Archived Return/Exchange Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm a GSA and my store has adopted a front end culture of "Target returns anything and everything no matter what" in order to keep the guest happy. It had even gotten to the point where we return Ipods that the guest had cracked the screen, used make up that was the wrong shade, and an ipad because the "guest didnt like it." We just got a new ETL-GE and my store and I brought this issue up to her and she totally agrees that this is unacceptable. I was wondering if any of you guys had similar experiences at your stores or had any tips/tricks on how to effectively reduce guest complaints/anger while still enforcing the NEW and UNUSED portion of our return policy?

We used to be pretty much on the same page of enforcement of the policy until a couple of "extreme" guests went to corp & our leadership was getting overruled. These were incidents in which the reason for return was arbitrary & the items had suffered obvious abuse/misuse. As a result, our leadership began to countermand anything we brought them up for (except copyrighted media issues) if they came up at all. Lately they'd call us to another channel &, after we'd explain the situation, they'd tell us to give in.
Our defects are through the roof but at least the guest is happy.

Our store hasn't got to that yet. For us if a Wii was even plugged in we will not return it because it is technically used. Our store is still pretty strict when it comes to returns which often leads to the "i'll just go to Walmart" excuse.

Our store is pretty good at enforcing the NEW and UNUSED policy.. Once in a while a manager might give in to a guest though.

When the guest doesn't have a receipt we're pretty good at citing the "Returns without a receipt may be limited" line on our policy ;D haha

Our store pretty much returns anything... Our ETL-GE even approved a year old grill to be exchanged for a new grill this year...

The only ETL in my store that will decline a return is my ETL-AP unfortunately...

Our store is pretty good at enforcing the NEW and UNUSED policy.. Once in a while a manager might give in to a guest though.

When the guest doesn't have a receipt we're pretty good at citing the "Returns without a receipt may be limited" line on our policy ;D haha

Same at my Store

It has been my experience, the GSTMs have the best knowledge when someone is returning a definitely used item defective or not. But it is usually the store Execs, who are too afraid to receive negative comments or have a guest make a scene when a return is denied. So they tell GS to take anything.

IMO, if the item has obvious flaws or it breaks on its own within 90 days, yes we should return it. But if the guest just used it for a week and decides against it. No we shouldn't take it back.

I used to work a store in a high end retail area, and we have guests that would buy linens and towel sets like crazy when they are first set. Near the end of the 90 days, they would come back and return them in the original packaging. But you could tell they have been washed. However, the Execs would say return anyway, just defect it out.

So I'm a GSA and my store has adopted a front end culture of "Target returns anything and everything no matter what" in order to keep the guest happy. It had even gotten to the point where we return Ipods that the guest had cracked the screen, used make up that was the wrong shade, and an ipad because the "guest didnt like it." We just got a new ETL-GE and my store and I brought this issue up to her and she totally agrees that this is unacceptable. I was wondering if any of you guys had similar experiences at your stores or had any tips/tricks on how to effectively reduce guest complaints/anger while still enforcing the NEW and UNUSED portion of our return policy?
My store is pretty flexible on the new and unused thing for 90% of what we sell and I'm mostly okay with that. However, we are quite strict when it comes to anything that fits into copyright law which is not just DVDS, CDs, and video games but also anything that comes preloaded with software or removeable hard drives like laptops, game consoles, IPADs, eReaders, etc. We offer even exchange ONLY--exceptions happen but they are rare. Really we're strict with any that will go yellow when defected and we hear about it from AP when we don't handle these right. It's really up to your ETL-GE and your AP leadership to guide the other ETLs on this. One thing you can do that might help a little would be to try to explain the situation to the LOD before they get to the desk. Get them on the phone or a separate walkie channel and tell them what the guest wants, what our policy says and what is your opinion on the matter. I would especially do this if you feel like a guest is potentially lying to you or unduly trying to manipulate you. I learned to do this when I've had guests tell me one story and then tell the LOD a different one after they quickly figured out what story was most likely to get them what they want based on the response they got from me. I also rarely offer to get a manager for a guest. I wait until the guest asks me unless I've run through my entire bag of "dealing with jerks/idiots" tricks and I still can't get rid of them. I believe bad guests can "sense" whether or not they can manipulate you.

However, we are quite strict when it comes to anything that fits into copyright law which is not just DVDS, CDs, and video games but also anything that comes preloaded with software or removeable hard drives like laptops, game consoles, IPADs, eReaders, etc.

Sigh...

No. Such. Thing.

It's policy. Not law. We don't take opened CDs/DVDs back because we can't sell them (we don't sell used cds/dvds etc.), nor can we return them to the distributors (our agreements with them state that they'll only refund us for defective products).

