Rejection

So I’ve done TL interviews twice now and just failed the second one. Each time the feedback is that I was so close to getting it but my answers are too tasky. I personally didn’t feel that way. Does anyone in here know exactly what ETLs and SDs look for when they do interviews because I’m sad and confused rn?

So I’ve done TL interviews twice now and just failed the second one. Each time the feedback is that I was so close to getting it but my answers are too tasky. I personally didn’t feel that way. Does anyone in here know exactly what ETLs and SDs look for when they do interviews because I’m sad and confused rn?
They want to hear how you are going to get your team to complete the workload, how you will set timelines for them,and how you plan to hold them accountable to doing so. They do not care what you can do by yourself. And also how you're relating EVERYTHING back to the G.U.E.S.T.

I'm happy to give you some specific feedback about your answers if you want!

That “you were so close to getting it” line sounds carrot dangling, especially since they’ve used it twice. Depending on how set you are on staying at Spot, you might try interviewing for the equivalent of a TL position at another retailer. At best you will get the job, and at worst you will at least have more experience at undergoing leadership interviews, just don’t mention that you are interviewing elsewhere to anyone at Target. Either way, good luck to you.

just don’t mention that you are interviewing elsewhere to anyone at Target. Either way, good luck to you.
Results vary, but if you're interviewing for the equivalent of a promotion, it can even be good to let your leaders know. Only a sociopath (and yeah Target has its fair share) would hold that against a TM. It also forces the issue and all of a sudden another Target store might want to interview you. On the other hand, an interview for a lateral move is something I wouldn't dare tell people about.

I suggest you take your skills somewhere else.

Companies (not just Target) will never tell you why they didn't want to hire you.

Look at other places that might hiring for a job you want and brush on your interviewing skills in the meantime.

At least Target didn't waste your time by "putting you on the bench" which is such bullshit and they just use so you won't quit.

Back