Archived Questions for cashiers/Guest services/GSA/GSTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my managers recommended me for a promotion to GSA. My other managers also think I would be good at it and are rooting in my favor. So I have several questions..

1) I know I have to go through an interview process, what sort of questions can I expect and what are they looking for?

2) When a guest wants a rain check on an item we're currently sold out of, do we enter the DPCI manually and rain check it or how do we do that?

3) I was hired as a cashier, I love Guest services but I'm no expert, will that hurt me?

4) I sometimes have a hard time getting other team members to listen to me when I'm giving them instructions (new team members). I don't want to be mean! I want to be nice but I also need them to respect me especially if I become a GSA.. Any advice on gaining respect without turning into 'the *****'?

Grab your trainer & learning plan for answers. Very easy to do. 9801 & dpci for rain checks, etc.
Gs is easy.
Ask tm's fr help. Like HL, coffee is in aisle whatever.

Last edited:
One of my managers recommended me for a promotion to GSA. My other managers also think I would be good at it and are rooting in my favor. So I have several questions..

1) I know I have to go through an interview process, what sort of questions can I expect and what are they looking for?

2) When a guest wants a rain check on an item we're currently sold out of, do we enter the DPCI manually and rain check it or how do we do that?

3) I was hired as a cashier, I love Guest services but I'm no expert, will that hurt me?

4) I sometimes have a hard time getting other team members to listen to me when I'm giving them instructions (new team members). I don't want to be mean! I want to be nice but I also need them to respect me especially if I become a GSA.. Any advice on gaining respect without turning into 'the *****'?

1) The questions will most likely be similar to the ones you got when you interviewed to hire in to the store. "Tell me about a time you..." Your answers should be 20% background info on the particular situation, 60% your behavior in the situation, and 20% the outcome. You want to brag a bit about what you did to solve a problem or overcome an obstacle. You'll also want to make sure your answers have sufficient scope, i.e. pick situations large enough where the outcome would have a noticeable impact. That said, you're still interviewing for a Team Member position, so they're not going to be looking for Executive answers.

2) Like HLM said, type in 9801+ the DPCI at any register.

3) I don't know if it would necessarily hurt you, but you're going to need to become very familiar with the processes, rules, and tricks to Guest Service. Your Service Desk TMs may often ask for your help processing something or ask for a decision on what to do in a certain case. Guest Services can be weird, and you'll never learn everything about it, but it'll help to get a good grasp.

4) The thing that helped me the most is making sure they know why I'm asking them to complete a task, or to do something a certain way. When I was a GSA, the other TMs up front knew that there was always a method to my madness. They knew that I knew what I was talking about, so they pretty much always listened and I was hardly ever the bad guy. However, sometimes you may need to be. Unfortunately, some TMs just don't like to listen, so you may need to be firm when asking them to do something. Don't be afraid to partner with leadership in the store if you need to.

I always mustered the "matron" look while saying "It wasn't a request."
Pairing it with a feral smile works, too.

Well, I mean I had a girl cock an attitude and I'm a bit young (early 20's) so the older team members seem to take that as 'I don't have to listen to you.' >.< it's frustrating. It's mostly the new team members though. It seems to me like even though they've had jobs before; they don't understand why they have to 'find' work when myself or another haven't provided them with another task. Such as, if you finish spider wrapping the product, don't go play on the cell phones, go zone or something, this isn't play time.
Annoying thing is, when I told them to stop playing and gave them some bs task just to keep them occupied, I got a vibe of "I don't have to listen to you.".
I get that I'm not a GSA, but I had been told to supervise them. I was the only team member over there who wasn't new. There were no GSTL's, GSA's, ETL's, etc. I was it. Its annoying that even after basically babysitting (they were brats) these TM's that I got attitude from some of them. >.> I don't know what to do to help them understand that I don't tell them to do things because I'm a jerk, I do it because I was either told to or because their playing around and I don't want them to get introuble with the TL's.
Last time I caught them slacking off and told them to go be productive, I not only got attitude after warning them of the camera straight above them, but half of them completely ignored me. Not even a second later they were called down to the office. When I told my GSTL (also their GSTL who had told them to go reshop.), ahh she was pretty upset.

