Rushed job interview

Yesterday I went to an interview at Target (I applied on Wednesday). I was told to wait in the break room for several minutes then when the lady comes to bring me to the break room, she apologizes for being late and is basically in a rush to get to the interview room. When we are in the room, she talks about getting to know one another, asks for my availability and a few situational questions. She then asks me what questions I have and I asked her three: what the training program is like, if there's room for growth and what my job duties would be as I applied for all positions. She then answers and the next thing I know, we are yet again speed walking out the door and says I will be called in a few days. Once I am out, I noticed it's only 1:10. The interview started around 1:05 so it only lasted just 5 minutes. Shortest interview I've had so far. This was my 5th job interview in the past few weeks (different stores). I am feeling depressed. 😓 I look at the application process and it says still in progress. Also, my friend who applied before me was hired on the spot. Does this truly mean I did not get the job? I feel that since it was so rushed, the lady just didn't like me. Are there ever any times that target calls for a second interview? Or there's really no chance for me at this job?

With the new hiring system I personally don’t use the terms hired or turned down when interviewing. At the end of the interview I just tell them they will receive an email tell them if we are moving forward or not. Some of the other leaders are up front and say if you got the job or not so honestly it depends on the interviewee. Don’t give up hope yet. Still a chance they’ll hire you. It’s not really fair to you but a lot of people rush through interviews

With the new hiring system I personally don’t use the terms hired or turned down when interviewing. At the end of the interview I just tell them they will receive an email tell them if we are moving forward or not. Some of the other leaders are up front and say if you got the job or not so honestly it depends on the interviewee. Don’t give up hope yet. Still a chance they’ll hire you. It’s not really fair to you but a lot of people rush through interviews

I'm just worried I didn't just because the interview was too rushed, 5 minutes long and in my experience, when they say they will call, it usually means I didn't get the job. Also, it seems everyone gets hired on the spot with target 😓

I'm just worried I didn't just because the interview was too rushed, 5 minutes long and in my experience, when they say they will call, it usually means I didn't get the job. Also, it seems everyone gets hired on the spot with target 😓
On the spot hiring technically ended without new hiring system. In the past you would have to fill out a job offer with HR after the interview but now it’s all automatic and you’re emailed the required paperwork.

On the spot hiring technically ended without new hiring system. In the past you would have to fill out a job offer with HR after the interview but now it’s all automatic and you’re emailed the required paperwork.
My friend was hired a few days ago and did the background check right after the interview. Same day. My application is still in progress. 🥺

My friend was hired a few days ago and did the background check right after the interview. Same day. My application is still in progress. 🥺

No rejection letter yet means there’s still a chance. Also a chance your friend interviewed with HR directly so they just got it out of the way. Hard to tell

No rejection letter yet means there’s still a chance. Also a chance your friend interviewed with HR directly so they just got it out of the way. Hard to tell
Thank you so much for the reassurance. I feel a little better. I'm thinking now if I don't get this job I have literally 4 other targets to apply to 🤞🤞🤞

Everybody is super busy with getting the store ready for the holidays. Not an excuse but thats the reason. Time isn't allocated to do Interviews, they still have to finish their tasks in the time alotted.

Everybody is super busy with getting the store ready for the holidays. Not an excuse but thats the reason. Time isn't allocated to do Interviews, they still have to finish their tasks in the time alotted.
Yes, the lady who hired me did come in rushing saying something about being busy and black Friday so hopefully I still have a chance 🤞🤞

To clarify, you can’t apply to multi target store within 60 days.
So you're saying if I get rejected from one target, I can reapply to another target til after 60 days? What if I did? Would the people looking at applications for the other target disqualify me/skip over me when they look for people to call about an interview?

were you hired on the spot? If not, how long did it take for them to call you for the job?
I’ll be honest, I don’t remember. It was 6 years ago, and I did receive a phone call at some point. I’m not sure if that was before the interview or after the interview.

But interviews are usually pretty quick.

Edit: The more I think about it, I think I wasn’t hired on the spot. I got a phone call saying I was hired, and was told to go to orientation. I think that’s the order of events.

At least my store doesn't even tell the people who are doing interviews until you show up that they have to do an interview. So rushed would be an understatement.

To clarify, you can’t apply to multi target store within 60 days.

I literally applied at the store closest to me, was rejected, went home, immediately applied at a store 4 miles farther away from me, interviewed 2 days later, and was hired at the second store.

FWIW, my interview was about 5 minutes as well. I was still hired though.

The first store I applied at though seemed to largely reject my application specifically because I had worked at the second store previously. It very much seemed that they assumed if I was applying at their store rather than at my old store it was because my old store wouldn't re-hire me. They had two different ETL's interview me, and both made a big deal out of asking why I wasn't applying at my old store instead.

Last edited:
Back