R.I.P. Inbound

Does anyone here think they'll eventually just phase out inbound team? We're getting less a less hours every week. Even though when we come in, almost every vehicle is still there completely full.

So before we even start the days unload, we have to stock all of yesterday's truck. And a handful of people stock most of a 2200 peace truck in a hour 1/2.

So why do we get relegated 4 hour shift, when we are seriously the only ones in the store that stock any freight!?

Last edited:
Does anyone here think they'll eventually just phase out inbound team? We're getting less a less hours every week. Even though when we come in, almost every vehicle is still there completely full.

So before we even start the days unload, we have to stock all of yesterday's truck. And a handful of people stock most of a 2200 peace truck in a hour 1/2.

So why do we get relegated 4 hour shift, when we are seriously the only ones in the store that stock any freight!?
Eventually the DC will be palletizing all freight by department and shipping it shrinkwrapped. I'm not familiar with how exactly the small format stores stock, whether they work off the pallet or grab things and throw it on a uboat, but you will likely be doing that as well. Only a small percent of stores (high volume) will still have a true unload in a few years.
It's been Targets plan for a long long time now but the success of the small format stores is pushing them to finally jump in and start looking to retrofit lower volume stores to the same process.

Eventually the DC will be palletizing all freight by department and shipping it shrinkwrapped. I'm not familiar with how exactly the small format stores stock, whether they work off the pallet or grab things and throw it on a uboat, but you will likely be doing that as well. Only a small percent of stores (high volume) will still have a true unload in a few years.
It's been Targets plan for a long long time now but the success of the small format stores is pushing them to finally jump in and start looking to retrofit lower volume stores to the same process.
People have been saying this for years, they didnt spend all that money on new vehicles and roll out a whole new process for DBOs, just to revert back and do a pallet system.

People have been saying this for years, they didnt spend all that money on new vehicles and roll out a whole new process for DBOs, just to revert back and do a pallet system.
The only thing that will change about process store side is the unload. Everything about working the freight will remain. Rather than spending ~20 hours on an unload every day, it will take maybe 30 minutes to unload the pallets off the trailer. From there team members would cut the shrink wrap and load boxes onto a uboat and bring it to the floor to work it.
When I mentioned working off the pallet I was simply saying I was unsure if small format stores worked off pallets or utilized uboats as well.

I don’t know how that would work for my store . We get 12-14 trucks a week .
The plan is currently only for lower volume stores. Starting with D and working up. From my personal experience palletizing transition (I spoil the store I transfered from when I can) I would say any store up to an A can be palletized. A+ and beyond would be tricky at our current productivity goals. so for a ~AAA like yourself, it's not going to happen.

I would think with palletized freight, you'd be able to detrash right on the line while loading the uboat. Or utilize the uboats for loading up transition not set yet to bring to backstock.

The only thing that will change about process store side is the unload. Everything about working the freight will remain. Rather than spending ~20 hours on an unload every day, it will take maybe 30 minutes to unload the pallets off the trailer. From there team members would cut the shrink wrap and load boxes onto a uboat and bring it to the floor to work it.
When I mentioned working off the pallet I was simply saying I was unsure if small format stores worked off pallets or utilized uboats as well.
I'm all for this, as being an inbound TL, but ill believe it when i see it.

I am tired of hearing about palletized freight. Fucking do it already. It will make my job easier. I'm not looking for hours. I want to get in, get it done and get out.
That means you would have an attitude problem lol. I know of few of my peers at different stores where they been told that all they do is get in get their job done and go home and that’s an attitude problem because they are not making conversation with certain etls .

I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp and sort of dread the day when the DC basically pre-sorts everything on the truck. Not sure what other stores repack boxes are like, and mine are better than they used to be, but they're still sometimes a mess. I'm defecting product all the time because it gets crushed in the repack under heavier stuff - sometimes, it's just a crushed box that no one will buy; other times, it's a bottle of body wash that has popped open and oozed onto other containers. So much fun to clean up, especially if it's one that smells gross (like the grape "Frozen" bubble bath lately - bleh).

That means you would have an attitude problem lol. I know of few of my peers at different stores where they been told that all they do is get in get their job done and go home and that’s an attitude problem because they are not making conversation with certain etls .

Believe me nobody thinks I have an attitude problem, lol. I've been around. My leaders all know me well. I never ask for hours unless I need them. I am direct talk the same way to my Etl tl and SD. We have mutual respect for each other. They all know I want to get in and get out. I told them I would work 7 to 11 and ask for hours when I need them. Everybody's happy!

