Archived Refusal to Interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signingminion

WAVing in the air like I just don't care
I feel like I've addled this before but I searched and it didn't come up.

If they open applications for a team lead spot and you apply are they required to interview you or give you a reason why not (even if its a shitty one like "we went with someone else"). Watching the process for an open spot I'm perfect for, they announced several times its open. Put in my app an hour after the last mention (while the rest of the team leads were still at smart huddle/ getting Starbucks) and instead of getting added to the "interviews happening today" it looks like they are going to ignore me again... do I have any recourse? I know they want someone else for it, but no way will the team be happy when my answer to "why didn't you apply minion? " is "I did but they didn't even interview me".

They aren't required to interview you, but it's pretty shitty that they didn't. I mean, at my company internals who are even remotely qualified usually get at least a courtesy interview. If nothing else it gives mgmt a way to talk to you about your future development plans and how to start getting there. I interviewed for a manager job at my day job that I didn't get (fair, I agree with the person they did promote) but it gave an opportunity to note to my manager that I was interested in more formal responsibility and I'll be getting a sort-of-but-not-officially-direct report this year. If we can ever find someone with anything resembling the qualifications that we need. Sigh.

Make your desire to interview well known to all leaders in your building. Your current TL and ETL, the new positions ETL and your STL. Be aggressive and assertive, while remaining professional and respectful. Becoming a leader requires overcoming challenges so make it happen and if someone else is picked over you, ask for a conversation on how you can improve to be considered for the next round of interviews.

I had an interview for TL long ago.
It wasn't until after my STL told me he wouldn't recommend me that I discovered that other candidates had mentors & mock interviews; my interview was simply going thru the motions.

Make your desire to interview well known to all leaders in your building. Your current TL and ETL, the new positions ETL and your STL. Be aggressive and assertive, while remaining professional and respectful. Becoming a leader requires overcoming challenges so make it happen and if someone else is picked over you, ask for a conversation on how you can improve to be considered for the next round of interviews.
That's my biggest annoyance. We've had that conversation, especially before abd after my corrective action resulting from my stl throwing a tantrum. After it was over we discussed no opportunities would be coming up in the near future but what I could work on in the meanwhile and whether it was something they thought was reasonable. Having interviewed years ago for aptl and nailing it according to the stl (current and incoming both did it) and etl but not getting it only because they had an outside candidate already picked its frustrating to then be refused interviews seemingly just because. I've been through several etl-hr since and a couple stl, but all of them avoid the topic or promise it will happen then just avoid me.

Current etl-log literally just started avoiding me or asking how is going while running by right as we announced the position was open. Prior he'd actually listen, pitch in to help for a bit, just stop to chat...

That's my biggest annoyance. We've had that conversation, especially before abd after my corrective action resulting from my stl throwing a tantrum. After it was over we discussed no opportunities would be coming up in the near future but what I could work on in the meanwhile and whether it was something they thought was reasonable. Having interviewed years ago for aptl and nailing it according to the stl (current and incoming both did it) and etl but not getting it only because they had an outside candidate already picked its frustrating to then be refused interviews seemingly just because. I've been through several etl-hr since and a couple stl, but all of them avoid the topic or promise it will happen then just avoid me.

Current etl-log literally just started avoiding me or asking how is going while running by right as we announced the position was open. Prior he'd actually listen, pitch in to help for a bit, just stop to chat...
There is always more to the story than it seems. What was the corrective for? Did it specifically say that it was because “ the stl was throwing a tantrum”? Cause thats unfair.

Been there. Tried several times. Then finally gave up on Target.
  1. Depending on the state/store, the only requirement management has is to post the position.
  2. If you are on an active corrective action, your mgmt. will not consider you until its expired. Just policy.
  3. Pretty much store mgmt. (like my old store) has already lined up their pick when the position is about to post, so they informally interview the person and present the position to them. And fore-go the rest of the application pool.
I was part of a group of TMs who constantly applied for several positions but never was once interviewed. They gave positions to external hires, transfers, or friends/favorites than qualified veteran TMs.

My fault was that my mgmt. knew I had future goals outside of Target, thus they never interviewed me knowing I would leave them.

1. The best thing you can do is talk to your TL and ETL and discuss your goals and plans on moving up. Basically let them know you are serious.
  2. Inquire if there is any areas you can improve on.

Has your corrective action expired?
quite some time ago. My etl actually say down with the stl at the time and we discussed how I spent the time and whether or not I met the standards they set when it was given to me.
There is always more to the story than it seems. What was the corrective for? Did it specifically say that it was because “ the stl was throwing a tantrum”? Cause thats unfair.
It didn't state that, but he flat out told me he'd usually just have a seek to understand convo but was hurt by what I said, truthful or not, so I was getting a harsher punishment because he took it personally.

Good news, for me, is that my etl tracked me down to schedule an interview Monday...after interviewing another internal applicant that wasn't ready for it, so he wanted to give me time to prepare. Not sure if that's good he's giving me time or bad he things I need it, but since I'd worked a 10 he shift at that point it wasn't feasible today. Now I've got to Google sample questions and nail this so maybe they feel warm and fuzzy enough to bench me if they go with someone else.

You will succeed, sign!
they've already got someone that they want for it, so it will be a heck of a battle. Best case scenario most likely I get benched for the spot opening this spring or possibly a shuffle opened spot at that time (everybody has been in the same place a couple years now).

My fault was that my mgmt. knew I had future goals outside of Target, thus they never interviewed me knowing I would leave them.

My experience there has been the exact opposite. I told them I would have my degree in 2 years and they could expect me gone when I had it (software development pays a little more >.>). Buuut, I told them that for the duration of my time, I would strive to do the best I possibly can and would give a much longer notice than 2 weeks to help train a replacement.

They were pretty cool with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back