At my store, each register is supposed to have:

1. a pen
2. extra register tape and coupon paper
3. 2-year replacement plans/2-year service plans
4. bags
5. cleaner and paper towels
6. brown paper bags for wine
7. sticker handles for paper towels/toilet paper

(However, we always have plenty of Red Card Terms of Service pamphlets!)

Is that really too much to ask? It's very frustrating when you need something RIGHT NOW and you have to run around to different registers like a chicken with its head cut off to find what you need!

Anyone else have this problem?

I think only about 3 or 4 of our registers have pens. As far as bags, coupon and register tape, sticky handles etc. those are supposed to be replaced by the closing cashiers every night, at least at my store, even though it doesnt get done most of the time. I mostly do pricing and we have been waiting to get more clearance inserts and lower price balloons for almost four months now. its super annoying to have to hunt down those things

We always had our opening cashier(s) immediately start working out bags, handles, register tape and coupon paper, etc etc. before it got busy. We'd have the closing cashier(s) focus on doing a good zone of impulse buys, endcaps, and OneSpot if it's slow enough

If I were you, before you start, I'd check and make sure you have those things on your lane. If they're not there, grab them from a different register. Unfortunately, I've found that doing it yourself is usually the only way certain things get done. Closing techs are supposed to replenish supplies in the pharmacy as well, but they don't get done half the time so, on top of what I have to do as the "opening tech", I'm also replenishing the supplies that the "closing techs" didn't do so I can actually DO what I need to do (labels, paper, rings, drams, etc.) and not having to move from drawer to drawer or switch the printers and run to the other side of the pharmacy. The ONE thing that I don't think ANYONE but ME does is replenish the bags. One of the other techs was using the LARGE pharmacy bags one morning when I came in (she opened and I was the 9am tech). When I asked why, she said, "We were out of small bags". Instead of walking over and getting small bags, she used the large ones!!! smh!!!

Pens are hit or miss at our registers. We use them so infrequently, I don't worry about them too much. Bags I encourage the cashiers to fill when they have time. We fill the register paper and coupon paper when someone notices it is getting low. When I started working there, all of the registers used on any sort of regular basis (and not just 4th quarter) had cleaner and paper towels. Now all of the registers share one or two of these. I may push for those to come back as we are getting closer to summer and the belts get dirtier then.

Lately our opportunities are that we have been out of gift card envelopes for a good month...they may have finally been ordered last week. And we are out of stickers for the kids. Not a huge tragedy for me, but some of the cashiers love giving them out.

Back when I detailed the lanes before Q4, I pulled out registers to clean around & underneath. I discovered the pen graveyard on the center (most-used) lane: I recovered no less than 54 pens & 18 highlighters from that one lane.
After doing ALL the lanes, I had recouped enough supplies to last awhile.

It's not often that our checklanes aren't missing any of those items. Apparently it's gotten worse since I defected to the sales floor - makes back-up cashing an adventure.

Wow, I thought my store was average about this, turns out we're a beacon of light in regards to supplies....

Every register has a pen (it's a necessity when we play our daily game of card readers going down so it's musical registers time, K8 sign paper copy please!), coupon and receipt tape, 1 extra coupon ink cartridge, SRP pamphlets, red card pamphlets, a bottle of perdiem and wipes, wine bags, sticky handles for bulk paper items, a copy of the weekly ad, a pair of scissors, enough gift cards to last 2 weeks, etc...

Only thing we're running low on/out of at the moment is big bags because of a bit of an ordering SNAFU with the bags, but they've been ordered. Also speed tags for guest service, had to steal a roll from the fitting room tonight.

I use a pen daily, and it can be what I forget to make sure I have! Same here, lots of sign paper going on.... Old people like to sign paper by choice, add in register issues...

We are out of large bags, and have to use rolls of the everyone hates. What are those for anyway?

Overall, short of bags some weeks, we have all the supplies we need on hand.

We were told with the electronics reset that supply orders were held up since they had so much in fixtures shipping to stores. That and we had three orders held and two of them combined into one. The third? Still in limbo. But at least we now have coupon printer tape and a few other things. We had empty printers and were about to run out of regular receipt tape.

GSTL 1 told us friday there weren't going to be large bags until we used up the rolls.

Today, GSTL 2 said he had ordered some, and went and found them... and gave them to all of us.

He's for sure winning the "human/compassion" award of the two.

(but, I again used the my pen all. day. long. - multiple people writing checks, coupons that needed amounts, sign the paper copy stuff)

Every time a guest writes a check, they ask for a pen. Half the time, I have to go searching for one. And nearly every single time I go searching for one, they decide to just use the one they have with them. Go figure.

Every time a guest writes a check, they ask for a pen. Half the time, I have to go searching for one. And nearly every single time I go searching for one, they decide to just use the one they have with them. Go figure.
Grab one from tsc. That's what I do when I forget bring one with me.

When a guest has to sign a receipt tape (k8, or they press OK before they sign) you can have them use the red pens on the card swipe things. The paper we have is a special thermal make and the pressure/heat from the pen allows the signature to show up.

Just remember to tell the guests to "press a little harder than you usually do." Even with this the signature is sometimes light.....but if Target wants signatures on the paper then they better get pens that stop writing because of the wax on the paper.

Also, before I open at my register I make sure that I have bags, plenty of cash in the drawer, and the two receipt tapes before I'll open. Sometimes the GSA or GSTL get annoyed (especially if it busy) but I need my supplies to do my job.

We run out of Redcard application books pretty regularly....not too bad unless you have a guest say that "yes, I'll get a Redcard" and then you have to search several registers to get the book.

The big bags in the rolls are a pain in the behind....we've been using them for months. Once they are gone then we'll be able to use the "bags in a box." I'm wondering if there was a number change or some type of a title change that has caused stores to order the wrong bags.

Sometimes our store runs out of medium bags......do other stores have this happen, too? How can a store run without bags?!?

Sometimes our store runs out of medium bags......do other stores have this happen, too? How can a store run without bags?!?

More often than you'd expect. Either the order gets delayed or the GSTL wasn't on the ball and didn't actually order them. At my store, the latter is the case more often than not.

We finally got gift card envelopes and gift registry paper! It's been a beautiful thing!

We ran out of medium bags once. That was not pleasant.

At FA & SB we're always out of receipt tape (we're the forgotten children of the front end) so I usually go scavenging.
When ya used to work front end, you know where they hide all the supplies ;)

I can see your lack of receipt paper and raise you the Starbucks register being down for 9 days now. And no one seems to be able to figure out how to fix it. We have other registers down, but this is getting seriously bad.

Did they yank the motherboard?
They did when ours was down (11 days) after a nasty storm.

I have no idea. Various registers have been down since they did the last upgrade last month. First it was photo and jewelry, then they got those working and a lane we don't use much went down, then a guest service register joined that one, then Starbucks, then another lane we only use for fourth quarter...

The only saving grace is that someone *cough*me*cough* was smart enough to find the dpci codes for the Starbucks stuff so they could stop no bar coding it (after the first three days) and at least get the stuff rung up under the correct department again.

Word on the street is our GTL is on the case now, and heads may roll very soon. We'll see.

GTC to you for finding the DPCIs!
By not ringing items under the SB div (254), the loss of sales for that area would take a steep nosedive which - in turn - would decimate their hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back