Archived Reasonable or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting serious here how much of the chemicals were bulk backstock after the initial push phase. What I mean is lets take an example DPCI, we will call it DPCI #51. When you pushed the initial boxes of DPCI #51 you were able to fill up the home location and any endcaps for it. As you are going through whatever is left of your 100 cases you come across more DPCI #51. If you are properly noting what you filled under no circumstances should DPCI #51 leave the pallet or flat or whatever you originally had your 100 cases on. Separate those cases in an area where you can designate backstock and then on to the next DPCi and the next one after that. Do you remember how many different DPCIs you pushed out of those 100 cases?

Does this ETL expect you to also zone, backstock, and throw away your trash along with pushing in this 45 minutes?
There was no bulk backstock, and yes we have to zone and take care of trash but we don't have to backstock yet. We still have a backroom team to do it for a couple more weeks. Backstock was minimal.

Use to be 30 seconds a box with my old LOG during the old process. Flow team was a well oiled machine then too. New LOG has let the place fall apart. There’s no accountability anymore. If you can’t put a box of chem on a shelf in less than a minute... 😒

It's bad leadership to set your team members up to fail, which is what happens when a leader purposely gives people more to do than the leader knows can be done. At the end of the shift, the TM has failed. That's not going to motivate anyone, especially if it's every shift. No one likes failing. It just makes people think the leader is unrealistically demanding. Oh, but, since the leader doesn't expect everything to get done (it's just "motivation") there are no consequences for not getting everything done. So, now the leader's requests are not to be respected. Why bother trying if the demands are unrealistic and there is no punishment for not meeting them? But, wait, some people who do even less than the "real" expected amount might get coached? Which people? How much less than the stated expectation? TMs don't know. So, now the leader is not only unrealistic and not to be respected. The leader is also arbitrary.

Does a leader who is unrealistic, not respected and arbitrary sound like someone you want to work for? No. Is this a person you are going to give your best effort for? No. Is this a person you like in any way, shape or form? No. (But, if you're smart, you'll make them think you do.) It's just the shitty boss who serves as the reason for getting a different job or cause for celebration when the shitty boss is gone.

You'd be a pretty shitty leader if your team didn't know if you're coaching them or not.
A single word could be coaching since there's no forms to sign with a real one. And again, maybe nothing is being said because it's evidence gathering for correction far, far more severe than a simple coaching. Maybe giving the fear of "is today going to be the day?" works with some people, but not with a lot of other people.

A single word could be coaching since there's no forms to sign with a real one. And again, maybe nothing is being said because it's evidence gathering for correction far, far more severe than a simple coaching. Maybe giving the fear of "is today going to be the day?" works with some people, but not with a lot of other people.
I can guarantee you my team doesn’t live in fear because I expect them to work hard. My team knows I respect them. It’s all about your leadership. You push them but you encourage them. A simple “thanks for your hard work today” goes a long way. Again if you don’t know how your TL or ETL is coaching you you have shitty leadership or just live in irrational fear. If you expect the bare minimum from your team, that’s why they’ll deliver. If you want awesome results you push your team.

I can guarantee you my team doesn’t live in fear because I expect them to work hard. My team knows I respect them. It’s all about your leadership. You push them but you encourage them. A simple “thanks for your hard work today” goes a long way. Again if you don’t know how your TL or ETL is coaching you you have shitty leadership or just live in irrational fear. If you expect the bare minimum from your team, that’s why they’ll deliver. If you want awesome results you push your team.

No speculation needed on what your team mutters under their breath while walking to the time clock to punch out.

A committed veteran team with high morale doesn’t need to be pushed to meet expectations, they exceed them on their own. You get a highly motivated veteran team by paying them fairly, giving them enough hours to qualify for benefits, respecting them, recognizing them for their hard work and getting out of their way so they can do their thing without constantly carping on them, slowing them down with criticism, burdening them with unrealistic expectations, and micromanaging them out the front door. Giving TMs four hours a week, making them feel like failures, attempting to motivate by fear and then expecting TMs to work like they owned the store will not work no matter how hard Spot pushes them, they will just move on to other opportunities, leaving Spot with more newbies to train as the revolving door continues...

