Archived Removal of Hand Sanatizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was told our store is removing all hand sanitizers we have always had at the registers. This seems to be against OSHA regulations as we are in constant contact with raw chicken, beef and of course produce. We also may serve hundreds of guests a day, many with kids who are coughing and sneezing. Has anyone else experienced this as of 5/26/2019? I plan to contact OHSA and the FDA.

my ETL didn't want hand sanitzer at the lanes because he thought it was "clutter", but i talked him down after reminding him that we sell food and deal with sick guests all day long

From the OSHA website:

"Concerns have been raised that OSHA's Bloodborne Pathogen Standard does not allow the use of alcohol-based hand products and that only soap and water may be used for handwashing.
This is not true -- the CDC guidelines are consistent with OSHA's Bloodborne Pathogen Standard.2-3 Both the CDC Guidelines and OSHA's Standard call for 1) the provision of accessible handwashing facilities; 2) alternatives to handwashing (eg, hand antiseptic cleaner) when handwashing facilities are not feasible (or convenient); 3) handwashing after removal of gloves or other personal protective equipment; 4) handwashing following contact with blood or other potentially infectious material (OPIM), and when either visibly dirty (per CDC) or grossly contaminated (per OSHA CPL).
The only true differences are related to the goals of each agency. CDC's goal is to reduce all infection risks in patients and stresses the need for handwashing with soap and water after any visible soiling of the hands, regardless of the type of body substance, eg, stool, urine or blood. OSHA's goal is to protect HCWs from bloodborne pathogen infections and requires handwashing with soap and water after gross contamination or exposure to blood or OPIM that have potential for transmission of bloodborne pathogens."

I suspect this is a case of the ETL making shit up to get needed results.

Maybe it's to avoid having to requisition out enough for each lane? At my store, we only have one lager bottle at GS with none at the lanes, most of us have a travel size we refill from the big one as needed. We also have tubs of the generic Clorox wipes at most of the registers.

If I don’t sanitize after every time I touch cash I end up getting sick lol but people always steal our hand sanitizers from the lanes so I have to bring my own :(

They tried to take all the hand sanitizer away from GS. Can you imagine working a GS shift without hand sanitizer? We got it back after we literally just kept stealing from HR’s bottle lol

Target! >>>
3lcd.jpg

Maybe it's to avoid having to requisition out enough for each lane? At my store, we only have one lager bottle at GS with none at the lanes, most of us have a travel size we refill from the big one as needed. We also have tubs of the generic Clorox wipes at most of the registers.

you can just order them from office depot for pretty cheap

Does include the sanitizer wipes near the shopping carts? We still have them. I wont let my granddaughter in one our, (ewwww) carts until Ive wiped it down....

Hand sanitizer doesn’t qualify as a food safety precautionary measure so there’s no reason target has to supply it. I agree they should be at all registers just for general cleanliness and hygiene but target doesn’t have to supply it.

The
Hand sanitizer doesn’t qualify as a food safety precautionary measure so there’s no reason target has to supply it. I agree they should be at all registers just for general cleanliness and hygiene but target doesn’t have to supply it.
Funny thing is, a few years ago when the flu season was projected to be horrendous, we received cases of large Up and Up sanitizer bottles for the team’s use. They were identical to the bottles that we sold, except they came without barcodes. Then a couple of years later, HR said OSHA wouldn’t allow it and they took all the hand sanitizers away...🤧🤒🤢🤮

The

Funny thing is, a few years ago when the flu season was projected to be horrendous, we received cases of large Up and Up sanitizer bottles for the team’s use. They were identical to the bottles that we sold, except they came without barcodes. Then a couple of years later, HR said OSHA wouldn’t allow it and they took all the hand sanitizers away...🤧🤒🤢🤮
I think it stems from the MSDS because we definitely don’t have an MSDS for UP&UP hand sanitizer so that would be my guess

Sorry, but I find the cashier obsession with hand sanitizer kind of funny. Handling cash is not nearly as dirty as handling the freight off the truck. You want bacteria? Just grab a few boxes from the back. Don't worry. You won't get sick. Bacteria and viruses are not absorbed through skin unless you have an open wound. Just, you know, wash your hands before you eat.

Sorry, but I find the cashier obsession with hand sanitizer kind of funny. Handling cash is not nearly as dirty as handling the freight off the truck
You are 100% absolutely incorrect. The average bill has enteric bacteria ALL over it. No freight handling is as contaminated as cash money!!!

You are 100% absolutely incorrect. The average bill has enteric bacteria ALL over it. No freight handling is as contaminated as cash money!!!

Try opening a repack box that looks like it has been used over and over again for years. Then open the boxes inside of it that came straight from China and are covered in grime. Cash is clean by comparison.

Doesn't matter though. You aren't going to get sick unless you don't wash your hands before touching something you are going to put in your mouth.

Try opening a repack box that looks like it has been used over and over again for years. Then open the boxes inside of it that came straight from China and are covered in grime. Cash is clean by comparison.

Doesn't matter though. You aren't going to get sick unless you don't wash your hands before touching something you are going to put in your mouth.
There’s a difference between dirty and bacteria ridden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back