Surviving Seasonal Culling?

Hi y’all.

I was just hired for Seasonal Fulfillment, although I applied in September before there was any seasonal hiring. Didn’t hear anything for 3 weeks, so I wrote a nice follow-up email and the same day I got two calls from different HR people wanting me for different departments (work centers?), but by the time I had orientation last Sunday I was in the first “class” of seasonal recruits. Our HR ETL mentioned there will be 110 of us on top of the existing workforce of 430, and she said maybe 25% of us will be retained, and “what we put in is what we’ll get out”.

I guess I’m kinda bummed because I really hoped this could be something permanent. I live a 5 minute walk from my Target and it does seem even after my current 10 hours on the job, it does seem like something I’ll really like. But I’m not really sure what “putting in” here really means. I’m currently “on-demand” and that seems a good fit for me, but would I have a leg up if I were to ask for scheduled hours? Should I work as many shifts as possible? Work graveyard? Will it just be down to computerized performance metrics of efficiency? Should I buy flowers for all my team leaders and flatter them constantly? Volunteer to host pool parties?

How can I get noticed and survive the January culling?

Any advice appreciated.

Become a leader’s favorite, and don’t become anyone’s enemy. Have perfect attendance and answer the phone when the store calls you to offer a shift; even if you can’t take the shift we REALLY appreciate you answering and telling us or calling us back and telling us so we can cross you off the list of people we might be able to add. Oh, and work hard.

Thank you. I can definitely do that… in fact I can probably be “that person” who can always be there in 15 minutes even if they just need me for a couple hours. It it appropriate to offer to people they can just text/call me in a pinch, or is it all through hr

If you put in the effort to do a good job, I think there's a very low chance of you not being retained. Fulfillment is the area that likely has the largest % of people not be retained, simply because it's an area that is hugely impacted by 4th quarter sales volume, but it still shouldn't be particularly hard to stand out and be kept.

Seasonal hires separate themselves each year and it's usually a clear choice who to keep. Attendance (!), work ethic, keep clean/organized and don't leave messes for others. What busyzoningtoys said about calling us back when we ask if you can pick up a shift (whether you can take the shift or not) is big because it shows you're not just showing up for a paycheck, but care about the job and the team. I would also suggest letting your TL/ETL know if you have a day when you're available and looking for work but aren't scheduled. There is more flexibility with schedule/payroll in Q4.

And if you like the job, tell your leaders that you really want to stay.

Welcome! Things to do if you really want to stay:

Show up on time for every shift.
Don‘t punch in until you are ready to start working. Put away your jacket and lunch, or whatever, before hitting the time clock.
Take your breaks and meal periods on time and return on time.
Take your meal period before your fifth or sixth hour depending on your state. Your leaders will tell which time applies to your store. Missing fifth/sixth hour is a serious offense, don’t do it.
Don't call off unless you are really sick, particularly during Thanksgiving/ Black Friday weekend and Christmas week. Store leaders never forget who called off on Black Friday, and they don’t keep it to themselves either.
Come in when they ask you to pick up shifts.
Be available 24/7.
Check your schedule frequently for changes that no one bothered to tell you about. Yes, it can happen…
It goes without saying, but don’t no call/no show. That’s been the kiss of death for many a seasonal hire.

Work hard. Do your best. Give that 110% and hope that your leaders notice your outstanding performance while some of the other seasonals are giving about 10%. Or less…
Be willing to be cross trained and work in any department, even those you hate. It will pay off for you in the end.
Back up the front when called.
If by some miracle you complete your workload (no fault of yours, but some of these workloads would take three people to finish), help out your fellow TMs complete theirs.
Follow instructions from leaders gracefully. Don’t let them know that you would rather have a root canal than work in softlines or wherever. Just grit your teeth and go there with a smile. It won’t be forever.
Don’t take it upon yourself to tell others what to do or how to do it. That’s not the way to make friends and influence people, particularly leaders who will have to deal with the complaints from your co-workers.
Be pleasant to work with. Treat everyone well, guests, co-workers and leaders alike.
Be positive and co-operative, but don’t kiss up, and, please, no gifts. Leaders are not supposed to accept them and they just lead to awkward situations and sometimes hard feelings.