Believe me nobody thinks I have an attitude problem, lol. I've been around. My leaders all know me well. I never ask for hours unless I need them. I am direct talk the same way to my Etl tl and SD. We have mutual respect for each other. They all know I want to get in and get out. I told them I would work 7 to 11 and ask for hours when I need them. Everybody's happy!
I’m not saying you do . I was just poking fun to some of my peers for just getting in and getting it done and they call it an attitude problem. I’m happy for you

Not sure how long many of you have been doing inbound. I’m also one of those whose pushing to get pallet wrapped trucks. I get 12-14 trucks as well.

Here is the thing. We spend too much time on the unload portion and not enough time on the floor. My team unloads fast and even still I can just imagine how better it’ll be with more time on the floor.

Now how working pallets work? The same way we used to do it before the sort and stock method came about. We used to have the team go to the pallet and grab the boxes in the same aisle, put it in a cart, push, return to pallet and repeat. Now instead of carts, we’ll simply use Uboats.

To me this is a better solution. However, I also been hearing this is coming and it’s been a long long long long time with nothing coming into fruition. Despite the pretty sort and stock system, the actual unload is antiquated. Grabbing each box, putting it on the line, etc. is just wasted energy. The stress is on the store too much with unloading. They need to sharpen up their DCs because that’s where the problem starts. Change the way they send trucks, relieve stress on the stores, better execution is bound to happen in my opinion.

We used to have the team go to the pallet and grab the boxes in the same aisle, put it in a cart, push, return to pallet and repeat. Now instead of carts, we’ll simply use Uboats.
I had a bowler he would run all the pallets to the floor and bowl it in their areas . But I agree with you for us is just to much to give exceptional sort by the end of the second truck . Because the gm team don’t start freight until I’m well into my second truck .

I had a bowler he would run all the pallets to the floor and bowl it in their areas . But I agree with you for us is just to much to give exceptional sort by the end of the second truck . Because the gm team don’t start freight until I’m well into my second truck .

Same here. We did the bowling out method and I still do it with Uboats. I bring my the uboat to the aisle and bowl out because it’s faster to me. Or maybe I’m just old school. I basically was trying to give people an idea on how this can work by using the example of how you sometimes attack a pallet by breaking it down into carts.

Yeah this is actually what I’m fighting for. My next position I’m trying to aim for a title that’ll allow me to influence the process on a larger scale as I feel it needs to be revitalized. Not by people who look at numbers but by people who do it and know the reality of the situation.

I would think with palletized freight, you'd be able to detrash right on the line while loading the uboat. Or utilize the uboats for loading up transition not set yet to bring to backstock.
A newish small format store has their freight palletized freight. They break down the pallet and stage it on U-boats to be pushed. Depending on what time it is, they may push it to the floor with the pallet but that’s rare. They usually don’t have enough time before the store opens to do that.

I heard, I think last year, that the only way to get freight properly sorted before shipment would be to close the DC, change and streamline their physical layout so grabbing stuff would be a minimum of fuss, and change the software that says what to ship when. And that doing that is too expensive so instead it will fall on the shoulders of the stores forever.

I heard, I think last year, that the only way to get freight properly sorted before shipment would be to close the DC, change and streamline their physical layout so grabbing stuff would be a minimum of fuss, and change the software that says what to ship when. And that doing that is too expensive so instead it will fall on the shoulders of the stores forever.

So basically how they want us to undergo Backroom modernization while assisting guest, doing sets, pushing, pulling, reshop, etc?

They love to ask the stores to pull off the impossible but let the DC rock 😂

Same here. We did the bowling out method and I still do it with Uboats. I bring my the uboat to the aisle and bowl out because it’s faster to me. Or maybe I’m just old school. I basically was trying to give people an idea on how this can work by using the example of how you sometimes attack a pallet by breaking it down into carts.

Yeah this is actually what I’m fighting for. My next position I’m trying to aim for a title that’ll allow me to influence the process on a larger scale as I feel it needs to be revitalized. Not by people who look at numbers but by people who do it and know the reality of the situation.
I was given the go ahead for overnight and it thank god

Attachments

• 3F68D02D-AA07-471D-B06E-322B5156A0EE.jpeg
    3F68D02D-AA07-471D-B06E-322B5156A0EE.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 61
Back