Archived questions of creativity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed in my store there are a lot (I mean A LOT) of creative people. Artists of all kinds, using all sorts of media from illustration to film and all point between
Most of the Targets have wall space galore that could possibly be used as a gallery of sorts. I was thinking it would be pretty cool to have submissions of art post them (properly hung of course) and show the world and other TM's what talented amazing people we work next to everyday.

maybe even doing some contest thing Target themed???? How can we do this oh Target Guru's??? Please advise.. :)

I would talk to your STL. It might not be considered "brand," but your STL can talk to someone in the hierarchy if they're on board.

I believe Target is all about BRAND. The TARGET brand. So any empty wall space is going to be taken up by Target to promote itself, the RedCard, or a vendor.

Really wallspace at eye level is rare at Target. You might be able to get something put up in the breakroom. But nothing on the salesfloor.

Last edited:
I totally get the BRAND culture I will talk to my STL and see
What we can see. It would be cool to have a gallery with a BRAND
THEME. Even ya know. Featuring the different types of art
People specialize in.

Honestly I doubt something like this would happen in stores, and here's why. Even though there are vast differences between stores with regards to layouts, prototypes, and the like, Target is crazy about creating an experience that's recognizable and coherent throughout their network of stores. Ever go to a McDonalds in one place and it looks totally different than a McDonalds in a different city or even the other side of town? Target does everything they can to mitigate that, with the CSE (Coordinated Store Environment) signing on the walls and such, to planograms and adjacencies that are as similar as possible between stores.

Long story short, even if half the stores in the company started doing this, it would create an inconsistency that would raise confusions and affect guest perception ("Why doesn't this store feature artwork like the store on the north side?")

I don't think OP meant for the salesfloor, but maybe in the breakroom? I think it would be great!

Target does actually run contests from time to time that would fall into this type of thing. Red Magazine once in a while will have something, and they used to be open for submissions for the back page for old photos, or target dog collections, etc. Not too long ago they had a design a water bottle, and design the next target dog contests. A lot of contests are being pushed from Red Magazine over to Red360 so I would check over there. As for in the store target is very particular as to what gets put up and where as mentioned already. You best bet would be to suggest it to the "fun committee" at your store for something like that on the individual store level or to submit to an existing contest on Red360/RedMagazine, or submit your own idea that they could run in the future through one of those sources.

Our store does "Design a dog" to raise money for united way. Basically we get in a bunch of "blank" stuffed target dogs and we get to dress them up however we see fit. We then auction them off to fellow team members and give the money to United Way. Last year we had a mermaid, Link, Jersey Shore and a few others. This year was a smaller group but there was Gandalf, 11th Doctor, and Pikachu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back