Re-applied to target & got rejected

Hey guys, I have worked at target for about two years in 2017-2019 and just re-applied recently for beauty and style. Only 10 hours later, I received an email from HR saying that the hiring team has rejected me and I don’t understand why.
When I worked at target prior, I was as a cashier for the first year and 6 months, then transferred to beauty for the last 5 months of being there. I fulfilled my two week resignation and left on good terms with the company. I year and a half later they have rejected me on the spot. I’ve truly enjoyed working at target; it’s a great company with good people and I felt like I’ve fit it very well. If there’s any input to why I got rejected, I would gladly appreciate any suggestions for clarity.

Last edited:
Sometimes they auto-reject to clean out applications, sometimes there actually isn't an opening even if it lets you apply. I was rejected at least three times even though I had lots of experience and open availability. I just kept reapplying every time the system would let me. Finally hit it at the right time.

If you didn't apply with fill open availability, I know at a lot of stores they're just auto rejecting now because availability issues is a problem this day and age

Sometimes they auto-reject to clean out applications, sometimes there actually isn't an opening even if it lets you apply. I was rejected at least three times even though I had lots of experience and open availability. I just kept reapplying every time the system would let me. Finally hit it at the right time.
Stemming off HappyGoth-

Target is required to have basic applications in the system. Your store might just gather applications and review them as needed. If you put you only want to work beauty and they aren't hiring for that then they will pass. Availability also is huge. My store would give those with open availability an interview. Job experience is 2nd- if I see you bounce around or reasons for leaving aren't consistent then I'd pass.

I’ve applied multiple times as a cashier, and the last time I applied was just recently this past week. I don’t understand why Target keeps rejecting me, even though I have the experience needed. I also want to point out that my older sister used to work for this company up until 7 years ago; she was wrongly fired because she wanted to take some time off after our mother had a stroke between my birthday (11/18) and Thanksgiving of 2014 and they didn’t believe her. Target is a great company to shop with, but not the best place to work at.
Did you leave on good terms?

I’ve applied multiple times as a cashier, and the last time I applied was just recently this past week. I don’t understand why Target keeps rejecting me, even though I have the experience needed. I also want to point out that my older sister used to work for this company up until 7 years ago; she was wrongly fired because she wanted to take some time off after our mother had a stroke between my birthday (11/18) and Thanksgiving of 2014 and they didn’t believe her. Target is a great company to shop with, but not the best place to work at.
Do you have open availability? Were you invited to interview? Are you requesting 40 hours a week?

I look for a couple things when hiring.

Generally I have specific days I need people for. They might NOT be weekends! I might just have a bunch of people that can't work Wednesdays for various reasons. Or I could just need to hire someone to work from 6pm-close three nights a week and NONE of those nights are weekends. So sometimes I don't really need more "people" but I do need a person that can work a given shift and there's no other way to make the schedule work.

I often DO NOT look for people that put down that they want 40 hours a week. If they have great availability I might look at them IF I think I can get them close, but if you put down that you want 40 hours a week I'm probably not going to interview you for Starbucks or as a cashier, because it's really hard to get those positions to 40 hours a week. I would rather hire 2 people that want 20 hours, than one that wants 40, because for someone who wants 20 hours, 15 is close enough, but 30 isn't close enough for someone who wants 40.

If you've been invited to interview and were still turned down, I'd get feedback from family members (if you're on the young side, ask people who aren't your age but also older and less close to you) as you're probably blowing the interview. I personally look for someone who speaks easily (even if not fluently) and has sensible answers. Communication is very important to me, so I look for people who are comfortable communicating and don't panic when asked a question. If you throw any red flags in an interview, I won't hire. Things like blaming previous bosses and co-workers for problems at previous jobs are a big red flag, and I've had people give really weird situations for "tell me about a time" questions -- I've had answers from refusing to follow their boss's rules and still not getting hurt (hello, it was an OSHA requirement that you do the thing you refused to do!) and using convincing a girl to go out with him after extensive harassment on his part to illustrate sales experience.

Well, at my store there's a very tight clique... and if you aren't part of or willing to meekly take their abuse and leave, you might as well forget about it. Yeah, I knw Spot frowns on such things in theory, but...

I know my specialty etl will reject ANY application that is not 100% ooen availability. If thats all you applied for thst maybe the issue. It something I have been noticing alot applying for places myself. Open availability or instant rejection. Its annoying

Do you have open availability? Were you invited to interview? Are you requesting 40 hours a week?