How are you absolutely certain? Serious. How do you know that a person on your team is a damn good actor and has a smile on their face, but it falls apart as soon as they get out the door? How do you know that they aren't like me, who is so skilled at looking pleasant that people are shocked to hear I'm an introvert who doesn't like dealing with people, how I seem to enjoy a "challenge", but I'm so stressed out from not meeting said expectations all the time that I have to take melatonin to sleep at night because I'm so worried that the next day is the day that they are going to tell me it's not working out and they are cutting me loose. Someone who wonders, like me, if the reason they are getting a certain task repeatedly even though they fail the expectations most times is because leadership is simply adding to the rope they are giving me to hang myself. Someone like me, who is now starting to call out a little more than they should because the stress of months of not meeting expectations is starting to make them physically sick a lot, but most shifts I'm there cracking jokes with the guests and the co-workers because I'm a good actress.

I'm convinced you are not at my store, and I think my leadership isn't mean enough to cause long-term mental and physical havoc by giving an un-meetable goal, but you say you do that so you are mean enough to tear people apart on the inside. Goodnight, sleep well. I'm not going to.

How are you absolutely certain? Serious. How do you know that a person on your team is a damn good actor and has a smile on their face, but it falls apart as soon as they get out the door? How do you know that they aren't like me, who is so skilled at looking pleasant that people are shocked to hear I'm an introvert who doesn't like dealing with people, how I seem to enjoy a "challenge", but I'm so stressed out from not meeting said expectations all the time that I have to take melatonin to sleep at night because I'm so worried that the next day is the day that they are going to tell me it's not working out and they are cutting me loose. Someone who wonders, like me, if the reason they are getting a certain task repeatedly even though they fail the expectations most times is because leadership is simply adding to the rope they are giving me to hang myself. Someone like me, who is now starting to call out a little more than they should because the stress of months of not meeting expectations is starting to make them physically sick a lot, but most shifts I'm there cracking jokes with the guests and the co-workers because I'm a good actress.

I'm convinced you are not at my store, and I think my leadership isn't mean enough to cause long-term mental and physical havoc by giving an un-meetable goal, but you say you do that so you are mean enough to tear people apart on the inside. Goodnight, sleep well. I'm not going to.
I think you're reading too much into my response. I'm not constantly barking at my team to work harder. I'm not verbally abusing them when they don't finish everything. Theres a nice way to push your team. The biggest way I push my team is when I am giving them their tasks for the day or check in throughout the day a simple "hey when you get that done can you try and jump into XYZ". Chances are they won't get to it and if they do I know they won't finish it. Said TM then comes to me after starting XYZ but not finishing. I then tell them "Hey no worries thanks for all your hard work today.". Obviously my response are extremely simplified here but you get the idea. Like I've said earlier there is plenty of ways to push your team in a nice productive way. I am sorry you have bad experience with unhealthy leadership but I can assure you my team does not hate me.

My store doesn't bark orders either. They are nice and we are treated with respect. The expectations are clear though, the daily to do list is clear, and I'm not meeting them. And that's why I've been on edge and worried for months, worried about each next shift, because I can't figure out how to meet their expectations and I'm sure that at some point they are going to get tired of my failure and send me packing so they can replace me with someone else.

Detergent jugs are about 8 pounds a piece varies but there you go. Stocking a bunch will take time as the boxes are tougher to get into and leaks are problematic. A case a minute is unrealistic. Wake up management or do it yourself bet you can’t for very long.

