Archived scheduled to start 3 hours earlier than my availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jfk1963

I just started this week at my local Target. First shift went well. The only issue thus far... Starting next week I am scheduled to start 3 hours earlier than my availability calls for. They want me to work till 10:00 P.M on Saturday and back on Sunday at 6:00 A.M!! Is this really what Target does!!?? None of this was mentioned in my interviews. I told the HR lady an she said she would "look into it". Any thoughts??

THANKS!!

Yes, that is what Target does... What is your availability?

When I was scheduled before my availability, I just straight up told them ahead of time I am not going to be here until x o’clock (when my availability starts), and I’ll stay later if you want to make up the hours I’m missing. Worked for me but ASANTS I guess

You just got yourself a Clopen shift--a rite of passage for many Target TMs. Congrats!

Starting next week I am scheduled to start 3 hours earlier than my availability calls for

I told the HR lady an she said she would "look into it". Any thoughts??

Follow up with HR to make sure your shift gets updated to be within your availability. You are only responsible for working any shifts assigned within the agreed upon availability (what you discussed and signed during the interview).

They want me to work till 10:00 P.M on Saturday and back on Sunday at 6:00 A.M!! Is this really what Target does!!?? None of this was mentioned in my interviews.

It sucks and I don't like them but clopen shifts happen sometimes. As long as they are within your availability, clopen shifts are fair game in terms of scheduling.

Last edited:
My availability is from 9 am to 10 pm 7 days per week. We close at 10 P.M

Yeah I never agreed to any clopen shift.

I asked a buddy of mine who used to work at Target an he said they can't schedule outside of your availability like that. Although they certainly can ask. Hmmmmmmmm.....

Just follow up with both HR and your TL that you have been scheduled against your availability and won't be in til 9.

Yeah it's interesting because on my first week schedule they handed me my availability was marked on the paper 9:00 A.M - 10:00 P.M.

I have clopens this weekend, too, sucks ass. Sat-Sun is only like 7-8 hours between shifts, but Monday is a later starting shift so I can sleep in a little after work Sunday. I just want to die, it's seriously such a dick move to do that to a TM. Not even ETLs or LODs should have to do that. I did an overnight once at Target and the Closing LOD was there as I was clocking in at 10pm, and then my shift went until 6:30, but we couldn't finish the entire overnight project we had until about 7:30, and the same LOD was back at 7am for an opening LOD shift, it just feels bad.

Yeah an it's my first week! yea!!

You don’t “agree to” clopens they just happen if you’re available. You only have to have 8 hours between shifts. But they cannot schedule you outside your availability, mistakes do happen with scheduling and your HR should fix it. You don’t have to show up until you’re available and they cannot write you up for being late if it’s outside your availability.

Yes, I clearly am NOT available than. Thanks

Yeah it's interesting because on my first week schedule they handed me my availability was marked on the paper 9:00 A.M - 10:00 P.M.
The electronic scheduling flags shifts outside availability. Paper training schedules rely on the writer to check. Ask HR and your TL to fix it. Shouldn’t be a problem if they’ve documented your availability.

Talk to them ASAP, good luck!

Edit: just re-read. I see now your electronic schedule is outside availability, my bad. The point still stands, keep bugging HR to fix it.

I told HR yesterday an she said she'd get back to me.

I told HR yesterday an she said she'd get back to me.

Good and stay on top of it. I have NO respect for TM's who whine about shifts being outside of their availability but wait till the LAST minute to tell anyone. As soon as you see that shift that isn't right that's when you speak to HR, not the day before you're expected to work it. (Yes, actual experience with a TM at my store) Most stores give out schedules 2 weeks in advance (granted they slip at that sometimes - ASANTS) so there should be plenty of time to fix mistakes in scheduling and make sure those hours you can't work are covered by someone else. :)

I was scheduled outside of my availability and I already had something planned. I first verified my unavailability, then I told everyone under the sun I couldn't work it. I tried to get a replacement and no one took it so my ETL told me to be sure to call out the day of the shift. It wasn't a biggie to them since I did speak up immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back