Sigh...

No. Such. Thing.

It's policy. Not law. We don't take opened CDs/DVDs back because we can't sell them (we don't sell used cds/dvds etc.), nor can we return them to the distributors (our agreements with them state that they'll only refund us for defective products).

Right, but the copyright issue is the reason for the agreements. A manufacturer of items readily pirated isn't going to tell the retailers they supply, "Go ahead and take back anything for any reason--we don't care if our content is being stolen." They are going to insist on return policies that at least attempt to protect them. I can use the copyright issue to explain to a guest why I can only offer them an even exchange for a opened DVD but that explanation doesn't apply to a pair of Levis.

Right, but the copyright issue is the reason for the agreements. A manufacturer of items readily pirated isn't going to tell the retailers they supply, "Go ahead and take back anything for any reason--we don't care if our content is being stolen." They are going to insist on return policies that at least attempt to protect them. I can use the copyright issue to explain to a guest why I can only offer them an even exchange for a opened DVD but that explanation doesn't apply to a pair of Levis.

Actually, it falls under a federal trade agreement to protect copyrighted merchandise. Since Target (like other retailers) can't resell opened media & we get reimbursed only if it's defective, it's an incentive to protect the material. If we exploit that agreement, the trademark-holder can yank their merch from our stores & dissolve the agreement.

My store is quite flexible on returns. I have a guest who returns his vacuum every 85 days for a new one. I won't take back old shoes, but I've seen others do it. We take back electronics, new or used, within 45 days and our policy is that we must open the package (iPads, computers, Nooks, iPods, etc) even if it looks factory sealed.

The one area I've gotten strict about is clearly stolen merchandise. We've had a run of infant formula and expensive cosmetics coming through and I started refusing refunds without receipts. Sometimes I get grief from the thugs, but usually when I call hard lines, they back down and leave.

Now I'd like to find out how to stop the coupon frauds. We get purchases of $600 or so with coupons for $450, so they put $150 on credit card. Then return the items using credit card look up, get the $150 credited back on their card and get the balance of $450 in cash. Sucks because we know what's happening but our STL says we can't refuse the return because they have receipt and items are unused.

Last edited by a moderator:
My store is quite flexible on returns. I have a guest who returns his vacuum every 85 days for a new one. I won't take back old shoes, but I've seen others do it. We take back electronics, new or used, within 45 days and our policy is that we must open the package (iPads, computers, Nooks, iPods, etc) even if it looks factory sealed.

Do you mean you are opening the item being returned?

Yes. It seems sad to open that spanking new iPad and the guest usually is shocked and dismayed, but that's our policy. Keep in mind this is the same store that takes back used stuff without question. ;)

An LOD nearly okayed a return of a pair of shoes that literally had no soles. The guest insisted that they were only a week old, even though he had no receipt and paid cash for them. I gave said LOD the evil eye and he finally backed me. Silly guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
An LOD nearly okayed a return of a pair of shoes that literally had no soles. The guest insisted that they were only a week old, even though he had no receipt and paid cash for them. I gave said LOD the evil eye and he finally backed me. Silly guy.

Yeah, I've gotten the "but I've only had them for a week" story on destroyed shoes too! I think if any ETL spent a solid week at the service desk and saw for themselves how often people try to BS us they would be quicker to say no to questionable returns.

Yeah, I've gotten the "but I've only had them for a week" story on destroyed shoes too!

For that much wear in that short of time, I'd ask if they wore them during a rehearsal for "Riverdance".

We have a "guest" (crackhead) who searches through the trash for receipts for things bought in cash... then goes into the store, gives a team member the DPCIs for the items... the team member pulls all of the things for him and then he goes to guest service and "returns" them for cash. For some reason COMPLETELY beyond me the execs claim there's nothing we can do about it. Umm, seriously?!

Uh....yeh, there IS something they can do. AP can pull video of him coming into the store empty-handed & that's all they need.

We had a chick who'd come in, grab a bag from a checklane, pick out a blouse (or other clothing item) before heading to service desk. She'd 'attempt' to return the item doing a card look-up. When the item wasn't found, she'd put it back in the bag saying that she was going home 'to look for the receipt'. She never came back, of course but she'd gotten what she wanted.
She was finally busted when TMs from FA saw her come in & grab a bag from a checklane nearby. They let her go through her charade then caught her outside.

At one of my stores, there were some people that would walk around the parking lot looking for dropped receipts. Then they go to another store, find the items on the receipt inside the store, and then find stuff they really want, bring everything up trying to do an exchange transaction.

Was there a potential Sobe Water coupon scam not long ago? I was returning something at a local Target, and the lady in front of me was returning about 50 bottles of Sobe water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back