Archived Rant about my "amazing" STL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me: LOD come in please, LOD
*minutes pass cuz I am with a guest*
Me: LOD come in please.
*time passes*
*LOD *name* come in please*

A few minutes later I happened to walk by TPS and she said "you're looking for ____ right?"
Turns out he was sitting outside with his feet propped up on an over turned cart talking about Fantasy Football.

I'm all for the man taking breaks, he's a busy man, but seriously.. There are no other ETLS in the store, SR TL is on lunch (the etls/tl are on a Team Build) we need an LOD.

I heard he does this a lot.
I finally get a hold of him and I said, "LOD _______ Would you be able to get *enter nickname for GSTL closing....money cart thing* ready so I can start closing the lanes)

K, here's where he drives me NUTS.

We are supposed to get money for Electronics, food ave, starbucks, and jewelry in the bags, and then 20 bundles of money for the front lanes. As well as the over night bag, a coupon bag, and the media/check bag.

I got 3 bundles of $150. Pharmacy (which closes their own registers) and 1 Electronics bag....
What?

I ask him to meet me at guest service so I can ask him, since I dont wanna embarrass him over the walkie.

Me: Oh thanks for getting *nickname* ready but there were some things missing. I need ___________
Him: Who the hell do you normally close with? I have NEVER heard anyone ask for the things you are asking me for.
Me: I usually close with ETL-GE, ETL-HL, ETL-SL, If I am correct, this is my first time opening with you.
Him: sure looks like it. *scoffs* Well what do you need so I can head back in there and attempt to get it to YOUR standards

I gave him a list of the things I was missing. I was shocked. I have closed like 10 times since getting the promotion, and I've gotten pretty used to it, I actually LIKE it.

He came back a few minutes later with the correct money but for some reason, he took back the Overnight bag, coupon bag, and media bag. I asked him where he put them and he said
"you want me to do your job for you?" then he laughed.

I told him "I'm sorry. I'm sure everyone does it differently. I just have to learn how you do it. Usually when I close with ETL-GE, ETL-HL, ETL-SL, they have everything sitting on top of *nickname* ready for me to grab.

He said: Which is?

I said: What I normally get is the money for the front lanes, which is 20 bundles, then I get 2 ele bags, 2 food ave bags, 1 starbucks, 2 jewl, the blue over night bag, and the bags for coupons and media.

He rolled his eyes and walked back in and got it for me.

I had one register offline so I had to pop it. I was in the middle of popping it when he called me on the walkie. I answered and he said "what are you doing to that register?" ON the walkie.
I guess he was hanging out in Guest Service and watching me and decided to use the walkie to talk to me rather than come 20 ft to me.

------

Then i had to go to the CO with him. I was nervous and shaking. but that was surprisingly easy compared to the rest of the day.

I just don't get it. My ETL-HR is pretty much the same way, she gets it RIGHT but she's like.....super snippy all the time.

I was so scared that I was gonna get in trouble and he was gonna write me up. I was so scared the whole night and then my husband said "You didn't use attitude, you simply informed him what you needed, you answered all of his questions politely, and you were RIGHT in asking for what you asked for. There is NO reason he can write you up. None at all."

I hope he's right, lol.

But I was actually told by a few people that I am doing really well and they are proud of me. He just scares the crap out of me. I really wanna transfer cuz this store is full of twisted, corrupt people. even the ETLs that have been there for years HATES the new etl staff.

Last edited:
Your STL sounds like a douchebag, sorry :(

I just tell our LOD how many bundles i need for the end of the night, and they get it no questions asked ._. I don't think our STL does any LOD stuff since we usually always have 2 ETL closers at all times (high vol Super-T)

As far as ETL-HR goes, it sure seems like Target gets the most interesting people to fill that position so far.... Our ETL-HR is rather the same way, as was our last ETL-HR. I wouldn't say that I dislike him/her though.

Don't worry about what your STL or even the other ETLs think about you. Just develop a good partnership with your GSTLs and ETL-GE and you should be okay :)

What's funny is the printout the register gives you tells you EXACTLY how many bundles you need. All our ETLs do is go into the CO, get the bundles, and put them in the cash cart. I will admit every ETL in our store is different in how they do the CO and the close. All of our bags are in the vestibule outside the office, so we have all of that ready to go before the LOD gets us the money. You were definitely right in challenging your LOD, but Imerzan is correct -- as a GSA you are the first one (in most cases) the team will look at when promoting to GSTL, so it's best you have a decent relationship with both your GSTLs and your GE. ALso get as much training out of the position as you can -- good luck in your new role!

What's funny is the printout the register gives you tells you EXACTLY how many bundles you need. All our ETLs do is go into the CO, get the bundles, and put them in the cash cart. I will admit every ETL in our store is different in how they do the CO and the close. All of our bags are in the vestibule outside the office, so we have all of that ready to go before the LOD gets us the money. You were definitely right in challenging your LOD, but Imerzan is correct -- as a GSA you are the first one (in most cases) the team will look at when promoting to GSTL, so it's best you have a decent relationship with both your GSTLs and your GE. ALso get as much training out of the position as you can -- good luck in your new role!

Thank you. I mean, I know ETL's and STL's have a lot to learn. I don't blame them for messing up. But he's been our STL (he claims he's been a STL for 15 years) for about 4 months and my other GSA/GSTL say he has NEVER got it right. Ever.

I don't know. I just dread when I close with him. I know he's gonna be the same way next time.. :(
He scares me. O.O

Don't let him rattle you. Simply be matter-of-fact when stating what is needed. If he questions how you do it, just say you're following best practices.

Wow--your STL sounds like a major jerk, but it also sounds like you handled the situation very well. I spent about two and half years as a GSA in my store and I also got nervous around certain leaders in the beginning. Dealing with pain in the neck ETLs/STLs gets easier as you gain confidence. Remember that they really don't know what it is that you do. I've had to explain my tasks to many ETLs. My philosophy about ETLs/STLs is that they come, and then they go, so no point in sweating the ones I don't like.

Wow--your STL sounds like a major jerk, but it also sounds like you handled the situation very well. I spent about two and half years as a GSA in my store and I also got nervous around certain leaders in the beginning. Dealing with pain in the neck ETLs/STLs gets easier as you gain confidence. Remember that they really don't know what it is that you do. I've had to explain my tasks to many ETLs. My philosophy about ETLs/STLs is that they come, and then they go, so no point in sweating the ones I don't like.

True, thanks. :D

The sergeants are just about always the ones who have to train the officers.
They are in the trenches and know what is really going on but have to pass that information up without bruising the tender feelings.
It's a tough job and I think you handled it pretty well.
Let's just hope that you have an officer that learns and not one that has to be fragged.

Aw I'm so sorry your stl is a duche bag :( and you know what I feel like all hr etl's are a little weird...just try to gt to know them a little bit better maybe he'll stop being a jerk I hope your gstl's and etl ge are much better

My etl ge is... bipolar, literally.
She will be all nice one second and when I tell her we only got 8 surveys at the end of the night she gets all mad and sometimes cries.
I'm okay with her since I understand it's medical. There's one GSTL who absolutely everyones favorite. She kisses soooo much butt they see her as God.
None of the cashiers, or GSTLS like her. Shes super rude to the cashiers but if anything gets said to any of the ETL's it never gets fixed.
Everyones like, "No, no she does no wrong, its you"

But other than that, I am fine. I just miss how it was before. I'm sure almost everyone here does. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back