Archived Reasonable or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting this week we are supposed to get our carts done in the time given by corporate. OK, no problem with that. Today however our POS ETL decided to arbitrarily put times based on what he thought they should be done in.. SO today I was given only 45 min to do over 100 cases in chemicals. WTF that's over 2 cases per min. When I brought that to his attention he stated " you cant do a box with only 4 items in less than a min?" My response was "not when you let other people screw it up". Took me an hour and 25 min to get done. Also why then does toys get so much more time to get done with about same number of cases when 75% have 6 or less in them. Why aren't we given reasonable times? Not saying I need a min a box but lets be realistic on the time needed.

Timers have began...

Starting this week we are supposed to get our carts done in the time given by corporate. OK, no problem with that. Today however our POS ETL decided to arbitrarily put times based on what he thought they should be done in.. SO today I was given only 45 min to do over 100 cases in chemicals. WTF that's over 2 cases per min. When I brought that to his attention he stated " you cant do a box with only 4 items in less than a min?" My response was "not when you let other people screw it up". Took me an hour and 25 min to get done. Also why then does toys get so much more time to get done with about same number of cases when 75% have 6 or less in them. Why aren't we given reasonable times? Not saying I need a min a box but lets be realistic on the time needed.
To be fair chem is probably the easiest and fastest area to push and that it’s definitely doable

Anything is possible, have you seen the Marine Sniper in the movie “Mine” he stood on a mine for 4 days in the desert, while wolves were attacking him. He never took his foot off that mine, so dont tell me that pushing 100 cases in 45 minutes is not possible.
Or , what about the woman and her two children in the movie “Bird Box” where they are blind folded for days while fighting off zombies or some shit, they make it to safety. Yet 100 cases/hr is not possible?
And, do I really have to remind you about the movie “Cast Away”?

Last edited:
Alright, alright. It's entirely possible, but only if you were to cast Zac Efron as myself in Target: The Movie, where a trigger for the apocalypse was failing to get 100 cases pushed in less than 45 minutes.
Sky is the limit , my friend.

It's really not. 45 mins for 100 cases is not doable, even just straight stocking.

You can't have 100 cases on a U-boat, or even flat. So there are multiple vehicles involved, which means dealing with backstock and cardboard, as well as maneuvering those vehicles from chem to the backroom to the baler and back to the unload area to grab a new vehicle.

You're also supposed to engage guests and zone while you stock. It's literally impossible.
I mean I’m not saying everyone could do that every time I’m just saying it physically possible to do it and that if you could push 100 cases of anything I. 45 minutes chem would probably be the easiest. I agree it’s an extremely aggressive ask BUT you always want to ask and push for more than what you think someone can actually do. Always want to challenge the team

It's a fine line between challenging your team and completely crushing their motivation and morale by making it seem like you're going to performance them out by pinning the issues of Modernization on them not being able to compete a task in a laughable timeframe.
No I agree with you and the fine line is the documentation and coaching. I always ask more of my team than I think they can get done and 9 times out of 10 it does exactly what it should and motivates them. The fine line is that I’ll never hold them accountable for not meeting my extreme expectations.

Anything is possible, have you seen the Marine Sniper in the movie “Mine” he stood on a mine for 4 days in the desert, while wolves were attacking him. He never took his foot off that mine, so dont tell me that pushing 100 cases in 45 minutes is not possible.
Or , what about the woman and her two children in the movie “Bird Box” where they are blind folded for days while fighting off zombies or some shit, they make it to safety. Yet 100 cases/hr is not possible?
Hollywood Magic

I suppose "Mine" was based on a true story. If not, why compare a movie to real life?

You saying anything is possible is a hoot. Why not 10,000 boxes in 5 minutes? Hey! Anything is possible.

Until I see a legitimate time study OVER time, coming up with "what I think can be done.." is stupid. It will lead to a mass exodus, injury, or both.

Can you imagine what would happen when you cross this rate with a guest? Can you say epic lawsuit? I wonder if Spot thought about that problem.

Way too many variables for anyone to state a time without a legitimate time study with standard deviations based on product mix, zone, and time of day (store open or closed). Anything that is not linear to the process at hand is a time killer. Then you have "Turn Around Time" or "TAT" how much time is allowed between cartons?

I've had days where I was able to just crush it and others where I couldn't get a damn thing done.

100 cases in 45 min.? Ripping a carton open and placing the contents on the shelf in 27 seconds a hundred (100) times in a row, no. What do you do with your trash? Who's feeding you Uboats?

I would love to see someone rip through a 100 cases of laundry products in 45 minutes and then rip through another 100 cases of other chemical product in 45 minutes and so forth until your shift is complete. Of course rinse and repeat every truck.

Ain't happening, and never going to happen in our environment. This is JOB, not a Guinness Book of World Records tryout.

Until I see a legitimate time study OVER time, coming up with "what I think can be done.." is stupid. It will lead to a mass exodus, injury, or both.