There was no bulk backstock, and yes we have to zone and take care of trash but we don't have to backstock yet. We still have a backroom team to do it for a couple more weeks. Backstock was minimal.
Wow, just wow! So you had no cases for DPCIs that were six or more for backstock. Good lord that is a lot DPCIs to do in 45 minutes even though you have backroom helping you on the backstock. Zone alone in chemicals can hamper and slow one down and if there were ever anything horrible to throw in the cardboard baler to minimize time it is those heavy duty Tide/Cheer chemical boxes. Breaking them down helps to maximize space but it slows everything down.

I don't even bother breaking those big boxes down when I have to do them. I just step all over them until they're flat enough

We also have this 45min time limit per u-boat and 1 hr something for a flat for market push. I tried timing myself and it took 1 hr 10 min instead of 45min and almost 1 hr 40min for flat. Then in between there will be a huddle which span anyway between 30-45min.I would pretend to take my 15min break. Then everything gets done in my poor 4hrs shift. ( this is the best case scenario).

Anything is possible, have you seen the Marine Sniper in the movie “Mine” he stood on a mine for 4 days in the desert, while wolves were attacking him. He never took his foot off that mine, so dont tell me that pushing 100 cases in 45 minutes is not possible.
Or , what about the woman and her two children in the movie “Bird Box” where they are blind folded for days while fighting off zombies or some shit, they make it to safety. Yet 100 cases/hr is not possible?
And, do I really have to remind you about the movie “Cast Away”?
Alright, alright. It's entirely possible, but only if you were to cast Zac Efron as myself in Target: The Movie, where a trigger for the apocalypse was failing to get 100 cases pushed in less than 45 minutes. Don't forget The Rock as Inbound TL and Paul Rudd as GM Leader. Need a good supporting cast.

underrated posts

I am sorry, but that’s disgusting.
Disgusting? Well yeah, my insurance rate is pretty disgusting but speeding tickets do that to a person. Beyond that....how is driving a little (lot) excessively disgusting?

Disgusting? Well yeah, my insurance rate is pretty disgusting but speeding tickets do that to a person. Beyond that....how is driving a little (lot) excessively disgusting?
First of all , you are putting yourself in danger, but let that go.
You speeding puts other people in danger. We have speed limits for a reason. Its to keep you and others safe. It’s against the law to speed.
Just 2 weeks ago two little girls died when the car they were in was rear ended by a speeding driver. The car flipped multiple times. The mother is was also severely injured.
If you do want to speed go to a race track. Please do not put the lives of other law abiding people at risk, cause you think its fucking cool to speed.

A committed veteran team with high morale doesn’t need to be pushed to meet expectations, they exceed them on their own. You get a highly motivated veteran team by paying them fairly, giving them enough hours to qualify for benefits, respecting them, recognizing them for their hard work and getting out of their way so they can do their thing without constantly carping on them, slowing them down with criticism, burdening them with unrealistic expectations, and micromanaging them out the front door. Giving TMs four hours a week, making them feel like failures, attempting to motivate by fear and then expecting TMs to work like they owned the store will not work no matter how hard Spot pushes them, they will just move on to other opportunities, leaving Spot with more newbies to train as the revolving door continues...

Well said!

First of all , you are putting yourself in danger, but let that go.
You speeding puts other people in danger. We have speed limits for a reason. Its to keep you and others safe. It’s against the law to speed.
Just 2 weeks ago two little girls died when the car they were in was rear ended by a speeding driver. The car flipped multiple times. The mother is was also severely injured.
If you do want to speed go to a race track. Please do not put the lives of other law abiding people at risk, cause you think its fucking cool to speed.
Then why are there laws against traveling too slow, and why are those laws enforced? Could it be that slow drivers are equally dangerous as they are an impediment? I hardly think my ticket for going 35 on a 5 lane state highway where it passed through a city that lowered the speed from 55 to 25 is hardly going to get anyone killed. Speeding tickets, not reckless driving tickets, and I go with the flow of traffic, not faster than the bulk of the traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back