Archived Red Card Motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a GSTL at a store that finished 1st in the group last year for Red Card Conversion. Now, we are lucky to hit 2.5% for the week. Does anyone have any games or tips to help drive conversion? I feel like my team is bored and that the monotony is dropping our culture. Thanks in advance!

Make it fun! We'll have games where if we reach a certain goal within a certain time limit, our LOD will take a pie to the face. One of our more macho LOD's likes to do pushups for each Red Card, and our DTL even joined him during a visit once, and everyone got a huge kick out of that. One of our superstar cashiers got an insane amount during one of their shifts and got the closing LOD to dress up in a banana suit. Our GSTL's implement different games, like right now they have some sort of "go-fish" type game going on, but I forget how it works. If we're in a dry spell during the day we'll offer Starbucks or something from Food Ave to the person who ends the drought. A few weeks ago they were doing a thing where the person who got the most Red Cards could dress up the GSTL in something silly, within reason of course. Encourage people out on the sales floor to be vibing with guests about the benefits of it as well. With patio furniture going clearance, that extra 5% off the price should get them interested, and the sales floor team can be talking to the guest about it as they walk with them up to the front for the carry out. And with back-to-school coming up, be sure to mention the Take Charge of Education program. Hope this helps!

Hey, this thread again!

You gotta remember that everyone hears those announcements on the radios. Some customers actually hear it and comment on the redcards. We get it. We're here to hock the redcards, clean up the store, stock shelves, then help customers. Your team "culture" is bored because of the constant battering over the radios, in the huddles, and they are probably wondering when there's going to be more than a stuffed dog or a coffee for the trouble of halting a transaction for 5 minutes.

When did Target's culture become redcards and not customer service?

Last edited:
Hell, idk if anything could motivate me anymore. Except maybe a Ferrari. Spot have any of those laying around?

I've got a REAL motivator:
Who ever gets the most redcards in a week gets MORE HOURS!
Think about it: if someone has MORE hours, they could get MORE redcards.
Those who don't will see their hours get cut.....further & further until they start getting them.

^^^this. We, as employees, could give two shits about the pressures the supervisors or managers get over redcards. Nor are we paid to care. Make it worth our time. We don't care about budgets and bonuses. We want hours, not pats on the head.

Many of us are adults, treat us as such.

Those who don't will see their hours get cut.....further & further until they start getting them.

That's what my store does. With so much REDcard conversion based on luck, I think it's a crappy practice.

That's what my store does. With so much REDcard conversion based on luck, I think it's a crappy practice.

It's also not allowed. You can't schedule based on performance. I know it can be a deciding factor on whether someone should open/close on the weekends or whatever, but it still needs to be fairly equal across the board (also taking into consideration personal preferences the maximum number of hours someone wants/number of hours they prefer to work, their availability, etc).

If this is seriously what's happening (and people are starting to notice) HR may need to be informed (and it's even more shady if they are the ones writing the schedule like that!).

Inspire your TMs. Instead of having certain people for service desk, start cross training your cashiers, and reward them with extra hours doing service desk maybe once a week.. If you can give them the opportunities to succeed, they will push Redcards for you quite loyally.

Just started back at Target after a 3-year hiatus. I thought it was bad when I left, but I can't believe how much more intense the conversion battle has become. We used to only require cashiers to push Redcards when prompted by POS, but my new store expects us to ask on every transaction and average one card per shift (hopefully this is a store-by-store decision and not best practice company wide). Sorry Spot, but do I really need to ask the little old lady who's only buying an $0.89 green pepper if she'd like to save 5% on her purchase today?

I'm going to be idealistic now...
If conversion isn't where corporate wants it to be, I think there comes a point where the higher-ups should revisit the incentives for guests, rather than relying on stores to dangle carrots (aka free bullseye-shop merchandise) in front of cashiers. Don't get me wrong...I think Target went in the right direction a few years ago when they switched from a one-day savings of 10% after spending $1000 (really?) to 5% every time you shop. And I know they've recently added an extra 30 days to the return policy for Redcard holders. But compare that to a store like Kohl's, where I save 20% every time I shop and almost always get extra discounts at the register (extra % off scratch-offs, Kohl's cash, etc.) and, in the mind of guests, it seems lousy.

Let's have some fun here...if it were up to you, what kind of incentives would you let Target offer to drive guests to sign up for and use their Redcard?

I really wish we had a sarcasm font....

Re: incentives - 15% when you first open your acct, 10% every time you shop (considering the product line this is reasonable compared to a higher end store like Kohl's) with "special days" in which red card users get a little more off.

Regarding the little old lady with the $0.89 green pepper: It's important to offer each guest the REDCard because that pepper turns into more frequent shopping trips and larger carts with a REDCard.

I like the idea of a special day for REDCard holders. Not only would it be an incentive for sign up, but when the special day arrives, it would encourage non-card holders on that special day to sign up for future special days.

Regarding the little old lady with the $0.89 green pepper: It's important to offer each guest the REDCard because that pepper turns into more frequent shopping trips and larger carts with a REDCard.

I like the idea of a special day for REDCard holders. Not only would it be an incentive for sign up, but when the special day arrives, it would encourage non-card holders on that special day to sign up for future special days.

Yeah I think it'd be a better idea for corporate to shoulder some responsibility and market the Redcard a bit better. But of course it's cheaper for them to just raise the goal and yell at the stores to make it or else.

Yeah I think it'd be a better idea for corporate to shoulder some responsibility and market the Redcard a bit better. But of course it's cheaper for them to just raise the goal and yell at the stores to make it or else.

Great idea. Then you could complain that they're spending money on marketing instead of TMs. Corporate can never do right by you, can they?

Great idea. Then you could complain that they're spending money on marketing instead of TMs. Corporate can never do right by you, can they?

Nope. They're making a small fortune off the numbers they have now, and Redcard promo days would be a drop in the bucket compared to actually paying their Tms well. Target and Walmart are both greedy mega corporations that do no good.

Your reply is faulty on so many levels. You have no concept of the bigger picture. Who is "they?"

Sorry I don't entertain rhetorical questions. Unless you were serious, but I don't entertain corporate kiss-asses either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I don't entertain rhetorical questions. Unless you were serious, but I don't entertain corporate kiss-asses either.

It was not a rhetorical question. I'm curious to know who you think "they" is, as you often blame "them" for the wrongs you feel. Understanding the big picture is not 'kiss-assed-ness."

The bigger picture is that Target makes a ton of money off of handling fees on debit and interest rates on the credit cards. Bonuses go to store managers who have high conversions, and that's about it for motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back