And when it comes to rain checks, do you combine the DPCI with that number? Or do I need to enter a space?

Anytime something like that happens, talk to a Team Lead or an ETL right afterward, and they can deliver a coaching. As a GSA, you don't have a lot of direct authority, but as long as you're making sensible decisions, leadership should have your back.

And no space or anything for the raincheck. If you're making one for an item with a DPCI of 123-45-6789, you'd just type 9801123456789 and hit enter.

Also, let your in stocks team know you are doing a rain check. So that, a rain check pad can be put up on the home location.

I'm in my early 20's as well, and it can be difficult with some people. But, there's nothing you can do to change a person's personality.

You have to interview for GSA even if you're GSTL wants you to become one? I never knew this.

Some stores will conduct GSA interviews (same questions as a GSTL) while some just appoint a GSA.

Anytime something like that happens, talk to a Team Lead or an ETL right afterward, and they can deliver a coaching. As a GSA, you don't have a lot of direct authority, but as long as you're making sensible decisions, leadership should have your back.

And no space or anything for the raincheck. If you're making one for an item with a DPCI of 123-45-6789, you'd just type 9801123456789 and hit enter.

That's good to know. I hope I can get some form of respect. I just need to know that they won't disappear to the bathroom without asking (had this happen), because my first thoughts would be "are they on break? Did they quit??"
>.<
I'm starting to think being GSA will be very stressful.

Whenever they start playing "potty-tag", make a list of who, when they left/returned & how often. Checklane videos can confirm their actions. Remind them to notify you (or any GSTL/GSA) when they're stepping away. Turn the list over to the GSTLs or ETL.
You could also station at lanes farthest from the bathrooms or decide to conduct random restroom checks.

You have to interview for GSA even if you're GSTL wants you to become one? I never knew this.

Some stores will conduct GSA interviews (same questions as a GSTL) while some just appoint a GSA.

Since GSA is still a Team Member position, they aren't really required to do interviews, but oftentimes they will if the person is looking to continue moving beyond GSA or if there are several people looking for the position. It's just up to the store execs.

That's good to know. I hope I can get some form of respect. I just need to know that they won't disappear to the bathroom without asking (had this happen), because my first thoughts would be "are they on break? Did they quit??"
>.<
I'm starting to think being GSA will be very stressful.

It certainly is very stressful. A lot of extra responsibility for not much extra pay or status. But if you are hoping to promote beyond it, it'll be a good learning experience. Just remember to always partner with your GSTL, ETL-GE, and other leaders in the building.

I'm relatively new to GSTL position. Heck, I'm relatively new to Target (less than a year). But if a peer TM started telling me when I could go potty or instructing me about anything, I'd probably ignore him, writing him off as a pushy wannabe. Seriously, as a GSA, I got warnings about being overly "coach-y" with cashiers. As a cashier, had I instructed a fellow cashier how to behave, I'd have been termed.

Back off a bit. Respect demanded isn't as gratifying as respect earned.

I'm relatively new to GSTL position. Heck, I'm relatively new to Target (less than a year). But if a peer TM started telling me when I could go potty or instructing me about anything, I'd probably ignore him, writing him off as a pushy wannabe. Seriously, as a GSA, I got warnings about being overly "coach-y" with cashiers. As a cashier, had I instructed a fellow cashier how to behave, I'd have been termed.

Well, nobody should be a jerk about it, but some TMs like to consistently take bathroom breaks at inappropriate times, such as when the checklanes are already backed up. As a GSA, your top priority is doing what you can to keep the checkout process moving quickly and smoothly for guests, so sometimes you need to tell a TM to wait 5 minutes (unless it's an emergency).

