Archived Seasonal "help"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time of year is always a toss up on the grid...will they or won't they show? Will I spend the day trying to keep them off their phones or will they actually work?

I shouldn't be this grumpy...we have had some wonderful seasonal people that I hope there will be room for after Christmas. But there are others....

One cashier was 25 minutes late today (didn't call). She was 15 minutes late yesterday. I give our ETL-HR mad props for not strangling her. I'm giving her a 50% chance of making it to Black Friday.

Another cashier...the first time she was on her own, she called in 30 minutes into her shift to say she wouldn't be in. Today (a week and a half later) she just didn't bother coming in at all. They elected not to call her, just to have the NCNS to be done with her.

Of course these were the only seasonal cashiers I had on today.

Keep it up, folks! It will just mean more hours for the rest of us as you get yourself canned or they elect not to schedule you because they can't be sure you'll come in.

I know your pain all too well. Some of our seasonals have been fantastic, but some are just absolute bottom of the barrel. We've had one girl who doesn't know how to count change. AS A CASHIER. One is the nicest lady on earth, but she is also just the slowest human being alive. She had a 0% speed score even after 4 hours. She also seems to just refuse to learn how to use the register, and calls me over constantly for literally the simplest things like ID'ing for alcohol. And that's after I had her shadow my best cashier trainer. When she didn't show improvement after 2 hours of shadowing that trainer, I had the trainer take her aside and walk through everything with her on an unused register. Still nothing. Another is insubordinate and has already been coached for it. Seasonal helps seems to be slim pickin's this year.

0% speed score after 4 hours?! We have some really slow cashiers, but that makes them look like speed queens!

And yes, we've had to train more than one cashier on how to count money...though none this time around, to the best of my knowledge.

We still drug test. Marijuana is legal in our state. We ask over the phone before even interviewing if they are interested in interviewing knowing that a a job offer is contingent on passing a drug test. A lot of our candidates don't pass.

Well...because don't you know? Surely they will beat it!

It's like a drug AND stupidity test. I like it.

Our seasonals are, in general, more of a hindrance than a help. It's obnoxious. And they all train each other terribly. One of the new guys was training this other guy, and when they walked by me, he said that I was new and so shy that no one talked to me. First of all, I've been here far longer than you. Second, just because I don't talk to YOU doesn't mean I don't talk to people.

Ugh, these seasonals make me so angry.

My seasonals beat out the seasoned cashiers 3:1 on redcard apps yesterday... super awkward. "Hey guys, this new cashier just got their SECOND redcard! Meanwhile, uh.... the three old hats here are standing together.... complaining about seasonals and lost hours..."

Today, one of our new GSA's got 5 redcards. He wasn't even on a register, he just got them by talking to people. Clearly, if he can get 5 redcards without even being on a register, we shouldn't be this deep into the red.

Today, one of our new GSA's got 5 redcards. He wasn't even on a register, he just got them by talking to people. Clearly, if he can get 5 redcards without even being on a register, we shouldn't be this deep into the red.

That's awesome for him! But that doesn't look so good for the cashiering team if you all are struggling in general.

Our seasonals are, in general, more of a hindrance than a help. It's obnoxious. And they all train each other terribly. One of the new guys was training this other guy, and when they walked by me, he said that I was new and so shy that no one talked to me. First of all, I've been here far longer than you. Second, just because I don't talk to YOU doesn't mean I don't talk to people.

Ugh, these seasonals make me so angry.

Bitch-slap in 3.....2......

Most of the seasonal sales floor team members I've dealt with seem alright so far. But one of the last regulars we hired (before we started seasonal hiring) has demonstrated, on multiple occasions, a clear inability to Target.

I totally feel that whole "seasonals training seasonals" thing. While I'm seasonal myself, it's a little awkward when the person I'm almost done shadowing [about freakin' time, I've been ready to branch off on my own for a few days now!] tells me after we get our myDevices and walkies that one of the new seasonals is being trained by someone who has only been here around 4 weeks.

Makes me grateful that my shadow/trainer has been there a year as of the other day and knows what she's doing.

I'm starting to think my store interviews for any seasonal position except cashiers. I think we already have four or five termed, and one or two on their way. Sales Floor, though? Seasonals are better than half the people out there, and not because they SF team is bad...

We just hired like 20 seasonals in the last week. They seem okay, but they're scheduling one person to train two people during closing shifts. Needless to say, the store doesn't look great.

I'm starting to think my store interviews for any seasonal position except cashiers. I think we already have four or five termed, and one or two on their way. Sales Floor, though? Seasonals are better than half the people out there, and not because they SF team is bad...

Yes. This. I've noticed the same.

Had a seasonal come and ask me what exactly to do when they call for back up cashiers. I was all like, "oh hey no problem let me show you, better that you ask then not know what to do when you need to do it". Took said person to a register and said, "then you just log on and start cashiering". They said, "um, I don't have a 4-digit pin to go with my TM number." ".......................wat................wat the fu...................LOD can you come over here". Not their fault, but still.

Also, I know I haven't been here for a year yet, but when the seasonal's tell me how to do my job I almost loose it.

...oh man. mega-rant!

Ours have been a mixed bag. I've probably interacted with 10. Of those, 3 are really good and would be genuine assets, 5 are average, and 2 are terrible.

The most annoying example so far: we start unload and I'm on the line. Seasonal team strolls in (they start 30min after we do and are supposed to start pulling skids and stocking market) One of them randomly gets on the line (presumably thinking standing in place would be easier than walking around market hahaha) having no idea what she's doing. On top of not knowing what she's doing she moves slower than anyone I've ever seen.

I was grabbing detergent boxes, walking around the outside of the skids, dropping them on the chemical skid (3-4 down from my main position), and getting back before she even figured out what to do with the tiny HBA box she was holding (HBA skid was literally right behind her)

I can totally understand if people suck on the line for a while- it's overwhelming until you get used to it and learn which boxes to look for- but show some hustle! I was terrible my first few days/weeks on the line, but I had a sense of urgency- I didn't just stand there staring at the boxes like I had no idea what to do!

The crazy part? She keeps trying to sneak back on the line each morning!! I've been so desperate for someone to be added to the line. I have to cover 7 skids entirely on my own, while tag-teaming 2 more skids. NINE skids that I'm having to work. ...and yet that girl is SO bad that I can take care of 7-9 skids faster on my own than with her help!

Thankfully we just got a new seasonal and she's been put on the line twice to cover absences and she's pretty fast and even offered to come in when the line team does...of course or TL said "I'm not sure we have the payroll for that" :( ...really?! It's 30 minutes! I refuse to believe that.

What they really don't have payroll for is that super slow girl opening like 10 boxes an hour and standing in everyone's way. If they'd get rid of her entirely the fast one could come in with the line team and we'd probably finish everything earlier! :rolleyes:

Our only seasonal BRTM this year had been kind of slow to catch on, but he was improving. And then on the first night he was scheduled to close solo, he clocked out at 4:45pm and never came back.

I remember one year we had a mixed bag. One lady who I made sure to go over EVERYTHING after my GSTL asked me to, I was NOT comfortable leaving her alone on register at all... This was one time my GSTL didn't want me leaving my trainee. There has also been Cashiers who wont get off there GD phones or will be eating on register, or they will be drinking starbux or a Soda on register. for the love of G-d people... we are at work and how do you think this BS looks to our guests?!?!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back