Archived Returning Clearance Items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me know if this is in the wrong place, but I have a question about returning clearance items.

I know you can, but there's been this guest returning a PLETHORA of high priced clearance items for months now, and I can't figure out what he's doing. Who does that??

It would be an easy answer if he didn't have the receipt/card it was on, the items were missing upon opening, or he used coupons, but this guy has his receipt, the card it was put on, everything in the package is undisturbed, and he doesn't use any coupons. It comes up perfect when the items are scanned, I just can't see the sense on why you would constantly return clearance items if you didn't gain something back.

Have any of you guys had some guests like this? Are they cheating the system somehow or is this guy just strange?

Please help!!

He may be effectively "holding" the mdse until it goes further. Then he repurchases it at the final price when it gets reshopped. With the new reshop policy, he wouldn't have to wait around for long.
Probably that. Or just grabbing anything he sees that he might be able to flip online for a profit and returning what he can't get rid of.

Last edited:
Probably a eBay reseller. If they can't sale it by the expiring date, they return it.

I had one store where we had expert seasonal shoppers. We saw these rich house wives returning several sets of domestics (towels, sheets...) near 90 day date. We suspected they were opening the packaging very discreetly and then repackage everything like new. By appearances you couldn't tell it was even open. They would return it and buy another set.

We also had leadership that said if they have a valid receipt return everything no matter what. Keep the guest happy.

Thanks for the responses. That definitely makes sense. It doesn't bug me that he may be reselling. What he does with his money is his at the end of the day. I just didn't like the thought that I was returning items that may be known as a return fraud method with clearance items.

I wouldn't deny it unless I was 100% on everything. It's just strange. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We had a couple of decorators who used their resellers' tax exempt status to buy carts of domestics (comforters, towels, tableware, vases, etc).
They'd use them for decorating model homes then return them for a full refund when they were done.
Problem was everything was opened tho they kept the packaging.
We refused things that showed obvious signs of wear (dirty rugs & hand towels) & they'd try to argue with the GSTL by telling them that they provide 'free' exposure' by telling clients where the house decor was purchased; GSTL responded that we get PLENTY of exposure without them.
Eventually they couldn't use their tax break any more & leadership got tired of writing off their 'displays' so they moved on.

Here's a little secret from film and video production. If a set needed to be deessed, an intern would be sent to a store to buy the items. The most import thing stressed to them: GET AND DON'T LOOSE THE RECEIPT!!! If it was possible to keep the tags on, yet hide them from the camera, they weren't removed. If they were removed you kept them with the receipt. Once the production wrapped the items were returned. It's a virtually free way to dress a set.

High school drama depts did that all the time when I was in school.
We even had a prom committee try to return hundreds of glass votives afterwards.
They were declined because all the stickers were off & some still had wax inside.

High school drama depts did that all the time when I was in school.
We even had a prom committee try to return hundreds of glass votives afterwards.
They were declined because all the stickers were off & some still had wax inside.
And, that's what separates the amateurs from the professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back