Rant : I'm a depressed cart attendant. Wanna move positions but nobody ever listens to me

I got hired as a CA in 2017. I've been working that job for almost 3 years and absolutely hate it. The entire store fucks with the cart attendant and gives them so much shit. I think it's common knowledge that cart attendants are treated like absolute shit. They are technically the stores bitch - expected to be parking lot bringing the carts inside while simultaneously cleaning the bathrooms, doing a carry out, getting trash, cleaning up a spill in market, etc. Not to mention the fact that not one person could give two shits if the weather is extreme, you're still going outside. My major problem is the awful management, namely the TL for the front. He's one of those bastards that is constantly on the radio, constantly telling CA's to do shit he's too lazy to do himself. I can’t tell you how many times he's told me to move stuff to the backroom, fill in for the cashier going on break, organize baskets, etc. This job fucking sucks when your being micromanaged like a motherfucker. I lose all momentum when I'm constantly being pulled into the store to do different tasks. My main job is getting carts. I shouldn't be spending half my shift doing crap other people in the store don't wanna do. I know what my job entitles me to do. But when I receive calls to do things like put soap in the breakroom or I need you to take this back or take this here or there, that’s when I draw the line. Like do it your fucking self. We are literally the back bone to the store. We have the shittiest pay, working conditions can change in a matter of seconds. We have the utmost responsibilities. I even once had a chill dude tell me I should get paid way more for working outside in such harsh weather. But who am I kidding, Target doesn’t give a shit, but they sure act like they do. CA's at my store only last for a couple months until they're gone but I've been grinding for 3 years, I think I deserve to be moved somewhere else. I've been asking to get moved to Starbucks, Cafe, or Electronics but nobody' ever listens. I guess I'm stuck doing this shit job as long as I'm here, which probably won't be very long.

Note : This job got a whole lot worse when one of the new TL's said cart attendants weren't allowed to wear headphones anymore back in June. What kind of bullshit rule is that??? Nobody said shit about headphones for years but now this new guy comes in and makes up a dumbass rule???? Fuck that shit. One of the biggest benefits of being a CA was being allowed to wear headphones, and this new turd came in and took that privilege away.

TLDR : Cart attendant blows

Last edited:
Sometimes having a formal sit down with a leader helps. Like saying, "hey, could we talk if you have a minute" and then ask to talk in an office if they try to talk to you right then and there.

Immediately gives them the clue that something is up, maybe something serious.

Just be honest but not whiny. Like. Hey, I've been in the same role for 3 years and I'm ready to learn something new. Etc.

You might want to try your HR. They could ask if you've approached your TL, to which you can reply, yes. Try not to complain about your TL cause that sends the message that you'll complain in your new department too.

It's annoying social politics sometimes. But they literally will keep you in a position if they think you could be a liability to another TL. Or if they dont think you'd be good in a dept that's more guest focused vs task.

Good luck!

It is in the handbook about not wearing headphones.

Yeah, but nobody said anything about it for YEARS. Even now, no one in the store cares about CA's wearing headphones except our one TL. None of the ETL's or GSTL's give a shit. And what pisses me off the most is I see other people in the store wear headphones (Starbucks, Softlines) and NOBODY tells them to take them off. There's guest interaction with both those positions, it literally makes ZERO SENSE why they get to wear headphones but not the cart attendant

I've been at my store a loong time. Only 1 cart attendant has managed to move to a position insde the store. That was long enough ago that most people now don't know he was ever the cart attendant. Its possible but not likely

Keep in mind I'm going to sound like an asshole here but I'm not trying to.

CA is one of those jobs that people look down their nose at because they haven't done it. And you will never ever change that perception because it's ingrained into culture. It's pervasive, and no matter how hard you try, you aren't going to change it.

Lowe's/HD generally have decent starting rates, require minimal skill sets/experience, and will likely hire you assuming you interview marginally well. It would be a huge step up for you. Target isn't doing you any favors and you are clearly not in a good place mentally right now concerning them. So just find a new job and leave, for you it's really that simple.

It's possible to me moved, but not entirely likely. I've ever only seen two of them make a permanent change; most of the others (past and present) have been cross-trained in other areas, but were still officially cart attendants.

