Archived Right people in the Right position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinklesontop

Expert Retail Whore
I'm reminded at every meeting that we need to hire "the right people for the right position"...... and I couldn't agree more. I want a strong Team working for me. However..... why does it seem like a double-standard for the Leadership in the building? We're going on our 4th Softlines TL in less than a year! We clearly are NOT choosing the right people for TLs. So.... let's see how long #4 lasts.

IMHO TLs and ETLs are burned out quick. It is too much to ask them to take leadership duties but in the end, many of them are doing nothing more than daily TM tasks. Plus, all the garbage Corporate feeds them at the Business College is lies, pure lies!
Also, for some leaders, it also can be difficult to "know when to supervise" and "know when to help out" the team. The several stores I've been at, team members some time "forget" TL's and ETL's are there to SUPERVISE, not to be regulated to doing "grunt" work. For some stores, it has been the "culture" so long that leadership help out the team, when questions are asked to leadership, they were so "task oriented", they were unable to follow up and you basically get a "shit-show" for results.

Some people interview well. Know the right things to say.

I agree with you.... especially if the interview-ee is from outside the company. We can all be "snowed" by a smiling face with all the "right" responses. However..... as we promote from within, we see these TMs on a daily basis. They are being "interviewed" every day that they work ! I have a few TMs who are very good at their tasks, and they are the backbone of the department; but they (currently) lack the professionalism to Lead. IMO, they need more time to develop, and they ETLs agree...... yet these TMs are "insulted" when they see others (less capable) get promoted before them. I'm actually somewhat insulted too, that these people are promoted.
There seems to be a "wave" of TLs that are mimicking the role of a TL ------ they "coach", they "inspire", they "partner", they "status", they "drive"------ yet, they don't actually do ANYTHING !!! It seems like lip-service.... but it sounds like they've got a good game going. Whew !..... Rant over. :)

I'm reminded at every meeting that we need to hire "the right people for the right position"...... and I couldn't agree more. I want a strong Team working for me. However..... why does it seem like a double-standard for the Leadership in the building? We're going on our 4th Softlines TL in less than a year! We clearly are NOT choosing the right people for TLs. So.... let's see how long #4 lasts.

To be honest there is no really proven predictor of who is going to make a good team lead. I have seen mediocre tms make exceptional team leads and exceptional tms become terrible team leads.

To be honest there is no really proven predictor of who is going to make a good team lead. I have seen mediocre tms make exceptional team leads and exceptional tms become terrible team leads.

Some good indicators I've found in my employees:

Diverse communication ability
Takes initiative to teach themselves
Takes initiative to teach others
Level headed
Not afraid to offer a better solution without being asked.
Understands the importance of work life balance, ie takes time off but not excessively.

IMHO TLs and ETLs are burned out quick. It is too much to ask them to take leadership duties but in the end, many of them are doing nothing more than daily TM tasks. Plus, all the garbage Corporate feeds them at the Business College is lies, pure lies!

I think it is "New hire TLs and ETLS" that are burned out quick. Having been a PA, and now Signing TM. I have more responsibilities store wide, than any of the TL's do.

The problem is with Target's skepticism with promoting from within. (Which has never hurt a company, ever). My ETL-LOG, started out as a TL, then was promoted to probably the hardest position in our store (And at the time we all went over to 4am, rather than overnights, which was a MAJOR change) they also have no college degree, but was a Marine. Now he will more than likely be our STL in the future.

IMHO TLs and ETLs are burned out quick.
I think it is "New hire TLs and ETLS" that are burned out quick.

I think you both have a solid point.... I've seen both "newbies" struggle. Whether they are "new" to Target Leadership Team; or "newly" promoted to the Leadership Team.... I think there's a great deal of ambiguity in "theory vs. reality". When taking on the new role, they are led to believe (in theory) that they will be "inspiring, developing, coaching, mentoring, and delegating" their Team to achieve outstanding results. And, while they're "inspiring" the Team trying on outfits at the FR, and showing them merchandising tips on the computer(?), and making yet another spread sheet to fill-in everyday; REALITY just hit !!! Your price-change is still showing 1079 items to ticket, there's still 2 carts of unsorted at the FR, a baby just threw-up all over the crib display, your closing A&A TM just called out, there's still 2 tubs of clearance socks to push, and you have 2 interviews today. The REALITY is: this is YOUR department. You can't delegate EVERYTHING..... you HAVE to jump in and WORK !!! If your department fails, then YOU have failed. All Leadership "newbies" should learn: Leading by example is the best thing you can ever offer your Team. You will have results, and you will have respect.

Reactions: Him
Target likes to talk "right people, right place" but at our store at least, there is no consideration for that. When we went E2E, I expressed interest in Electronics TL because one of our HL's TL (who did all the toys/electronics SPL's, rollouts, etc.) had just left, and I'm way more interested in that area than food (I'm a Food TL of 3 years, looking for a change). Instead they moved the other HL TL (3 months in role) that knows nothing/doesn't care about electronics or video games, and doesn't keep up with new entertainment releases whatsoever.

Then they hired another Hardlines TL a few weeks later. We have a PA signed on the bench that could've easily taken my position if they had moved me (Food being her area of choice as well), but why promote from within when you can have 2 new people from outside the company?

Target likes to talk "right people, right place" but at our store at least, there is no consideration for that. When we went E2E, I expressed interest in Electronics TL because one of our HL's TL (who did all the toys/electronics SPL's, rollouts, etc.) had just left, and I'm way more interested in that area than food (I'm a Food TL of 3 years, looking for a change). Instead they moved the other HL TL (3 months in role) that knows nothing/doesn't care about electronics or video games, and doesn't keep up with new entertainment releases whatsoever.

Then they hired another Hardlines TL a few weeks later. We have a PA signed on the bench that could've easily taken my position if they had moved me (Food being her area of choice as well), but why promote from within when you can have 2 new people from outside the company?

Consumables is a big money maker !! They probably NEED you in that department !! Any chance they "don't want you to leave (fill in the department) because you are so good at what you do?" I've heard Leaders say this to keep from making too many Leadership changes. It's less training and less disruption for them. Don't get me wrong...... It totally sucks for you, and others like you, who've been held back from new opportunities. I have a TM who is absolutely fantastic in the Shoe dept; and I want to expand her horizons and see what else she can do in A&A....... and our Leadership won't allow it. "Keep her in Shoes, or it will fall apart...". One of these days, though..... I keep telling myself, they'll change their mind. Silence.... then persistent. :rolleyes:

Consumables is a big money maker !! They probably NEED you in that department !! Any chance they "don't want you to leave (fill in the department) because you are so good at what you do?" I've heard Leaders say this to keep from making too many Leadership changes. It's less training and less disruption for them. Don't get me wrong...... It totally sucks for you, and others like you, who've been held back from new opportunities. I have a TM who is absolutely fantastic in the Shoe dept; and I want to expand her horizons and see what else she can do in A&A....... and our Leadership won't allow it. "Keep her in Shoes, or it will fall apart...". One of these days, though..... I keep telling myself, they'll change their mind. Silence.... then persistent. :rolleyes:

I’ve been a victim of being too good in an area that I couldn’t expand to new opportunities. I got too good at one position that they held me back from consideration of team lead positions for years until one day the ETL HR was pushing hard on the ETL who oversaw me and really pushed to get an interview setup and I ended up getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back