ,and any etl that matters change yearly and that resets things ,we have a large turnover of tls and except for a few transfers they are filled by externals.Weird that no new STL wants to promote an internal because they don't "know" them,but there is no issue with bringing someone in.

I was promoted to TL after being at Target for 7 months. Hard work and dedication were the key in my upward mobility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back