Archived Seasonal "help"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of hiring a bunch of seasonal people why don't we offer OT to the regular crowd? You'd obviously still need some seasonal employees but not as many and you wouldn't waste time hiring and training them so they can quit their 2nd shift.
My store did that one year when we couldn't hire enough seasonals. The OT was great but after nine weeks, everyone was starting to get burned out.
It also leaves you with a smaller pool of TMs when you have massive call-outs during peak times (last weekend before the holiday) & the ones that have always been undependable are STILL undependable during the holidays.

So if I'm a new hire is it a good sign I got called in to grab an extra shift today, and that I got assigned to an actual department (electronics) instead of just hardlines? Because I'd like to stay on after the holidays.

And none of them, literally none of them, stack their pallets correctly coming off the line. They've got heavy shit on top balanced on light, small boxes, boxes sticking a foot off the sides of the pallets, and everything arranged in Seussian spires so it all comes crashing down whenever I pull them to the floor. I lost it the other day and yelled at all of them during the truck unload. I was not pleased and so I was not pleasant. My ETL backed me up and told them to get their shit together. They've been there for weeks, they should be pros by now.

You guys have seasonal on the line?! That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Nothing has ever been said but I get the impression that no one gets on the line at my store unless they've been there long enough to fully understand the sections of the store and basically already know what the boxes for each section look like (obviously you need to go by the number, but knowing to ignore the box of detergent going down the line if you're pulling market boxes helps!)

We do have one seasonal who got on the line within her first week or so, but she was familiar with the line process from a previous job and was pretty fast. Not so great with the numbers, but her speed was good enough to make up for it.

No food or beverage OR GUM for crying out loud, on stage. Period. Policy. It looks tacky. Half drank pops get left all over the store if we allow it. And especially no drinks at the registers. Last impressions should not be of someone guzzling a drink between orders or perhaps spilling it ON the register.
I don't care how cranky you are without coffee. Drink it before work.

Our store didn't hire enough seasonal help at all. Some of our seasonal help is okay (at least as far as front lanes); I've trained about three or four of them but I still think that a lot of them are clueless... our senior GSTL was disgusted because half of them don't even try talking to guests. Like just ringing up things in silence. I imagine most of them are gone at the end.

Also, slightly odd but rather noteworthy: a girl that I remember training for cashiering *during the summer for seasonal work* is now working Christmas season. She was trained in hardlines and was at the guest service desk yesterday. She told us that this stool that was sitting in go-backs "doesn't have a place on the floor and is back stock". I didn't have the time to tell her because we were so swamped that if it's back stock she's supposed to handle it, not leave it behind our desk... o_O Someone ended up defecting it because it kept getting passed back to guest service for what seemed like more than a week.

No food or beverage OR GUM for crying out loud, on stage. Period. Policy. It looks tacky. Half drank pops get left all over the store if we allow it. And especially no drinks at the registers. Last impressions should not be of someone guzzling a drink between orders or perhaps spilling it ON the register.
I don't care how cranky you are without coffee. Drink it before work.
It could be a potential Steritech hit as well.

I have a drs note to have water on my lane. I have kidney issues and also get dehydrated very easily. I dont drink in front of guests and i keep it hidden and capped. Its either that or an iv.

Our store didn't hire enough seasonal help at all. Some of our seasonal help is okay (at least as far as front lanes); I've trained about three or four of them but I still think that a lot of them are clueless... our senior GSTL was disgusted because half of them don't even try talking to guests. Like just ringing up things in silence. I imagine most of them are gone at the end.

Also, slightly odd but rather noteworthy: a girl that I remember training for cashiering *during the summer for seasonal work* is now working Christmas season. She was trained in hardlines and was at the guest service desk yesterday. She told us that this stool that was sitting in go-backs "doesn't have a place on the floor and is back stock". I didn't have the time to tell her because we were so swamped that if it's back stock she's supposed to handle it, not leave it behind our desk... o_O Someone ended up defecting it because it kept getting passed back to guest service for what seemed like more than a week.

That's always what bugs me the most about working Service Desk. People just seem to think "Well I don't know what to do with it, so I'll drop it off at the Service Desk!" and then they reshop it, and the cycle continues. My favorite is when they drop off their nearly-full boxes of backstock at the service desk and there is nothing that we can do with it. Or when they drop off a cart full of items with no barcodes.

We just hired like 20 seasonals in the last week. They seem okay, but they're scheduling one person to train two people during closing shifts. Needless to say, the store doesn't look great.
I have been having to train all new salesfloor people (2 or 3 at a time) in hardlines, but I'm still scheduled to open or close market/ do all the normal TL stuff. It's been a rough holiday season. >_>

Then the same guy knocked over six pallets of Xmas crap that I had been organizing to be wrapped and stored, then didn't help pick it up. He just said "oops" and walked away. I had to do all my work twice.

At least your guy is knocking over pallets. I was off this weekend and I heard one of our new guys knocked over a little girl when he turned to push an item in P-Fresh. A veteran flow TM immediately apologized to the girl's mother and somehow the guest didn't complain to Guest Service or leadership about it. AFAIK, leadership hasn't been informed of this.

That's always what bugs me the most about working Service Desk. People just seem to think "Well I don't know what to do with it, so I'll drop it off at the Service Desk!" and then they reshop it, and the cycle continues. My favorite is when they drop off their nearly-full boxes of backstock at the service desk and there is nothing that we can do with it. Or when they drop off a cart full of items with no barcodes.
Our STL left a full cart of no barcodes at the service desk just last week. It was all, "just get a mydevice and tag all of these, because they're probably old and salvage by now and we can't do anything with them." My desk buddy LOVED that night.

There's also a growing habit that the service desk gets a tub of pricing that needs to be stickered clearance when they get backed up, by STL's orders, because we have a red printer and that makes us totally more capable and available than others. Sometimes, it's not just the seasonals...

(but it's also the seasonals)

Today with the 50% off Beats headphones deal, a new seasonal hire had a huge eye opener as to exactly what it means to work in electronics. Yes, you do have to help all these guests in both electronics and toys while keeping on top of both pulls and reshop. Be thankful that there are two of us, and know that this week is just the beginning newfriend.

Today with the 50% off Beats headphones deal, a new seasonal hire had a huge eye opener as to exactly what it means to work in electronics. Yes, you do have to help all these guests in both electronics and toys while keeping on top of both pulls and reshop. Be thankful that there are two of us, and know that this week is just the beginning newfriend.
Add to that making sure turkeys are full like I did today. :) I had a PFresh shift today but helped out in Electronics because unfortunately there was only one TM scheduled in there.

Add to that making sure turkeys are full like I did today. :) I had a PFresh shift today but helped out in Electronics because unfortunately there was only one TM scheduled in there.
The world needs more people like you.

We only had one person scheduled in electronics yesterday, but I was doing my reshop in toys/electronics so I kept running over to help him and took over when he finally got to take a break... never did get all my reshop done cause I'm new and super slow at movies still and got pulled to do other reshop.

We only had one person scheduled in electronics yesterday, but I was doing my reshop in toys/electronics so I kept running over to help him and took over when he finally got to take a break... never did get all my reshop done cause I'm new and super slow at movies still and got pulled to do other reshop.
I'm sure he was grateful for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back