Reloadable Red Card

I applied for the RedCard Reloadable a couple of weeks ago, set up the app, and made my first cash load using the app a week ago. My card didn't arrive until Monday, I have not yet used the card for a purchase but will tomorrow since I also have the $40 on a $40 purchase promo coupon for my new RC acct. I'll give an update as soon as I have more info as a new user.

The reloadable redcard can do this as well, kind of defeats the need for the other option unless it earns interest like a traditional banking account.
Target offers TMs who don't have a bank account a payroll card. They've changed companies so I don't know which bank. The Reloadable Redcard could replace the payroll card, since (unlike a debit Redcard) the Reloadable RC also is a VISA debit card. When you apply, the disclosures state this is a "demand deposit account" (fancy name for checking account) with a banking firm called "Pathward, N.A., Member FDIC". You not only have the ability to make debit purchases at Target and other stores taking VISA, you can get cash at ATMs ($2.50 fee but it's free at ATMs inside Target stores), make bill payments, and make various transfers. Nice thing is there's no monthly service fee, unlike a lot of similar Reloadable debit cards you see advertised on TV.

I never understood why people don't have a bank account. Like sis, banks will literally pay you to open one.

Some people suck at maintaining their finances. They might have overdrawn there account so badly at a bank that they aren't allowed to open one.

What kinda scam bank does overdrafts? Are people finding these banks on the 2nd page of Google?
A few years ago my bank was sued, fined, or what have you for wacking customers with crazy overdraft fees. They would deduct all withdrawals first, then add the deposits. Now they have to do the opposite and record all deposits first.

they would also do the withdrawals from largest to smallest, so if you had several small ones, they would nail you for a fee on each one and then they would put them all through again several days later. Bank of America did this. I got several class action lawsuit checks because of their antics.

they would also do the withdrawals from largest to smallest, so if you had several small ones, they would nail you for a fee on each one and then they would put them all through again several days later. Bank of America did this. I got several class action lawsuit checks because of their antics.
Yes! So shady! My bank is more local to New England but they pulled the same crap. I don't recall getting any checks but they definitely got in trouble for their practices and had to stop.

Looking closely at my first account statement, it's officially called "RedCard Reloadable Account". The reason I was actually interested in RCR was that I thought that, unlike the Target Credit Union card, it would be usable to obtain RC + TM benefits at target.com. However, the advisory notice came out that "at this time" the RCR isn't accepted at target.com, other than as a regular VISA debit card (no 5% RC discount nor eligible payment for TM discounts).

Given it's been years since they said that "at this time" the Target CU cards can't be used for TM payment online, I expect it will be a long time b4 corporate gets around to coding these cards to save in the Target Wallet (or Target.com) for TM discount eligibility.

You can set up paycheck direct deposit. I may divert a small portion of my DD to the RCRA. Most of my direct deposit goes to a "big bank" which services my home mortgage, but some goes to Target Credit Union and I might switch that DD over to the RCRA.

When I applied, Target offered a $40 merchandise coupon as a bonus. My card arrived in the mail along with the bonus coupon. I did have to contact RCRA Customer Care to activate my card, it didn't seem to work correctly trying to activate on the app. I since have used the RCRA a few times, and joyfully spent the $40 merchandise coupon on Christmas gifts!

Finally, in case any of you are into the gritty details, I looked up the account issuer, "Pathward, N.A., Member FDIC". Pathward is based in Sioux Falls. Until August 2022 were known as "Metabank, N.A.". They sold the "Meta" name to Facebook for a large amount of money, reportedly $600 million, hence the name change. Pathward is a real bank, though without physical branches. Pathward (or "Metabank") issues most of Target's prepaid debit "gift" Mastercard and VISA cards. RCRA Customer Care is based out of Fortson, Georgia, not out of Minneapolis.

Back