Scheduling

Can someone please tell me what I should do. I have been working at my store for about a month now and the way they scheduled me in the beginning was fine until now they aren’t being fair. I specifically told them I much rather morning and day shifts over afternoons/nights. Clearly they don’t care what works best for you. They forced me to have open availability but always schedule me afternoon/nights and every Saturday and Sunday. I didn’t put my availability completely open for them to take advantage of it and they continue to decline my availability.

Can someone please tell me what I should do. I have been working at my store for about a month now and the way they scheduled me in the beginning was fine until now they aren’t being fair. I specifically told them I much rather morning and day shifts over afternoons/nights. Clearly they don’t care what works best for you. They forced me to have open availability but always schedule me afternoon/nights and every Saturday and Sunday. I didn’t put my availability completely open for them to take advantage of it and they continue to decline my availability.
When I first started all I did was closing shifts and weekends. At my store that’s how most people start off. If you want some weekends off I suggest requesting some off.

Early shifts are probably preferred by the TMs at your store who have been there longer, so the less desirable shifts are given to new hires. You’re right, Target leaders don’t care about what works best for you, they only care about what works best for them and the “needs of the business”. Be prepared to hear this phrase frequently at Target, anytime they are screwing you over it will be the justification.
You can’t change your availability for the first 90 days but even if you could they would only cut your hours and hire someone else to cover your former afternoon/night shifts. If you need a specific weekend off you can request it, but it’s not guaranteed that you will get it. Otherwise, working every weekend is pretty common, especially for new hires.

Open availability is not your friend especially when you are new.
This is 100% true. Open availability does not mean you will get more hours, but you will likely get crappier hours.
If your user name is your real name you might want to change it ASAP for your own protection. Target does not appreciate team members posting here, so it’s best to be anonymous. Good luck!

Mornings are for the old timers. New hires get the leftover hours.
We warned you.

Back