Archived ready to leave...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an hrtm and have been seeking another job for a few weeks now. I haven't interviewed anywhere but if I do get offered somewhere else and they need me immediately, what should I do? I feel like as the hrtm I can't just up and leave, especially without proper notice. And with fourth quarter up, I almost feel as though it's too late for me to leave without screwing over everyone. Anyone have any advice? I keep putting Target on this pedestal and it needs to stop.

You don't want to burn your bridge with spot so make sure you give notice & that your new job lets you work that time frame out.
Then if the new job falls thru/doesn't work out/comes with the boss from hell/other unworkable scenario, you'll have someplace to come back to, even if you're just marking time.

It's common practice for an employee to give a 2-week notice. If your new employer won't honor that, is that someone you really want to work for?

Yup.

Hrtm is a tough position to fill suddenly. Your replacement needs to be trained.

Your not the only HRTM that feels this way. My HRTM talks a lot about quitting too. Don't worry about what quarter it is to factor in your decision. You are much better off leaving now than in November.

While it may not be morally right to up and quit on them, you have to take the job that you feel will better suit your needs and make you happy. But at the same time quitting on the spot pretty much throws away anything you accomplished at Spot as far as them giving you any references.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be good, please. Please work the whole 2 weeks. As @redeye said, you want a part time gig with spot.

Be good, please. Please work the whole 2 weeks. As @redeye said, you want a part time gig with spot.
I can think a of a million things people want more than working part time at Target

Personally, if the new job job paid more and they needed someone now. I'd explain to Target that I'm doing what's best for me. If it's the same pay, id try to work out some two week schedule.

But at the same time quitting on the spot pretty much throws away anything you accomplished at Spot as far as them giving you any references.
Spot doesn't give out references. Ever.
Exceptions being if you have a TL or ETL who gives a personal reference to prospective employers but even that's frowned upon by corp.

Let's say you got a job offer and put in your notice before the next two weeks out schedule is published; your two weeks might be until the Saturday of the last published schedule but ASANTS.

If you get a new job they ought to understand that it is the proper thing to do....and the right thing to do. As SrTLall says....if the place you are going to doesn't respect the idea of leaving without notice (from Target)....is it really a company that you want to work for?

If you leave without notice, then your "new" employer might wonder if you'll leave them the same way.

Finally.....NEVER.....NEVER...NEVER.....burn your bridges.....for you do not know what the future holds.
Someone here mentioned that they had been at Target and went someplace else and ended up working with someone that they had worked with at Target...I can't remember the outcome, but what if the person was someone who get screwed because you quit without notice......could be a nasty situation.

If you are not happy with your job, then you should go ahead and leave for a different job. However, I recommend giving your resignation notice and working out your last two weeks. You don't want to burn bridges because, like others have said, you never know what the future holds. I have seen people who left for a better job and thought that they would never come back. After a few months to a year, they wanted to return to Target because their new job didn't work out. Luckily for them, they left on a good note so they were rehired.

I haven't been posting lately, but congrats on your internship. :O
Someone changed the default titles to job ranks (based on post counts). @HRZone's first said Sr. Team Leader after the change, which actually seemed in the realm of possibility. I was about to congratulate him before I figured out what was happening.

I haven't been posting lately, but congrats on your internship. :O

It's an automatic title due to my post count. Thank you though.

I have seen people who left for a better job and thought that they would never come back. After a few months to a year, they wanted to return to Target because their new job didn't work out. Luckily for them, they left on a good note so they were rehired.

As a fellow hrtm you probably see this as well. About 3% of our applicants are people who are nonrehireable former target employees.

Some tell me they didn't work out their two weeks Because they got another job. Do they expect me to take them again? Fool me twice...

I don't think you should ever worry about WHEN you leave Target (be it November or March) but it is pretty crappy to not work out your two weeks. That applies to ANY job.

Last edited:
Finally.....NEVER.....NEVER...NEVER.....burn your bridges.....for you do not know what the future holds.
Someone here mentioned that they had been at Target and went someplace else and ended up working with someone that they had worked with at Target...I can't remember the outcome, but what if the person was someone who get screwed because you quit without notice......could be a nasty situation.

You can but you better know there is no going back. And be willing to accept a situation like described above. Cause sometimes you need the gas can and a match.

As a fellow hrtm you probably see this as well. About 3% of our applicants are people who are nonrehireable former target employees.

Some tell me they didn't work out their two weeks Because they got another job. Do they expect me to take them again? Fool me twice...

Yes, the same thing at my store.

I don't think you should ever worry about WHEN you leave Target (be it November or March) but it is pretty crappy to not work out your two weeks. That applies to ANY job.

Agree. My team recently lost a HRTM and ETL-HR within a month or so apart but we are still doing okay because they let us know ahead of time. We were able to coordinate a transition plan until we have replacements. Just up and leaving with minimal to no notice is is the least thoughtful way to end your employment. Hence, any person who leaves this way will most likely be granted the non-rehireable status.

It's an automatic title due to my post count. Thank you though.

I don't see the problem.

We had people with perfect attendance who found a new job who quit formally right away because it was more money vs working at target,

When jobs hire, they hire for now, and a lot don't have orientations so you sometimes have to start right away. I'm not going to fault someone for trying to better themselves. If someone just NCNS then sure, but if they come in a explain to HR that hey, they want me to start right away or no job then I'd say good luck to them.

A lot of people that are still rehirable have had more call outs than those two weeks worth oh would of added up to for a good employee trying to find a better job

When jobs hire, they hire for now, and a lot don't have orientations so you sometimes have to start right away. I'm not going to fault someone for trying to better themselves. If someone just NCNS then sure, but if they come in a explain to HR that hey, they want me to start right away or no job then I'd say good luck to them.

Except most jobs would let you work out your two weeks if you simply ask. I have had people hired here tell me they will stop showing up to their old job and I explain, no you should work out your two weeks. We can wait for you

When jobs hire, they hire for now, and a lot don't have orientations so you sometimes have to start right away.

Except most jobs would let you work out your two weeks if you simply ask. I have had people hired here tell me they will stop showing up to their old job and I explain, no you should work out your two weeks. We can wait for you

Most jobs will allow you to give two weeks' notice because they want that in turn. But I saw someone land a really nice job at an insurance company and the insurance company gave her an offer on a Thursday and told her show up Monday or don't show up at all.

Someone changed the default titles to job ranks (based on post counts). @HRZone's first said Sr. Team Leader after the change, which actually seemed in the realm of possibility. I was about to congratulate him before I figured out what was happening.
Well I made a boner.

Most jobs will allow you to give two weeks' notice because they want that in turn. But I saw someone land a really nice job at an insurance company and the insurance company gave her an offer on a Thursday and told her show up Monday or don't show up at all.
Yup, with issues like that I'd totally ditch Target

Of course I'd call out twice or 3 times to gauge the other job but if it's permant I'd straight up tell target I gotta do whats best for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back