Follow the rules, all of them, no matter how petty or stupid they seem, and a lot of them are both.
Particularly follow the rules regarding use of the employee discount and methods of payment.
Never forget that Spot has cameras everywhere and AP misses nothing in the long run.
Don’t get caught on your phone when you should be working, and the only way to not get caught is to not do it. At all. Ever.
Abide by the dress code.
Wear your name badge.
Don’t complain about anything, ever.
Be positive and upbeat at all times, even when you would like to make a quick trip outside to scream.
Don’t start or get involved in drama. There are few things Spot leaders hate more than drama or troublemakers.
Your opinions are your own, but its often safer not to share them.
You may think your boss is an idiot, and they may well be, but don’t let them in on the secret that you know it.😂
Sexual harassment should be reported immediately, and report theft if you see it, but don’t tattle about minor things, leaders find that annoying and it won’t help you.

Always remember Target’s purpose: to relieve guests of their money in the fastest and most efficient (😂🙄) way possible. The guest is the reason everyone at Spot has a job, so treat them well. The customer (and never say the word “customer“, it tends to upset Target folks) is not always right, Heaven knows, but they must be treated like they are. Headache and upset stomach remedies can be found in the OTC section. After dealing with some of the guests you may need them both. Same goes for dealing with some of the leaders.

You may spend a lot of time biting your tongue and gritting your teeth, but following this list should put you at the top of the list of seasonals to be retained, although by January you may wonder if you really want to stay. Good Luck!😁

Don't be afraid to ask questions and take advantage of the experience of those who have been there a while to learn their best tips & tricks.

One thing I tell our fulfillment TMs is to learn how to use the location info when picking an order. They all go by the picture on their screen, which works much of the time. But the picture isn't always accurate.

A fulfillment TM came up to me today because he couldn't find a certain vitamin. It was in exactly the right location, but the picture was different. (The bottle inside the box was shown, not the box. So he was looking for a bottle and not finding it.) Had he bothered to just use the location info, he would have found easily because it was right where it was supposed to be.

Also, a lot of items look really similar and guests sometimes put things back in the wrong places. If you are in the right place and scan the first item on the shelf but it's incorrect, notice if the one behind it is the same.

I will say you availability is also a big factor when they make the decision to keep you as well. If your availability isn't what is need for when hours get real tight then there is no chance they will keep you
I agree. If you refuse nights and/or weekends, or worse, call in every Friday night or Weekend shift, then you’re working yourself right out the door.

From my experience as a dbo and a picker at least once a day, here's my advice:
Don't INF without talking to Etls
If you can't find the items communicate to dbo then to tls because we flex so much during holidays
Don't spend 2 hours on a batch, speed is what they're looking for. In my store my sd wants no more than 5 minutes per dpci
Don't put your cart on paused if you can't find half of your batch cause nobody wants to take over your cart if there is lot of INFs
Always start with backroom first because if you grab items from the floor, you will add more to 1 for 1, that means more work for floor people
We all busy during holidays so when you come to the tls from that department you better got all your answer ready: when did we received the items, last time sold, last time pulled, how many on hand... This will save you the grief
Good luck to you

If you show up to your shifts on time, don't call out, and have a decent attitude, then you will have a good chance of being kept.

Being an early sfs hire can be an advantage. Every year we seem to have one or two early hires who are really good and end up helping train later seasonal hires.
We kept 9 from our seasonal fulfillment people from last year and most were from those first seasonal hires. ASANTS, but getting in first has its advantages to staying.

My advice never call out!! The only exception being Covid!! Try not to say no. Examples: can you stay later? Yes can you come in early? Yes? Can you cashier for little while someone called out? Yes? Can you go fold clothes in style? Yes can you help grab a few carts in the lot? Yes. Never ever be late try to clock in 5 minutes early every shift if possible.Lastly always answer you phone on your day off or call them back.

Can you come in early: I was going to anyway
Can you stay later: I was going to anyway
Can you fold clothes: Sorry I only fold bennies
Can you grab carts: Only if they’re THC oil carts
Can you cashier: *collapses of respiratory failure and tests positive for the rona*

Last edited:
Don't INF without talking to Etls
Um, if a seasonal fulfillment TM bothered most of the ETLs I know about INFs, they’d likely be considered annoying and end up not lasting past Q4.

How about, “don’t INF without talking to the fulfillment TL/a leader/whoever the fulfillment TL trusts with INFs like the pacesetter”.

Back