Archived Scanning Queation

Status
Not open for further replies.

B26

Hey all,

I go in for my second day if work tomorrow and should be on a register alone by the end if the day.

I think I have the basics down but my biggest problem is items not scanning. I take a lot of time to locate the barcode and sometimes have to run it down the scanner a few times before it beeps.

Somehow I got all green scores on my 11 checkouts yesterday but I would like to know some tips to be quicker.

Thanks!

Keep on practicing! There 5 different ways to scan.
1. Base plate scanner
2. Side scanner
3. Hand scanner
4. Type UPC in manually
5. Type dpci or item number manually
Most upc's or barcodes are on the bottom right hand side depending on size of product.

I always tell new cashiers that I'm training to just take their time and not worry about speed scores the first few days. It'll come and you' ll be able to scan without looking all over for bar codes. Well, for most things. There are still some things I have to search for bar codes on and I've been with Target for close to 6 yrs (at the end of this month:wacko:).

You will get the hang of where to find barcodes and DPCIs (especially clothing). Just leave hangers on until you have processed the transaction.

Thanks for the help, everyone! Any tips to scan quicker and more efficiently or will that all come with practice?

I got 30 hours (max for minors) this week and next, so I'll be getting a lot of practice.

Speed will come once you're more comfortable with everything. I would just focus on accuracy right now. As far as clothing, I actually find it faster to take the hangers off before I start the transaction - unless the guest puts their clothing down last, then I scan all of the tags with the hand scanner and bag them while the guest is paying.

Speed will come once you're more comfortable with everything. I would just focus on accuracy right now. As far as clothing, I actually find it faster to take the hangers off before I start the transaction - unless the guest puts their clothing down last, then I scan all of the tags with the hand scanner and bag them while the guest is paying.

This. Speed will come with practice, so try to focus on accuracy for now. It's better to be slow and accurate than fast and furiously wrong.

Yeah I've been a cashier for about 6 weeks now, and my speeds are usually in the 93-97 range. It's not very difficult. If you don't get the beep on the first pass, I usually find a turn of the wrist does wonders. And when it comes to clothes, I find hangers off first works a lot better. But its more of a preference thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back