Archived Rules of calling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
its is absolutely necessary to call out 2 hours before your shift? Can the ETL not take your call if you don't call out 2 hours beforehand? I always thought it was recommended that you call out 2 hours beforehand so they can try to replace your shift but I didn't think ETLs can say you still need to show up for work if you didn't call out 2 hours beforehand.

My Senior TL told me that i have to call at least 2 hours after shift start to not get marked a NCNS. If I know i am not gunna be in the day before then tto try to get someone to cover shift.

If you have a 10 AM shift, you must call out by 12 or it will be classified as a NCNS. We would prefer you call as soon as you know you won't be coming in so that we can replace your shift.

Some LODs think they're above the rules, but you also should never be asked or told to come in when you call out. You'll be fine as long as you call within 2 hours.

Well this "rule" is open to a lot of exceptions.... Geesh. Anything can bloody happen 2 hours before a shift. What a silly "rule"

That's why they say "two hours before or as soon as possible." And that's why the NCNS doesn't show up until you are over two hours late.

That said, "so they can replace the shift?" Ha. Good one.

It also helps when that they actually put phones on night service if you work in an overnight store. No hears a phone that only rings in the fitting room.

Rules vary by store/leadership. Please consult with your TL, ETL, or ETL-HR for clarification.

You have 2 hours to call out after your shift starts or you will be marked NCNS. No exceptions at my store

Target has a very vague, open interpretation per store attendance policy. Basically there is none, except if you NCNS 3x in a row, you're fired.
NO WHERE in the handbook does it state what the attendance policy is.
It's very hard to get fired from Target for attendance. Sure they can put you on CA but it takes time.
At my store our HR tm has an extremely hard time getting verification (even in the closing emails) on whether a TM NCNSed or called in and spoke to someone. It's really ridiculous.
Letting someone call out 2 hrs AFTER their shift starts is very generous, in my opinion. Who else is so lenient?

So if you're sick or for some reason can't make it to work, what exactly is the process for calling in and saying you can't work? Do you have to speak with a LOD or ETL?

Call and ask to speak with the LOD. Do not leave a message for them with the operator, though any operator worth their minimum wage would know that you need to speak to someone higher up.

Ok cool, thanks. I wanted to know just in case something like that comes up in the future. This is probably a dumb question but is it right to explain why you called out? It seems more respectful.

You don't need to, and they can't (well, they aren't supposed to) ask. But I agree, it does seem more respectful than, "I won't be in today, good luck with that" so I would encourage more of an explanation if you feel you can give it (even just saying you're sick...you don't need to give them the details).

Wait, what? You aren't a NCNS if you call off 2 hours after your shift starts? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read in my team member handbook that you are supposed to call off no later than 2 hours BEFORE the start of your shift to give management sufficient time to replace you. If you don't, it said it is considered a NCNS. A long time ago I called off a half hour after I was supposed to be there because I was really sick, and they marked me as a NCNS when I came in the next day even though I called. One of our Senior Team Leads also mentioned it one time when a team member called off an hour before her shift when I was right next to him.

Not sure how my store works, but I hate the idea of anything less than 2 hours being classified as a NCNS. It gives sick employees no incentive to try and tough it out. There have been a handful of times where I wake up with a migraine, tell myself that I'll try and tough it out, and then throw up an hour before my shift.

The 2 hour rule just incentivizes me not to even try to come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back