Archived References, Resumes, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie here (Hello!), and I've been a team member for well over 5 years now, in a number of roles and I've seen the best and the worst of them come through.

However, I'm severely burned out and growing more disgusted with the way things are going with the Bullseye and am looking forward to new challenges. So, I'm updating my resume. Right now, I'm stuck on the part where I compile my references.

I've been told that Spot's policy for giving work and personal references is "No Way, No Way", and that officially, all I can expect is the 800# to only confirm my employment with the company.

Given that I don't particularly trust my store's ETL team, I wouldn't be bothered by not listing them at all. However, I do want to be able to list someone who can positively say I'm a hard worker, fun, friendly and all that jazz. Ideally, I'd love to use someone I've gotten along well with as references for work ethics, habits, etc. Because these are the people who have worked with me the most.

So, I'm in a bit of a quandary.

Does anyone have some advice, practical experience or knowledge to share?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome! You could ask for a personal reference, if that person is your friend. Otherwise, let your resume & great interview skills help you get that new job.

I would not send in any reference pages unless asked. But have a page printed up just in case.

When I was asked for references for my background check for my current job, I informed the agent that Target had a policy on formal references that all inquiries had to go through the TM Verification number. But I still gave them contact info for my favorite ETLs and TLs that were no longer currently over me. People at other stores or no longer with the company. I definitely did not trust anyone at my last store on giving a reference.

a personal reference is just that - personal, a friend, someone who knows you. The ETLs cannot give that info unless they will write you a reference letter without their title on it. That would be an ETL that is more of a friend. They couldn't do it on Target letterhead.

Thanks everyone. Your replies kind of firmed up what I was thinking- asking for professional references at my store is pretty much a lost-cause.

I had a TL who became a friend before he went to another store, I was thinking about asking him if he'd be wiling to be a personal reference. Because I wouldn't trust anyone at my store, sadly.

Thanks everyone. Your replies kind of firmed up what I was thinking- asking for professional references at my store is pretty much a lost-cause.

I had a TL who became a friend before he went to another store, I was thinking about asking him if he'd be wiling to be a personal reference. Because I wouldn't trust anyone at my store, sadly.

That's a great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back