Archived scanning cheat sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still in the 2 week training mode and tomorrow is my 2nd and last day on cashiering..(hired for softlines)
can someone kindly give me a quick writeup on scanning, coupons and totaling order... last week I think a screwed up by totaling before I scanned coupons.. so its scanning items.. ( give gift card if it comes up on the screen),, then scan coupons, red gift cards.. after all discounts then hit total ?? how to a handle a reg target gift card when someone wants to use it for payment? and if they still owe more how do I handle this...

It's just plain nuts that this company has SUCH poor training if any at all.. and just throws us out on the registers.. there also should be a quickie ref guide by every register.. esp for WIC or regular checks and what about infant formula checks.. how are they handled??? thanks for any help..

Whoa, man. No need to make it complicated. When in doubt, scan all the items (and scan the gift cards if they earn one), then scan coupons and cartwheel. Then hit total. When a guest wants to pay with a gift card, hit total and scan the barcode of the gift card. If there is a remaining balance on the card, it will appear at the bottom of the receipt. Just take a look before you throw the gift card away or give it back to the guest. If they still owe more, you continue on with the payment as normal. Just read the screen and use the K-keys.

Those infant formula checks are rebate checks. They are listed under K5 (I believe). it will tell you what to do with it. Same with normal checks. As for food stamps or SNAP, most people have a card for that. When they swipe their card, an option will appear on the card reader to run it with SNAP or WIC or whatever.

Thought rebate checks were under K2 (checks).
Also, does ANYONE see traveler's checks any more?
Those were the only ones that you could get change back from.

Thought rebate checks were under K2 (checks).
Also, does ANYONE see traveler's checks any more?
Those were the only ones that you could get change back from.

The first (and only) time I ever had a guest pay with traveler's checks, I was on back-up from the sales floor. I had to call over the GSTL because I had no idea how to do it (and I had only ever heard mention of it in my cashier training several years ago). I figured out the POS part easily (K5 Other Checks > K1 Traveler's Check), but I didn't know that only one check could be accepted per transaction (and neither did the GSTL).

We had multiple traveler's checks tendered for a single transaction but they couldn't cash a check outright.
Ex: guest total is $68 & they tender three $20 traveler's checks. K5, K1 & it should ask the amt of the check. Enter the amt & imprint the check. Repeat with the other two then the drawer opens for their change: $12.00.
Count out their change, place the traveler's checks with the other checks & close the drawer.
We DID have to verify the watermark, the check had to have a signature on it & the guest had to 'countersign' their signature again in front of you (which had to match the other sig). No ID was required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back