Archived SBTLs, I am in need of help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TLDR: What can i do as a transitioning SF > SB TL to best prepare for my new role?

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around here for a while and finally decided to post. Currently, i'm an SFTL about to transition to a starbucks at the end of the month (our 4 week out meeting with the DM is this thursday), and I'm wondering what the best way to prepare for my incoming role is. We have a starbucks across the street and I spent about 45 minutes there just observing how they made drinks, what was on special, how they used customer loyalty techniques, etc, but I'd love some input from someone who's been working at an actual Tarbucks. This week has been difficult to focus on much though, since I am attending a talent day on Friday and there is a lot of pressure on me from our STL.

My ETL HR pulled me aside the other day and told me he wanted me to incorporate more starbucks into everyday TM life, to the point where everyone would get sick of me talking about it. I agree to an extent, but I also think he just wants me to really "HR" the assignment, which just isn't who I am.

This assignment is sink or swim for my career, as this would most likely be my last one before I'm offered ETL interviews again, and I would appreciate any advice that this forum has to offer. Thanks guys!

Welcome!
Samples, new things at sb, & great guest stories. Basically, it's you are coffee bartender. It's a great place to connect with everyone & deal with crazy drink orders too. Think about it next time at your favorite bar, you go in. Your bar keep says hi & same thing? They put your drink in front of you, they start conversing with you about everything & anything. Make it fun & your team will love it, too. My SBTL is awesome at that, at my store. She cares about her team & sales. She really loves her job.

Thanks for the tips! I think my improvement to be made right now is really trying to see it from the guests POV instead of from the business standpoint. Hanging out at a starbucks definitely helped, but I really feel like I could be doing more right now

Check the boards (Siren's Eye) for upcoming events - think there's some weekly specials coming up.
Starbucks Is Vibe Overdrive; they even have us posting a sign that drink satisfaction is guaranteed or we will remake your drink.
Just rolled out the new Tiramisu latte & brought back Caramel Flan. If you have slow moments, send a barista out with a tray full of samples; you'll see an uptick in traffic. When a storm knocked our power out, we swept the front lanes with samples while everyone waited for the registers to reboot.
We make samples for huddles & let the team know about upcoming promos. Make sure your signing is up-to-date; put your floor sign near your entrance.
We're located between two VERY busy SB & we get LOTS of runoff traffic as a result. So many times we have people who didn't even know there was a SB in our store & we've been there for years!

I tried the Tiramisu the other day because they were sampling in a store I was shopping in (not Target) and it was really good.

That one has been running neck & neck with the flan.
Right now everyone is coming up with a lot of 'secret menu' frapps, enough for its own thread.
At Christmas some kids told me about the peppermint patty: double chocolatey chip with some peppermint.
During Valentine's we did a lot of cotton candy (vanilla bean with raspberry) & strawberry chocolate (strawberries & cream with java chips & mocha drizzle).

Damn! I wish we had a SB. I'd crush it!

My store doesn't have a SB but I'd love to be SBTL. Seems like a fantastic workcenter overall and a pretty chill TL position.

My store doesn't have a SB but I'd love to be SBTL. Seems like a fantastic workcenter overall and a pretty chill TL position.
Except you answer to your SB district manager AND your ETL.
Twice the fun for not-enough pay.

I've been in the position for about 2 months and it's been really cool having my own little area of the store. The only time is isn't fun is when you are by yourself and there is a line of 10 people staring at you. I'm actually glad that my ETL and STL don't care about Starbucks so I only have to worry about the SB DM.

Diggity,
I am a SBTL, as well. I can tell you to ALWAYS be steritech ready. Cleanliness and freshness are a big deal in food. Make sure you never have out of dates, and date all food items. Also, never forget to complete your cleaning and time&temp logs.
I will say it is a heavy burden balancing Starbucks and Target. Your ETL will want one thing, while your Starbucks DM wants another.

How do Starbucks team members learn about secret menu recipes? Are they learned in training? Is there a manual somewhere or do you end up "winging" it?

Goggle it. It's the worst kept 'secret' out there.
Ofttimes the kids will give me ingredient list or show me the recipe on their phone. I'll write up the cup & go from there.
Some are pretty meh but there's a few that are spot-on.

@diggity: SOS is right about Steritech. We used to get a call from a nearby sister store that they'd just left & but not see hide nor hair. Then they'd come in the next week just as I was sitting down for my break.

How do Starbucks team members learn about secret menu recipes? Are they learned in training? Is there a manual somewhere or do you end up "winging" it?

I really hate this website. It is not even affiliated with Starbucks. I have had to crack down on some of my team for sampling from it in the past. A guest would come up asking for a "cinnamon roll" or "butterbeer" and they would get those couple of team members who didn't know the website and really let them have it for not knowing. I tell the team that if the guest gives us the recipe, we can do it. Otherwise, it is a no go.

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! I am really excited about the transition and it seems like it'll be a lot of fun. Sounds like as long as I stay on top of steritech and compliance standards it shouldn't be too bad (hopefully), but I'm sure I will be back here soon looking for more help :p

I might try to do this too. I currently work in a hospital kitchen so I'm familiar with temp logs and dating. I know we just lost ours, but I haven't heard anything yet. Does SB require a dedicated TL for SB? I seem to recall reading that on here.

It requires a TL, but that TL could also be the TL for Food Avenue. Currently, I'm the TL for Starbucks, Food Avenue, and I'm a senior TL so I spend a couple shifts out on the sales floor as the LOD. A couple times over the last few months, I've had a week with zero shifts in either Starbucks or Food Avenue; I spent some time doing the order, but that was it, and my team did great without me. If you hire the right people and train them well, it can easily be the best run workcenter in the store.

Does SB require a dedicated TL for SB? I seem to recall reading that on here.
Under the franchise agreement, SB is supposed to have a separate TL. Some lower vol stores get around it by having the SBTL over both areas but they also have a FAA (food ave assistant, equivalent to a GSA) to handle the cafe duties.
We've incorporated our date-checking with our weekly task list:
Cleaning the condiment bar? Check dates on the cocoa, cinnamon, vanilla, sweeteners.
Wiping down the coolers? Check the milk, juices, lemonade, fizzio syrups, etc.
Filling the endcap? Check coffees, impulse snacks, etc.
Stocking the shelves? Check dates while you FIFO.

Under the franchise agreement, SB is supposed to have a separate TL. Some lower vol stores get around it by having the SBTL over both areas but they also have a FAA (food ave assistant, equivalent to a GSA) to handle the cafe duties.

Note that this is how it's supposed to be. At my store, we have never had a Food Service Assistant (though someone does nearly that exact job description, without the pay). We just earned a Food Ave TL by increasing our combined FA+SB sales, but they're taking that TL position and making it a sales floor TL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back