Archived Rotating availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronics Man

Electronics Team Member
So last year I retired my bullseye nametag and got out of retail entirely. I also moved as well. However I am interested in returning to Target on an extreme part time basis in order to make some extra money.

Basically my current work schedule is a fixed rotation, as I work 12 hour days. So for Target availability this translates into working only certain days. A simple example is that lets say I'd be able to work a Monday this week, but next week I could only work a Wednesday. It would work that way every other week.

Now from my previous experience, I was under the impression that Target was not THAT flexible when it came to scheduling around other peoples work schedules. This is why I left Target completely in the first place, because I didn't think I could hold on to it. I am just curious though, is what I am looking for wishing for the moon, or do you guys think it would be worth applying to my local store?

To my knowledge, the availability "system" doesn't operate on a rotation basis. It allows a TM to put in their "weekly" availability. After that, the HR Team would have to treat your situation as if it were "special" and attempt to remember if this is your "on-week" or "off-week". Honestly, they don't have time for that. The HR Team has 200+ other TMs to worry about, that can offer waaaaaaay more dedication/availability to the store. Those TMs will get the hours long before you will. I'm w/ @Hardlinesmaster ..... if you really, REALLY want to come back, go for weekends. And NOT on a rotation.

P.S. Be prepared for Spot to be completely different than when you left a year ago. The expectations have changed.

Won't work. Stores are expecting open availability, even for minimal hours.

My store keeps asking TMs to open availability more.

JAS doesn’t let you put in a multiweek availability on an application, but myTime does allow you to submit multiweek availability. So if you need an availability that rotates over a two week period (or up to a six week period even) then myTime can accommodate. But you’d have to make them aware during your cold call or interview.

I have rotating availability. The availability schedule is for "week 1" and "week 2". Ask your HR which week rotation your store uses and fill out your availability for each week. I only work every other Saturday in addition to weekday availability.

How many days per week would you be able to work? If it's something like you can work both weekend days and M-W nights one week and W-F nights the next week (or something like that) it might be doable, but it would totally depend on store needs. My store just fired two electronics TMs, so they might be willing to work with that for an experienced electronics TM, but not all stores would.

But if you can only work a couple days/nights a week, it's probably not going to be worth it for the store.

Yes there is a way for HR to put you into the system on a rotating availability but it's highly unlikely that they'd re-hire you. No one has time to deal with such a strict availability when they have to write the schedule for the entire store or an entire department. Honestly if you can't commit to a fixed schedule then you should look for work elsewhere.

Yes there is a way for HR to put you into the system on a rotating availability but it's highly unlikely that they'd re-hire you. No one has time to deal with such a strict availability when they have to write the schedule for the entire store or an entire department. Honestly if you can't commit to a fixed schedule then you should look for work elsewhere.
HAHAHAHAHA You said fixed schedule! HAHAHAHA

Go for weekends only.

To my knowledge, the availability "system" doesn't operate on a rotation basis. It allows a TM to put in their "weekly" availability. After that, the HR Team would have to treat your situation as if it were "special" and attempt to remember if this is your "on-week" or "off-week". Honestly, they don't have time for that. The HR Team has 200+ other TMs to worry about, that can offer waaaaaaay more dedication/availability to the store. Those TMs will get the hours long before you will. I'm w/ @Hardlinesmaster ..... if you really, REALLY want to come back, go for weekends. And NOT on a rotation.

P.S. Be prepared for Spot to be completely different than when you left a year ago. The expectations have changed.

Unfortunately going for weekends only would not work, as I work every other weekend. Lol I realize it is different, I do keep in contact with my former co-workers and I am still a loyal Target shopper. Although I doubt expectations have changed too much. Also, it's not like I am looking to work Electronics again, or even Hardlines. I'd just want to work cashier.

Won't work. Stores are expecting open availability, even for minimal hours.

My store keeps asking TMs to open availability more.

I figured this may be the case, as it was at my old store.

JAS doesn’t let you put in a multiweek availability on an application, but myTime does allow you to submit multiweek availability. So if you need an availability that rotates over a two week period (or up to a six week period even) then myTime can accommodate. But you’d have to make them aware during your cold call or interview.

I thought MyTime was being switched out for Kronos though?

I have rotating availability. The availability schedule is for "week 1" and "week 2". Ask your HR which week rotation your store uses and fill out your availability for each week. I only work every other Saturday in addition to weekday availability.

Interesting, thanks for the input.

How many days per week would you be able to work? If it's something like you can work both weekend days and M-W nights one week and W-F nights the next week (or something like that) it might be doable, but it would totally depend on store needs. My store just fired two electronics TMs, so they might be willing to work with that for an experienced electronics TM, but not all stores would.

But if you can only work a couple days/nights a week, it's probably not going to be worth it for the store.

Well "week 1" I'd only be able to work 6 hours max, and "week 2" I'd only be able to work 18 hours max. Like I said, I'm not even looking to get back into electronics. Just an extreme part time cashier gig would be fine for me.

Lol, well by that logic then I'm not sure I'd be able to find work "elsewhere" as I'm sure other retail establishments are similar in scheduling. I was just thinking Target, since I already know how to work everything, and I wouldn't have to learn a new system.

Anyways thanks everyone for the input. I think what I will do is hold off on putting in any formal application. If I happen to bump into one of the execs at my local store, I'll talk to them about it, as a few of them transferred from my old store.

Mytime is powered by kronos. Mytime isn’t going anywhere. JAS is being replaced next year by workday, though.

Lol, well by that logic then I'm not sure I'd be able to find work "elsewhere" as I'm sure other retail establishments are similar in scheduling. I was just thinking Target, since I already know how to work everything, and I wouldn't have to learn a new system.

Elsewhere doesn't necessarily mean retail. Think Instacart, Uber, contract jobs, etc.

Elsewhere doesn't necessarily mean retail. Think Instacart, Uber, contract jobs, etc.

Spot goes by business needs on hours. You can try shipt, uber, etc. like @LearningTree says.

Hmmm true true! I was so focused on the Bullseye that I kinda forgot about those options. I think I will look into Shipt, since that is owned by Target at least I don't think my cars would work for Lyft or Uber. Shipt would definitely be right up my alley since I can name my own hours. Thanks again guys!

Check with the store HR.

I knew some people that worked 2 jobs or had rotating requirements. They got approval for rotating shifts and just submit availability changes every couple weeks.

I would be cool with it at my store, as long as you understood that hours between the weeks might change depending on other people’s availabilities.

w00t! So I just contacted Shipt, and they are actually going to be in my area soon! As soon as they are, I'm putting in an application. I'm actually pretty excited about this. So thanks again for the suggestion. This whole thing is taking a turn in a direction I would not have thought.

w00t! So I just contacted Shipt, and they are actually going to be in my area soon! As soon as they are, I'm putting in an application. I'm actually pretty excited about this. So thanks again for the suggestion. This whole thing is taking a turn in a direction I would not have thought.
cool thing about shipt is you make own your schedule on when you want to work. I have spoken to a few shipt folks & they like what they are doing.

Last edited:
I see a lot of the same people with Shipt, and have pretty much since the day they opened it up in my area, so it must not completely suck.

And they keep coming to our store despite the remodel, which has to be total hell on them, so I guess...good for us? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back