OP listen to me, listen to others. Your management is usurious, crude, entitled among other descriptors. Reading your post is indicative of your abilities and drive, however as an aside, you've been there too long, but that's another issue. You know how to write, it shows, no spelling errors with some very salient points. There are many very good managers and there are more lousy ones. Yours are lousy. That will never change. NEVER browbeat yourself, never! Be bigger than those assholes, go elsewhere. We had one at the store on Neptune, she was fucking pathetic. ALL the other ones were fine. Bear in mind you will run into people in life who have fucked up lives and they will take their garbage out on you. They will be envious. Google the word Schadenfreud. Study the definition. Put in your notice Work out your 2 wks. Leave. You will do better and be happier. Captain's orders.

What you described is exactly what a CA is suppose to do.
How you feel about your position is exactly how many feel about theirs.
The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side.

Nah, the grass is most definitely greener on my side. I'm not a cart attendant, I have been scheduled as one after cart attendants have quit or been fired before they found replacements however, and fully agree with it being the worst position in the store despite never having had it as my official workcenter.

A lot of people used to bitch that GSA was a shitty position that deserved more than $1 over Cashier. They might have been right, but I vastly preferred working as a GSA to working as a Cart Attendant, and as a GSA I at least got "some" extra pay, even if it was a relatively trivial amount. As a GSA I also got a fuck ton more respect than any of the cart attendants have ever received. (Not saying they don't deserve respect, just that they don't receive it.)

The no headphones thing though, that's not new. Maybe no one enforced it before, but it's always been a thing, it's because with headphones on you are more likely to get hit by a car that you can't hear.

Since it’s difficult for your store to keep cart attendants, they probably won’t let you move to another position. It’s easier for leadership to keep a high performing TM where they are, even though developing TMs is part of a TLs job. It doesn’t hurt to ask your TL or HR to be moved, but if you get a negative response or they start stringing you along, it could be time to move on, especially if you are not on benefits. Losing benefits can be expensive, but to get away from a dead end job and micromanaging asshat TL, it might be worth it to you to look into other alternatives. Costco and Home Depot are good places to try if they are in your area. Once you have another job you can treat Spot as a second job until you are set up in your new one, then give your notice, leave and never look back. Good luck!

They don't wanna lose a cart attendant and have to train a new one if your doing the job. Also no food Ave or Starbucks you will regret it trust me.

Sounds like it's time for you to move on to other opportunities.

As stated above, your complaints are normal everyday tasks assigned to CA in our store (if we even *have* a cart attendant for the day.)

Back bone of the store is a stretch, but I get that you are unhappy.

And, you're right, Target doesn't give a shit about any of us.

When the cons out weigh the pros, it's time to move on.

Sounds like it's time for you to move on to other opportunities.

As stated above, your complaints are normal everyday tasks assigned to CA in our store (if we even *have* a cart attendant for the day.)

Back bone of the store is a stretch, but I get that you are unhappy.

And, you're right, Target doesn't give a shit about any of us.

When the cons out weigh the pros, it's time to move on.
Sounds about right. Some days, there's only a closer (scheduled like 4.5 hours); other days, we have no one.

I know a fat guy one time lost weight over the summer just being CA. I feel you. I covered a shift once, and I'm Like wow this will actually make me quit this job. Being a CA is horrible.

There are ways to break this abusive cycle of micromanagement.

1.) When u respond on walkie when they call for "cart attendant" , respond with your name. Saying your name will let them know you're a person, not a title.
2) if you're driving a row of carts, and they suddenly want you for carry out, tell them to give you a minute to finish what you're doing.
3) cover cashier/guest service shifts for anyone who doesn't want to come in, you need presence inside the store more and to let them know you want to be in there.
4) befriend GSTLs. They're your saviors.
5) go to ETLHR if you want to move up. Never go to your department etl.

I just started at Target a few weeks ago and I’m literally like the only main car attendant there and it has it’s good and bad. Just had my first closing shift tonight and it sucks. I do all this stuff ahead of time and I’m ready by 9:05 yet I have to help others like really. I know I was scheduled 9:30 but all other sections could be done by others who work inside the whole time. So closing and a lot of the extra stuff is trash but on the bright side of being one, You’re not constantly dealing with customers and get to have some alone time to yourself. And the thing I hate the most is when leaders and other employees tell me to do other stuff for them like I’m already doing enough right now let me handle it, otherwise do it yourself.

Back