Can you imagine what would happen when you cross this rate with a guest? Can you say epic lawsuit? I wonder if Spot thought about that problem.

Way too many variables for anyone to state a time without a legitimate time study with standard deviations based on product mix, zone, and time of day (store open or closed). Anything that is not linear to the process at hand is a time killer. Then you have "Turn Around Time" or "TAT" how much time is allowed between cartons?

I've had days where I was able to just crush it and others where I couldn't get a damn thing done.

100 cases in 45 min.? Ripping a carton open and placing the contents on the shelf in 27 seconds a hundred (100) times in a row, no. What do you do with your trash? Who's feeding you Uboats?

I would love to see someone rip through a 100 cases of laundry products in 45 minutes and then rip through another 100 cases of other chemical product in 45 minutes and so forth until your shift is complete. Of course rinse and repeat every truck.

Ain't happening, and never going to happen in our environment. This is JOB, not a Guinness Book of World Records tryout.

Now don't worry. Some Kool Aid transfusion patient will get on here and say something like ..... "at my store, everyone can do 476 boxes a second while juggling fire and breastfeeding a dry boobed guest's baby." And go on and on about how their store is perfectly running with modernization. And I'll smile to myself and think .... of course it is. Of course it is. Meanwhile, the fire tunnel in my store has been blocked partially, if not totally, by product since October.

Meanwhile, the fire tunnel in my store has been blocked partially, if not totally, by product since October.

Yours too? Ours is more blocked by vehicles, but they'll have product on them. There'll be people putting together displays or whatever back there too like it's a free workshop :p

Meanwhile, the fire tunnel in my store has been blocked partially, if not totally, by product since October.

Both of ours were blocked with product during Q4 until someone said something. Now everything is parked along the furniture or the PLUG walls and you can just barely drive the wave through. (I have a feeling they'll be blocked again.)

I remember a time when an ETL tried to prove time goals can be achieved easily so he worked a vehicle gave himself an hour time limit. He Busted his ass as fast as he could all the while ignoring EVERYTHING else around him and in the store. He finish just under 1 hour with sweat pouring off him and said see it only takes about an hour to work a vehicle. Than expected others to do that every vehicle, every time, everyday but also do backups, guest service, zone, reshop and scans. Still haven't seen this work lol. Expectations vs reality is a funny thing.

Getting serious here how much of the chemicals were bulk backstock after the initial push phase. What I mean is lets take an example DPCI, we will call it DPCI #51. When you pushed the initial boxes of DPCI #51 you were able to fill up the home location and any endcaps for it. As you are going through whatever is left of your 100 cases you come across more DPCI #51. If you are properly noting what you filled under no circumstances should DPCI #51 leave the pallet or flat or whatever you originally had your 100 cases on. Separate those cases in an area where you can designate backstock and then on to the next DPCi and the next one after that. Do you remember how many different DPCIs you pushed out of those 100 cases?

Does this ETL expect you to also zone, backstock, and throw away your trash along with pushing in this 45 minutes?

Last edited:
I remember a time when an ETL tried to prove time goals can be achieved easily so he worked a vehicle gave himself an hour time limit. He Busted his ass as fast as he could all the while ignoring EVERYTHING else around him and in the store. He finish just under 1 hour with sweat pouring off him and said see it only takes about an hour to work a vehicle. Than expected others to do that every vehicle, every time, everyday but also do backups, guest service, zone, reshop and scans. Still haven't seen this work lol. Expectations vs reality is a funny thing.

Not exactly the same thing, but I love when my ETL has to pick batches in SFS because we're behind and act like it was no problem to do it quickly. Then I look at all the stuff he's INFed and I laugh incredibly hard 😁 until I get bitched at by him for INFing my stuff and I struggle to not call out the hypocrisy!

No I agree with you and the fine line is the documentation and coaching. I always ask more of my team than I think they can get done and 9 times out of 10 it does exactly what it should and motivates them. The fine line is that I’ll never hold them accountable for not meeting my extreme expectations.
And they know that how??? Or do they not know that and just give up, since going over means getting in trouble eventually, that you are just waiting for a certain amount of getting in trouble, so it doesn't matter if you are 10 minutes over or 25 minutes over.

I know the nights when I have absolutely no way of getting all but a few things done I give up. I can't change what I'm doing, but some part of me outside of me viewing me knows that I've slowed down because trouble is trouble and I just can't get my mojo back for the night.

And they know that how??? Or do they not know that and just give up, since going over means getting in trouble eventually, that you are just waiting for a certain amount of getting in trouble, so it doesn't matter if you are 10 minutes over or 25 minutes over.

I know the nights when I have absolutely no way of getting all but a few things done I give up. I can't change what I'm doing, but some part of me outside of me viewing me knows that I've slowed down because trouble is trouble and I just can't get my mojo back for the night.
You'd be a pretty shitty leader if your team didn't know if you're coaching them or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back