Archived Returns - What's the point of a policy if we are told not to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, our directives from corporate are clear, attempt every return. We are supposed to use our empowerment to provide an "amazing" experience for every guest. You can "have a backbone" and make your own rules when you own your own company. I work for Target, though so I'm going by company policy. I may not agree with it, but I chose to work for this company.
No. I don't work at corporate.
No. I'm not a suck up.

I think you are drinking the kool-aid.

Attempt every return was a directive during q3 after the transgender fiasco and one the company has clearly backed off of once they realized how much money we lost last year.

Attempt every return was not "let the guest bend you over the service desk" if you don't use any discretion , your store will not make it's goals since returns come out of your daily sales.

Hard to give a great experience when you aren't making sales and your staff is disgruntled from you cutting hours at the end of the month.

No offense but I'm glad my gstl doesn't take your stance.

Yes, I am aware of the directives and how to proceed. But when items are returned that were purchased a year ago, you can't find them in the system, and then told to find something similar to get a DPCI and then it is overrided.. that goes way past attempt every return. Stores are so afraid of a bad survey they are enforcing the bad behaviors of returns.

Seriously? If it is out of the system, then no dice. Do they also do overrides on maxed out IDs?

Return policy ends, you deal with the manufacturer directly for warranty service..not the store you bought it from.. (Unless they're an authorized service center for that manufacturer)
And I say no.

I've bought things like TVs and radios and air conditioners that broke outside the return policy that I still returned to various stores because the item should last longer than that.

I'm not going to wait weeks for a replacement when I can return and get one same day. I don't care if the store takes the loss. They make enough money anyway

With the way Target chooses to align themselves, a year ago I couldn't blame any GSTL/ETL-GE for taking the path of least resistance and just not worrying about return fraud. If the company that pays you isn't worried about it, I can't see why you would.

On a personal level, since back when I started as a GSA I would always make every attempt to deny transactions that I thought weren't in the company's best interests. As someone that's been with the company 5yrs, at this point as GSTL I literally walk up to individuals I know to be doing no good, even if I've never seen them in my life, and tell them before I say anything else,"Take your stuff, get out of my store, and don't come back or you're leaving in handcuffs."

8/10 times they start cussing me out, and then My GSA and I will walk them out. (Assuming no AP).

That's not guest experience, that's the fraud experience.:rolleyes:

When it comes to our every day guests, I follow the policies and follow the prompts. If the POS allows it without any overrides you're all set. I will use common sense to deny any outlandish returns nicely and professionally for certain no receipt return cases. (No packaging, receipt, we can't find the DPCI, not in file, etc. )

And I say no.

I've bought things like TVs and radios and air conditioners that broke outside the return policy that I still returned to various stores because the item should last longer than that.

What exactly are you doing to all these items that you would know who will accept what? That's a pretty high breakage rate, it sounds like you break things for the purpose of getting shiny new items.

I'm not going to wait weeks for a replacement when I can return and get one same day. I don't care if the store takes the loss. They make enough money anyway

And that shows moral bankruptcy. There should be fair trade on both sides, they give you an item in exchange for your money. That is the right thing. If they take the money but don't give you anything, they are ethically wrong. If you take something without giving money in return, you are ethically wrong and it's simply a version of stealing. There's a reason manufacturer warranties exist, it's not the store's problem.

What exactly are you doing to all these items that you would know who will accept what? That's a pretty high breakage rate, it sounds like you break things for the purpose of getting shiny new items.

Nope, Skull Candy earbuds suck. Especially since I use them in the backroom and they take a beating

There's a reason manufacturer warranties exist, it's not the store's problem.
If the store takes it back it's their problem. That's how most guest think and it's the truth. They work to hard to make us, the guest happy

No reason not to take advantage of it. As in, following their policy which they don't care to enforce

I think you are drinking the kool-aid.

Attempt every return was a directive during q3 after the transgender fiasco and one the company has clearly backed off of once they realized how much money we lost last year.

Attempt every return was not "let the guest bend you over the service desk" if you don't use any discretion , your store will not make it's goals since returns come out of your daily sales.

Hard to give a great experience when you aren't making sales and your staff is disgruntled from you cutting hours at the end of the month.

No offense but I'm glad my gstl doesn't take your stance.
I agree. Unfortunately, my STL doesn't see it this way.

What do you do when someone brings in a used Target branded towel and says it does not meet their expectations?? :eek:

Happens more than you would think! We have a one year warranty on Target brands with the receipt!

Guests will return anything for any reason. I have heard about every story don't need it, broke/shrunk, wedding didn't happen, been in the hospital....

