Archived Reasoning behind some pay difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguyattarget

SFS/OPU Master
I can understand the reasoning of the pay grades.... but, I don't understand the wage difference behind sales floor and electronics. I mean, you shouldn't have that job if you don't know crap about electronic. The job wasn't open when I applied, so the point is moot. I'm a tech guru and I can easily school anyone in this field. I've been eating and breathing technology since I was born. I just don't understand the wage difference. I mean (I'm HL) and I feel like HL does a lot more work, but electronics just stands most of the time and holds a key to stuff. I would love to be electronics but I don't want my hours to be cut. I'm only in my fourth day (post-orientation) and I see most of the electronics TM standing there while I bust my ass zoning and pushing pulls and helping guests and they earn 50-75 cents more than me. I don't know what my store's availability is for electronics is but so far, for my first time on the schedule on 24/7 available, I have 34 hours. I'm happy about that.

If I ever want cross-training, who would I talk to? My TL (HL), ETL (HL), or ETL (HR)? I would be elated if I ever got a shift in Electronics because I would bust a move. But, does that mean I get a pay increase or differential for that shift?

Your etl. I know the store first & be stellar.

Okay.. Great, I first have to MEET her. LOL.

It's funny how I know the ETL-GE and ETL-HR well but not my own ETL(HL)--I've never met her.

Also... should I pass the 90-day probation first?

If you feel that strongly about your electronic skills I would let it be known over and over and over until they put you there. If they are not constantly staying busy that is on management and not an indication of how much less work they should be doing over you. They are there to mainly service the customer especially now that most of electronics is easily zoned. In theory they are paid to perform and sell high dollar items. Besides video game systems and games most items in electronics are high margin so they should be great at selling attachments etc. Pay all comes down to importance to the company.

While they may often be idle during peak hours to heighten visibility, they do have a greater push to meet metrics for Redcards, attachments, and service plans. It's almost a hybrid between hl and cashier with the requirements of both. The pay is to compensate for that.

Those guys are essentially brand TMs too because it's a specialty presentation area. They also have things like weekly MIRs and new releases. Plus they're responsible for scanning outs in entertainment. So they're like a brand TM/trained sales associate/instocks TM/cashier. They're paid to specialize in the department, which includes much more than just product knowledge. However, the most knowledgable TMs are often the top salespeople. We use a microstrategy online to keep close watch of sales in electronics, and TMs can be moved to new workcenters if they're not performing. Also, at most stores, elec. TMs are struggling to maintain the departments nearby as well.

If you feel that you are a good candidate for this area don't hesitate to let your leaders know. With Q4 coming, they'll be recieving a lot more payroll in electronics soon, and they'll need help.

So they're like a brand TM/trained sales associate/instocks TM/cashier.
I forgot to mention all the product security in electronics. Electronics TMs need to know all the different AP price points and directives for the area too. So I guess they're kind of like AP/brand TMs/sales associates/instocks/cashiers.

We could definitely use you at my store. We've lost 2 electronics TMs in the past couple months because they hired new TMs who are idiots! Since the newbs were making significantly less, they were getting more hours than the seasoned TMs. The seasoned TMs asked for more hours & when they didn't get them, they moved on to bigger and better things. One of the newbs is constantly calling for backup because he doesn't know jack squat about the merchandise. I heard the Target Mobile guy talking to the STL the other day about him, asking why he was an electronics TM. He had to ask the Target Mobile guy for help with an iPad & he's been there 6 months!

I can understand the reasoning of the pay grades.... but, I don't understand the wage difference behind sales floor and electronics. I mean, you shouldn't have that job if you don't know crap about electronic. The job wasn't open when I applied, so the point is moot. I'm a tech guru and I can easily school anyone in this field. I've been eating and breathing technology since I was born. I just don't understand the wage difference. I mean (I'm HL) and I feel like HL does a lot more work, but electronics just stands most of the time and holds a key to stuff. I would love to be electronics but I don't want my hours to be cut. I'm only in my fourth day (post-orientation) and I see most of the electronics TM standing there while I bust my ass zoning and pushing pulls and helping guests and they earn 50-75 cents more than me. I don't know what my store's availability is for electronics is but so far, for my first time on the schedule on 24/7 available, I have 34 hours. I'm happy about that.

If I ever want cross-training, who would I talk to? My TL (HL), ETL (HL), or ETL (HR)? I would be elated if I ever got a shift in Electronics because I would bust a move. But, does that mean I get a pay increase or differential for that shift?
This is typical at most stores. Electronic TMs cannot leave the counter or be too far in case the call button goes off.

Back in my day, you really didn't have to be a tech guru to work electronics. For one thing (or at least at my store), none of the Eletronic TMs would get any updates or info on any products. I didn't know any street date info or tech specs unless I researched it myself from home.

You just needed to know the difference between USB, HDMI, and RCA. Take a test. Then you are dubbed a Electronics TM.

Then you are told to work Electronic shifts which means you have to cover Electronics/MMB as well as Home Office/Toys. And you can not walk to any other dept that would not allow you to reach the Electronics button in time.

Come Black Thanksgiving, it will be hell to work Electronics for the next 3 months. The mad rush for Electronic DoorBuster sales. Then You have to help 5 set of guests, take 2 Electronic calls, get 4 things out of the case, and pull 3 items from Electronics lockup.

Just inform your TL that you want to cross-train Electronics.

The pay difference depends on if majority of your hours come from Electronic shifts or you are the Electronics Brand TM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back