I look for a couple things when hiring.

Generally I have specific days I need people for. They might NOT be weekends! I might just have a bunch of people that can't work Wednesdays for various reasons. Or I could just need to hire someone to work from 6pm-close three nights a week and NONE of those nights are weekends. So sometimes I don't really need more "people" but I do need a person that can work a given shift and there's no other way to make the schedule work.

I often DO NOT look for people that put down that they want 40 hours a week. If they have great availability I might look at them IF I think I can get them close, but if you put down that you want 40 hours a week I'm probably not going to interview you for Starbucks or as a cashier, because it's really hard to get those positions to 40 hours a week. I would rather hire 2 people that want 20 hours, than one that wants 40, because for someone who wants 20 hours, 15 is close enough, but 30 isn't close enough for someone who wants 40.

If you've been invited to interview and were still turned down, I'd get feedback from family members (if you're on the young side, ask people who aren't your age but also older and less close to you) as you're probably blowing the interview. I personally look for someone who speaks easily (even if not fluently) and has sensible answers. Communication is very important to me, so I look for people who are comfortable communicating and don't panic when asked a question. If you throw any red flags in an interview, I won't hire. Things like blaming previous bosses and co-workers for problems at previous jobs are a big red flag, and I've had people give really weird situations for "tell me about a time" questions -- I've had answers from refusing to follow their boss's rules and still not getting hurt (hello, it was an OSHA requirement that you do the thing you refused to do!) and using convincing a girl to go out with him after extensive harassment on his part to illustrate sales experience.
I have a question maybe you can answer for me. I applied recently twice, the first time they told me to reapply on a certain date and I did. I got invited for the video interview a few days later. They called me yesterday and asked me a few follow up questions. She asked about my availability and was it still open I explained yes. She then asked what shift I was looking for and I told her whatever they have available m. She seemed pleased with that answer asked if she could put me on hold, then came back a few minutes later and said she would give me a call back by 5. I never heard back from her but I’m the middle of the night got a rejection email. It’s didn’t say them at they went with another more qualified candidate just that I wasn’t chosen. I really want to call and ask her where did I go wrong but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do. But I would like to know as it could help me in the future as far as applying for target or any other job. Would it be ideal to call and ask?

I have a question maybe you can answer for me. I applied recently twice, the first time they told me to reapply on a certain date and I did. I got invited for the video interview a few days later. They called me yesterday and asked me a few follow up questions. She asked about my availability and was it still open I explained yes. She then asked what shift I was looking for and I told her whatever they have available m. She seemed pleased with that answer asked if she could put me on hold, then came back a few minutes later and said she would give me a call back by 5. I never heard back from her but I’m the middle of the night got a rejection email. It’s didn’t say them at they went with another more qualified candidate just that I wasn’t chosen. I really want to call and ask her where did I go wrong but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do. But I would like to know as it could help me in the future as far as applying for target or any other job. Would it be ideal to call and ask?
You can call and ask but I have never given a truly honest answer because people misinterpret the situation or simply get argumentative and abusive. Which only confirms that it was a good choice to not hire. It is unlikely you will ever know what happened or why you were turned down. If you truly want to improve your chances, visit askamanager.com and start reading the archives.

Hey guys, I have worked at target for about two years in 2017-2019 and just re-applied recently for beauty and style. Only 10 hours later, I received an email from HR saying that the hiring team has rejected me and I don’t understand why.
When I worked at target prior, I was as a cashier for the first year and 6 months, then transferred to beauty for the last 5 months of being there. I fulfilled my two week resignation and left on good terms with the company. I year and a half later they have rejected me on the spot. I’ve truly enjoyed working at target; it’s a great company with good people and I felt like I’ve fit it very well. If there’s any input to why I got rejected, I would gladly appreciate any suggestions for clarity.
Did you put in a crappy availability?
Forget this post. lol. I see it’s originally from April 21

I really really really wish DCs would go back to an interview and tour before hiring. Turnover is atrocious, so many DO NOT understand what they are signing up for, and these jobs should never be anyone’s entry into the workforce. Factor in no drug testing, it’s a joke. we see most of these hires first week, and you already can pick out the 1-2 from a group of about 20 who may actually last through their 90. What a waste of time and money.

I would call and ask. I tell people if they ask.

On your application, and this is pretty much for every retail company now, you have to be a desperate little twat with 24/7 availability, and you have to be someone who knows everything about customer service, and willing to do it all for minimum wage. Good luck my friend!

Back