Archived Seasonal Flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I got hired 2 days ago and orientation is the first week of November. I have some questions. I want to know what's the main job of a flow member(seasonal flow), what to expect? Will I be able to interact with customers? (that's what I want, I dont want to be in the back a whole day) . Working for target has always been one of my dream jobs, so how can I get a permancy? What can I do to show the manager I don't want to be just a seasonal employee but a devoted permanent employee. As a seasonal could I also ask for hours? For example if someone can't make it to a shift could I ask for that shift if no one can take it? Will I be cross trained? What should I do the "fastest, and most accurate" to meet the managers expectations? If I don't make it to a permancy, will I still be consider for future openings? Besides seasonal openings?
also, could I wear a hoodie? Any kind or does it have to be red? Will I receive a target red shirt? They just told me to go with any red shirt (bummer can't take a selfie with that)
Thank you.

Greetings! I, too, was once a seasonal flow employee/team member before I was hired on "full time". For the most part you will either be on the line helping to sort product to their designated pallet(s) to be work later, inside the truck loading the line or you will be on the floor helping to stock as the truck is being unloaded.
Customer interaction is guaranteed unless they have you in the backroom handling trash/cardboard, which is unlikely...at least in MY store.
The way I got hired on after the season was to be flexible in my schedule, move quickly when working out product, stock accurately, and never be afraid to correct what is wrong on the shelf...unless the aisle is ptm, but that is for another time. If the label says it should go to 1-1-1, but the product there is not what you have, take both products to the nearest scanner or find someone with a pda to scan the products and stock accordingly.
When I started, they told me we each get 1 red shirt provided for free. Team members at my store wear a red shirt and red hoodie or a red jacket. No one seems to mind.
When looking to take shifts, there should be a sign up list in the break room where team members list the shift they want someone to cover. If said shift is in a place you are trained for, sign up and wait for approval. Also, when your team lead asks for volunteers to stay and work, do it. I have found that most people seriously underestimate what the 90 day probationary period is for. While you did get the job, you have another 90 days to sell yourself/prove yourself to your team lead/target. Work hard, grin and bare it, and you may find yourself cross trained in the back room to help with backstock, like me.

Also: welcome to the break room, and flow team.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for answering my post, I do hope I get to be on the floor restocking, do I get to choose? . By the way one last question. About the walkie, do every target member receive one for their shift, or is it assign by whoever is in charge?

Greetings and Salutations.
Welcome to The Break Room.

If you're working flow you don't get to choose, they're going to send you where you're most needed.
You'll check out a walkie at the beginning of your shift though I know some stores have issues with not having enough for the entire flow team so they group people off.
My store didn't provide a shirt so it's cool you work for one that does.
Cross training comes after you've proved yourself at the job you came in for and some nagging.
It's hard work and can be a bit demoralizing at first if you're not used to it.
I started on Flow and was promoted to Signing Ninja.

At my store, flow pretty much is always weeding itself out, so anyone who would want to stay after the holiday who doesn't completely suck will be offered a position.

From an ETL Log perspective - sometimes keeping seasonal TMs is out of our hands. Sometimes we only have a few spots to fill because once February hits we are stripped of hours and it's hard to give everyone a decent schedule until late March. My first 4th quarter we hired 30 seasonal TMs for flow and kept 3. My second 4th quarter I was only allowed to hire 12 TMs and we didn't keep any.

Don't complain to others about the work. Don't ask to be on another team because you don't like flow. Ask to learn as much as possible. Learn how to backstock, learn how to do repacks quickly, be the fastest truck unloader, and volunteer for Pfresh. Make it known you want to stay after the holiday

From an ETL Log perspective - sometimes keeping seasonal TMs is out of our hands. Sometimes we only have a few spots to fill because once February hits we are stripped of hours and it's hard to give everyone a decent schedule until late March. My first 4th quarter we hired 30 seasonal TMs for flow and kept 3. My second 4th quarter I was only allowed to hire 12 TMs and we didn't keep any.

Don't complain to others about the work. Don't ask to be on another team because you don't like flow. Ask to learn as much as possible. Learn how to backstock, learn how to do repacks quickly, be the fastest truck unloader, and volunteer for Pfresh. Make it known you want to stay after the holiday

AND ALWAYS....

ALWAYS...

Wash, rinse and Sanitize.

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the comments. I'll try my best to let them know my passion to work for Target.

Good luck on Flow. Most stores other teams seem to Hate the Flow TM. You best best to staying on after seasonal is to not get pushed into a easily replaceable postion. Like pushing on the floor. After you get your training, try to see if you can get put into a more specialized position. Like stocking Electronics, Unloading the Truck, or backstocking after the truck is unloaded. Most new TMs are thrown on the floor when they start and if you were hired as a group, it's very hard to stand out.

I got lucky, when I was hired, we had a call out and they needed someone to help unload the truck. We, it turns out I was actually then the vets so I was a guaranteed keep one the season ended.

I worked flow for years. Thankless job. Since being apart of it, flow did eventually get more recognition, and respect. Work hard, and you'll be there until the end of days (or at least a better position comes).

I thankfully got out of it (even though I still end up helping them out). I still feel a "team work" when it comes to them.

And even though we were on a timed stocking, we were there for the customers, first and foremost.

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely take everything in consideration and try my best to get into a more not so easy replaceable position. I love technology so ill see if I can get into that part of the store. By the way do we get any first dibs on black Friday? Like could we first buy something we really want before the store opens? I'm hoping to get two gaming consoles.

Small update, I start my training this week on Thursday. I have a question, why target is such a reputable company yet they have such issues with payroll? Is it because the starting wage for some people is good enough that they don't need more then 40 hours? Or they just greedy? Or whats the problem?

Small update, I start my training this week on Thursday. I have a question, why target is such a reputable company yet they have such issues with payroll? Is it because the starting wage for some people is good enough that they don't need more then 40 hours? Or they just greedy? Or whats the problem?
They dont want to pay any insurance benefits to anyone.

Oh that explains then. They didn't really say why they take such precautions about it.

Hey everyone, everything is going good so far on my first week. But I haven't learn everything in the learning plan. I've learned about the backroom and stocking items. I took a material hazardous quiz. But theres a lot more in the learning plan like redwire? I think it is. And a whole lot more Should I talk about it with the trainer? Or what?

Redwire? That's more of team lead and above sort of thing.

If you know how to fill the shelves and what do do with what doesn't fit there, that's the gist of flow. I'd go over any concerns you have with you trainer or team lead, but aside from maybe using the baler and some powered equipment, there isn't much more you can be taught. The rest comes from just doing it again and again, in my experience.

Hey everyone, small update. Everything is great, yesterday I was approched, to see if for two weeks I could work doing reshop at electronics, however I did the toys area and at the end I did a couple of DVD reshop. I'm originally a flow member from 630am to 11am. Now I'll be working from 11am to 3pm doing the whole reshop thing. Does this mean I'll be working in two different departments?
Thanks in advance.

Is there a specific name for the position I'll be working on?

I feel like I been doing pretty good, guys. What yall think? So far, now I been scheduled to work in electronics (that's what my schedule says) after I'm done working in flow. Sales floor down, now electronics?! Points! . Should I bring up training for cashier? Is it normal for target to do that to a seasonal flow team member? What you think from experience? I just don't want to get my hopes high that I will be kept permanently.

It can never hurt to be trained anywhere and everywhere. However, you never know what positions and payroll your store has. My store kept no one last year. Just do your best and keep your attitude up and vibe it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back