Sorry I should've worded that better, I didn't mean like 'ask permission'. I meant more of 'Tell a GSA or GSTL' just so we wouldn't be like WTF(ing), wondering if they just quit.
I have a little more leeway at this store for reasons I can't disclose for fear of giving away my annonimity, I really only get onto them because I don't want them to get fired. I do it in the nicest way possible, like "hey, you guys probably shouldn't be doing that.. If an ETL saw you, you could get coached.". I don't want them to hate me.

Different stores treat the GSA role differently, too. When I was a GSA, we were allowed to coach the front end TMs (full-on coaching, with documentation and everything). We have 1 GSTL and 4 GSAs, so most of the time, it's a GSA running the show. Our leadership wanted to make sure that the GSAs didn't have to basically tattle for every coachable thing.

Normally if they ask you to apply that means they want you to be in that position. GSA is pretty easy once you get into the swing of things. And as for getting people to listen to you don't be discouraged if they don't at first. Just lead by example. It takes time to get team members behind you especially if your young or new but don't worry trust and stuff comes with time.

Normally if they ask you to apply that means they want you to be in that position. GSA is pretty easy once you get into the swing of things. And as for getting people to listen to you don't be discouraged if they don't at first. Just lead by example. It takes time to get team members behind you especially if your young or new but don't worry trust and stuff comes with time.

Aghh thank you that's helpful to know. Apparently we have no open spots at the moment, but I have a feeling some of the new GSA's won't last too long. ;) <--(I don't mean that winky face in a weird, creepy, pervy way btw.)

Well, I mean I had a girl cock an attitude and I'm a bit young (early 20's) so the older team members seem to take that as 'I don't have to listen to you.' >.< it's frustrating. It's mostly the new team members though. It seems to me like even though they've had jobs before; they don't understand why they have to 'find' work when myself or another haven't provided them with another task. Such as, if you finish spider wrapping the product, don't go play on the cell phones, go zone or something, this isn't play time.
Annoying thing is, when I told them to stop playing and gave them some bs task just to keep them occupied, I got a vibe of "I don't have to listen to you.".
I get that I'm not a GSA, but I had been told to supervise them. I was the only team member over there who wasn't new. There were no GSTL's, GSA's, ETL's, etc. I was it. Its annoying that even after basically babysitting (they were brats) these TM's that I got attitude from some of them. >.> I don't know what to do to help them understand that I don't tell them to do things because I'm a jerk, I do it because I was either told to or because their playing around and I don't want them to get introuble with the TL's.
Last time I caught them slacking off and told them to go be productive, I not only got attitude after warning them of the camera straight above them, but half of them completely ignored me. Not even a second later they were called down to the office. When I told my GSTL (also their GSTL who had told them to go reshop.), ahh she was pretty upset.

Being told to supervise other TMs is fine, but if you are still on the same level as those you are supervising then be nice to them.....you said that you had a TM cop (not cock) an attitude because you are younger than they are. Well, age rarely makes the difference when working with TMs. The difference is in HOW you treat them. If I was working with you and you were telling me what to do or were threatening me with LOD stuff or reminding me that cameras were around, I probably wouldn't listen to you, either.

As a GSA you will be a supervisor.....as a TM being asked by a GSA or GSTL to supervise you have to remember that you are on the SAME level as they are. Approach TMs with requests and not threats. Also, if you are watching over newer TMs it helps to start doing a task and then ask the newer ones to join you. Or, give the newer TMs the options of a few tasks......say something to them about end caps needing to be straightened, bags needing to be filled, or pick-up re-shop from the lanes. Tell them that these things need to be done and then YOU start with one of the tasks and ask them to choose one of the other tasks to do.

If you don't have TMs respect now it won't get better by becoming a GSA. You need to be a TM, not just the supervisor because you were asked. UNTIL you are an official GSA don't be "the boss" be a fellow TM and work together. You will get respect if you work along with your TMs.....and then when the GSA title comes these TMs will already know that you are a worker and will be more likely to respect you in a new position.

