Archived Returning from LOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been on leave for a bit and put my return date for tomorrow, I went into my store tonight to check the schedule to see if I’m on for tomorrow and turns out I’m not on at all this upcoming week or the next one up to June 1st. My HR ETL wasn’t in, and the LOD I spoke to said to come in Monday to talk to someone, but before I do that, I just wanted to ask you guys how coming back from a leave works? Is it odd that I’m not on the schedule at all? Is there some sort of check in process before I can be scheduled again? Any answers would help, thanks

I was told to check in with my store 2 weeks before my end date so they could start scheduling me when I took mine. I don't think they schedule you based on your return date w/no prior communication since a lot of people probably just never come back and then they're out a bunch of shifts.

Wow. I was never told this, I just thought once the return date is set they would begin scheduling me. But okay thanks for letting me know!

Coming back from LOA can be rough. You have to have lots of communication with your HR. Typically you’d need to let HR know when you are coming back and they have to bank the hours for you. Until that LOA is ended they can’t actually put you on the schedule because in a way you aren’t in the system. The only LOA’s I’ve taken were medical so in my case the doctor had to release me back to work, had to send a copy to Target leave and disability and my HR. First LOA things went smooth. HR saved me hours (under training) and once I was actually released they were able to just key me back in the schedule. Most recent LOA my store didn’t bank me any hours so even after being released back it was another couple weeks before I was actually back on the schedule.

Yeah, you have to let them know you’re coming back so they can give you shifts another way since they can’t actually schedule you under your name until the loa is lifted. Really surprised that no one told you this.

I'm also returning from a LOA tomorrow. My LOA ended the 6th. At my store my HR called me on the 5th to confirm with me the email they recieved from Reed Group that I was ready to return to work the 6th. She also told me I would have to wait til the 2 wk out schedule was made which wasn't til Thurs. I gave them a reminder on Thurs the 9th in the morning once I knew they got in then checked the schedule later in the afternoon online since kronos never connects to server and my scheduled day back was tomorrow.

I'm also returning from a LOA tomorrow. My LOA ended the 6th. At my store my HR called me on the 5th to confirm with me the email they recieved from Reed Group that I was ready to return to work the 6th. She also told me I would have to wait til the 2 wk out schedule was made which wasn't til Thurs. I gave them a reminder on Thurs the 9th in the morning once I knew they got in then checked the schedule later in the afternoon online since kronos never connects to server and my scheduled day back was tomorrow.
Interesting. They used a placeholder to schedule me and I came back at the end of my LOA instead of waiting for the two week out so they could schedule my actual name.

Interesting. They used a placeholder to schedule me and I came back at the end of my LOA instead of waiting for the two week out so they could schedule my actual name.
This ^

If you pick up the phone and call HR and let them know when you’ll be back AHEAD of time they will be able to save you hours. If you don’t let them know that you’ll actually be back they will not just assume that you will.

I had to go on STD and was in weekly contact with my ETL keeping her in the loop as to my recovery and RTW date. When that day came around I had hours, but it still takes a day or two to drop back in the system. I filled out paper lunch corrections until the time clock finally accepted my numbers.

Let them know you’re planning on being back and want hours as soon as you can get them. Check the swap shift board and if they call please answer! With payroll being so tight right now a call in is usually a strain most stores can not afford. If you miss it please call back. It’s frustrating to call 40 people to try and cover a shift and have 22 with voicemail not set up/full, another 10 who aren’t accepting calls, at least one who’s phone is not active, leave voicemails for everyone, and only have one person answer who will almost always say sorry pass.

I took an LOA recently. Apparently these days (unlike my previous LOA) the pay and benefits folks do put you back in the system automatically, but calling to verify nothing went wrong is a really, really good idea. However even with the automatic being put back in, everyone is right that it takes 2 weeks to trickle back down to the store knowing. Talk to HR and your ETL. My ETL managed to squeeze in 18-19 hours a week for me during that 2 week waiting period.

Yeah, you have to let them know you’re coming back so they can give you shifts another way since they can’t actually schedule you under your name until the loa is lifted. Really surprised that no one told you this.

You and me both. I had no idea, I sat down with HR, explained my leave reasons and when i planned on coming back. I wrote down the date and made sure to point it out to my ETL HR. She said okay great and sent me on my way. Never said anything about calling ahead, I just assumed I would be scheduled the day I put down to return.

This is literally the job of HR to figure out. And even calling can be a crap shoot. My last LOA I left I think five messages for HR then a week later get a call back "We are about to term you cause we have heard nothing from you in weeks." That was the first phone call I got from HR in six weeks. The LOA was cause my mom had died suddenly and I had to deal with it. Funny how they found hours when I made her ears bleed. That was not the time to be snarky with me, I was not having it AT ALL. I would not be waiting an additional two weeks, that would be an unemployment claim right off the bat. A return date is that a return to work date. The LOA I am taking in the next month, no I won't be calling in advance cause there isn't even cell service where I am going. I padded my return date by a week for them to figure out. All listed in the paperwork when applied for the LOA.

This is literally the job of HR to figure out. And even calling can be a crap shoot. My last LOA I left I think five messages for HR then a week later get a call back "We are about to term you cause we have heard nothing from you in weeks." That was the first phone call I got from HR in six weeks. The LOA was cause my mom had died suddenly and I had to deal with it. Funny how they found hours when I made her ears bleed. That was not the time to be snarky with me, I was not having it AT ALL. I would not be waiting an additional two weeks, that would be an unemployment claim right off the bat. A return date is that a return to work date. The LOA I am taking in the next month, no I won't be calling in advance cause there isn't even cell service where I am going. I padded my return date by a week for them to figure out. All listed in the paperwork when applied for the LOA.

I’m sorry about the loss of your Mom. I too thought it was the job of HR to schedule you when the LOA was over. A return date was made and that’s that.

IME as HR about half the people that go never return. About half of those disappear into the sunset wi5 no communication.

What really got me pissed off that I was calling to come back being ignored then they called as if I never even tried to get ahold of them. And treated me badly in the middle of trying to clean up someone's life and get their affairs in order. I mean it was nasty how she was on the phone. I had my grief in order but the amount of BS I could deal was still minimal and that attitude she had on the phone was way over the line. Cause they know how horrible the communication is when trying to leave and take messages. The accusatory nature of her voice cut me to the bone and the tank of ability to deal with idiots was at zero. So her ears bled and bled badly. A simple, "We haven't heard, you need more time or are you wanting to come back?" would have been the correct way to approach it. Not. "We are about to term you." as your opening line.

IME as HR about half the people that go never return. About half of those disappear into the sunset wi5 no communication.

Well I understand the reasoning behind keeping in contact I suppose but I just feel I should’ve been told that. It wouldn’t have hurt HR to just say ‘check in with us a week or two before coming to confirm’ or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back