Archived Quick Coupon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

B26

You know when you scan a coupon (usually for a buy on get one free) and it brings up a huge list of all scanned items?

Why is this?

At my store we have a coupon abuser who comes to only my line (Even though I am probably the best cashier, I look very young and she probably thinks she can take advantage of me) and has a bunch of them. My GSTL told me that that is what happens when the coupon value is greater then the actual value of the product and just to stop taking them.

My other GSTL said they are completely valid and to just scan them and select the item it's good for.

What do you do when you get these?

If she's buying items that are all from the same manf (J&J, P&G, etc), she may be attempting to d-code.
D-coding is when the manf has a generic UPC that works on most of their products. D-coders will attempt to use them on other items, hoping you'll simply scan without looking closely. They generally wait until you've scanned & bagged everything before handing over their coupons, thinking that you won't REALLY go through all the bags to verify purchases. The list comes up when the system doesn't know which item to attach it to.
The main thing is to scan purchases first, scan coupons &, if the list comes up, look at the coupon to see what it's for & if it's on the list. If not, check with your GSTL but, depending on $$ amt they might just vibe it on through.

If she's buying items that are all from the same manf (J&J, P&G, etc), she may be attempting to d-code.
D-coding is when the manf has a generic UPC that works on most of their products. D-coders will attempt to use them on other items, hoping you'll simply scan without looking closely. They generally wait until you've scanned & bagged everything before handing over their coupons, thinking that you won't REALLY go through all the bags to verify purchases. The list comes up when the system doesn't know which item to attach it to.
The main thing is to scan purchases first, scan coupons &, if the list comes up, look at the coupon to see what it's for & if it's on the list. If not, check with your GSTL but, depending on $$ amt they might just vibe it on through.

Thanks for the reply.

Love the "vibe it through" lmao. One of my GSTL's does that so much and it gets me so pissed to see some of the a-holes get away with it.

Kind of sucks that I'm being told two different things by two different managers so I appreciate the response.

You know when you scan a coupon (usually for a buy on get one free) and it brings up a huge list of all scanned items?

Sounds like you've run into the BOGO Glitch.

In the past, the system would automatically know how much to deduct if the coupon was associated with the correct item. If the guest didn't have the exact item, POS would ask how much it should deduct (how much is the coupon?). Lately, when you scan BOGOs, it brings up the list and you have to pick an item, and regardless of the price of the item, POS deducts the maximum allowed value of the coupon instead of the correct amount.

SOLUTION: Your GSTL may tell you to do it differently, but this is what my GSTL told me. If you get one of those, instead of scanning the coupon, hit K4 for Discounts and K2 for Manufacturer's Coupon, then type in the correct amount and write it on the coupon in the space provided (so the manufacturer knows how much to reimburse Target). The coupon won't be associated with the item like it should be, but at least POS will deduct the correct amount this way.

Reactions: B26
I'm not sure about you guys, but our store has two sets of extreme couponers who come in, so we have become very familiar with the coupon policy. We have even gone so far as to Mysupport multiple questions regarding the policy because some of their coupons didn't feel right. They regularly take their totals from $400+ down to $20-$30. Their transactions are a pain because they tie up one of my registers for close to an hour on average, but that's a different topic. Here are our findings:

• If it is a manufacturer coupon we accept it no matter the verbage. We once had one that said "Valid only at CVS pharmacy" but MySupport said it was okay.
  • If it is a manufacturer coupon and rings up higher than the price of the item you CAN NOT change it according to MySupport. It seems shifty but it's there. Look it up.
  • You can only accept one Target Web coupon. Verbage on those coupons states one offer per guest. A coupon is one offer so the ones that say "Target Web Coupon" do not follow the four identical coupon policy.

Those are some of the larger issues we have come across so I hope it helps!

By the way you should make sure the guest is being honest when the BOGO screen pops up. Some of our extreme couponers act like they know more about our registers than we do so it is always best to have two people there to verify!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back