I remember one of my ETLs gave into a guest when they brought in a CD wallet that melted and ruined her CDs...of course no receipt. The reimbursed her for almost $100 for the CD wallet and approximate costs to replace the CDs.

Happens more than you would think! We have a one year warranty on Target brands with the receipt!
I heard a guest try that last week. She stated that she "read online somewhere" that you had up to a year to return Target brand items. The GSTM had never heard of that, and the guest's receipt was expired. I didn't hear the ending, but I walked away with the impression that they were going to deny the return.

I heard a guest try that last week. She stated that she "read online somewhere" that you had up to a year to return Target brand items. The GSTM had never heard of that, and the guest's receipt was expired. I didn't hear the ending, but I walked away with the impression that they were going to deny the return.

Your gstm was wrong, it's a corporate policy. So ASANTS wouldn't apply here.

Per target.com

Screenshot_20170705-165428.png

A lot of GSTM and even GSA's do not know about the one year policy for Target brand items with receipt.

I've been guest services for almost a decade now. I'm past caring about the return policy. Who cares? Why get bent out of shape over what Target as a company wants to allow? I attempt every return and I will go the extra mile for the guest if need be. I'm not stressed over something dumb and the guest leaves happy. Everyone wins.

I used to be really tough on people about returning things but now I'm less picky.

If a shirt has deodorant stains but it "doesn't fit" I let them return it. Hell, it can get deodorant on it in the fitting room.
If a lipstick has lip prints in it and "doesn't look good" I let them return it. We don't have testers. Our bad, not the guests'.
If towels have been washed and strings are hanging off but they were purchased only 3 weeks ago, I let them return them. Towels shouldn't shred in a month.

Now if a shirt is missing tags AND smells like perfume and smoke, I'm not taking it back. Urine odor? No, nope, not taking it back. Dented and scratched? Nope, not taking it back.

My fave has to be when someone bought something over a year ago and tries to return it. Now THAT I'll happily deny while pointing out to them that they're a complete dumbass. I mean seriously, trying to return 14 month old anything just makes me wonder what kind of thought processes they use because it's not like the rest of us humans.

Ended up getting guest relations called on me because I wouldn't return a box of diapers that was missing all but two diapers. Guest got a $50 gift card and apology from STL.

I hate corporate sometimes.

Are you fucking kidding??? They used up all the diapers and got rewarded for trying to scam Target??? Fucking unreal. Our STL's would NEVER let that shit fly.

at my store sure we attempt every return but we reserve the right to deny any return for any reason, and GSA/TLs trust us to make that call. also don't forget our official policy on target.com and posted in stores states we can deny any no receipt or opened/damaged item return. doesn't mean we will deny the return, but we can.

I've been guest services for almost a decade now. I'm past caring about the return policy. Who cares? Why get bent out of shape over what Target as a company wants to allow? I attempt every return and I will go the extra mile for the guest if need be. I'm not stressed over something dumb and the guest leaves happy. Everyone wins.

Ever since we have instituted no non receipt returns our sales have been a lot better. It's most stressful to not make sales.

Since one of our review metrics is to prevent shortage, I am glad we have team members who fight shady returns.

Ever since we have instituted no non receipt returns our sales have been a lot better. It's most stressful to not make sales.

Since one of our review metrics is to prevent shortage, I am glad we have team members who fight shady returns.
Wish this would happen in our store. The amount of salvage/CRC/ESIM brought to the back at is appalling. Factor in fraud and there is money being lost at the front.

Oh my good golly you hit the nail on the head. My store's mentality is of course we can take stuff we don't sell back... just defect it out! Meanwhile we are sending boxes upon boxes of salvage and CRC back on a daily basis. I just stopped caring about returns essentially. It kills me when I allow certain returns or override things because I know that my LOD squad will just make the guest happy and override me if I tried to deny it, so I just don't anymore. It's sad when I feel I care more about the company than they do. I get the idea that we are trying to keep guests in the store instead of going online, and some of the things they want to do are pretty cool, but some are just careless.

Are you fucking kidding??? They used up all the diapers and got rewarded for trying to scam Target??? Fucking unreal. Our STL's would NEVER let that shit fly.
My STL didn't either, but guest relations intervened. My store is usually somewhat OK about saying no but I have heard some horror stories.

That part is important because it's why they returned then. If I didn't say that, it would just make it look like I'm returning busted headphones

Yiu are returning busted headphones. Whether the headphones work or not really isn't Targets problem, its the manufacturers.

Walmart does it too

Doesn't make it right. This is part of walmarts problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back