Please, never threaten a TM about doing their work.....for they'll remember and then give you a real bad time when you become a GSA.

Being told to supervise other TMs is fine, but if you are still on the same level as those you are supervising then be nice to them.....you said that you had a TM cop (not cock) an attitude because you are younger than they are. Well, age rarely makes the difference when working with TMs. The difference is in HOW you treat them. If I was working with you and you were telling me what to do or were threatening me with LOD stuff or reminding me that cameras were around, I probably wouldn't listen to you, either.

As a GSA you will be a supervisor.....as a TM being asked by a GSA or GSTL to supervise you have to remember that you are on the SAME level as they are. Approach TMs with requests and not threats. Also, if you are watching over newer TMs it helps to start doing a task and then ask the newer ones to join you. Or, give the newer TMs the options of a few tasks......say something to them about end caps needing to be straightened, bags needing to be filled, or pick-up re-shop from the lanes. Tell them that these things need to be done and then YOU start with one of the tasks and ask them to choose one of the other tasks to do.

If you don't have TMs respect now it won't get better by becoming a GSA. You need to be a TM, not just the supervisor because you were asked. UNTIL you are an official GSA don't be "the boss" be a fellow TM and work together. You will get respect if you work along with your TMs.....and then when the GSA title comes these TMs will already know that you are a worker and will be more likely to respect you in a new position.

Please, never threaten a TM about doing their work.....for they'll remember and then give you a real bad time when you become a GSA.

I never threatened them over anything. I actually got a good comment card over how I treated them WHILE handling a boat load of work myself (back stocking, push carts, security and POG's).
I was straightaway nice to them, showed them how to do things that they needed to do properly (security stuff), a few of them were really into it, they were really excited and upbeat. Others just seemed like they couldn't care less, which is whatever to me because I figure if that's the attitude they bare during the time they work here, they won't last too long.

I asked them not to play on the phones purely because I knew the ETL was heading our way and I didn't want them to get in trouble for it.

Surprisingly enough there really wasn't much for them to do. I had a few of them spiderwraping and the ones who didn't want to stay went home (ETL approved leaving early.).

The incident with the camera was a separate day, they were supposed to be zoning but a group of about 10 were all crowded around one small area doing nothing. I told them to act like they were doing something (be productive) because there was a camera and if the LOD saw them, they could get in-trouble.

All my GSTL's have said I would make a good GSA because they know I'm friendly to TM's and guests regardless of my workload or stress level, and I get everything done while still helping others with their tasks. If I was rude to the TM's I'm sure they would know, the GSTL's have friends that are new TM's. After today I can say that the TM's like me, apparently they were just tired because it was the last hour of their shift and they wanted to go home. I trained two more people and ran around like a mad person helping each department with whatever they needed done.

I understand that from my original post it likely sounded like I was rude to them or had this odd superiority complex just from having been appointed supervisor of them, but honestly I wrote all that when I was still stressed about what had happened and worried we were going to lose TM's (we did, they terminated five of them.).

I would never threaten a TM or boss them around. They were assigned tasks before I was appointed supervisor. I just helped them out and made sure they did everything properly then assigned new tasks when they finished. The ones who didn't want to do anything else just went home. >.<

It's frustrating to have lost five TM's after about a week, but like I said, the LOD's watch the camera's... The other new TM's are more careful now, and they've improved SOOO much in their cashiering skills. (except stupid training mode never wants to work properly).

=\

I've pretty much decided to just watch their backs so they don't get in trouble. That's how my GSA did it, he would let me know if I was breaking a rule that I wasn't aware or if I needed to do something a certain way, especially when he forewarned me that the LOD's could see us on the check lanes from their above offices.. Best thing I ever learned. Lol saved me a lot of grief. :p

Hmmmmmmm, at my store, if we need to go to the restroom, we just tell the TM closest to us. The only time we would tell a GSA is if it's that time of the month, and we need to go to our locker to get some product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back