Archived Seasonal hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I was just hired on this week as a seasonal hire. I was wondering if anyone could give me information on it. I was told at the interview not to worry about not having a job in few months (who wouldn't) and that they really need people that will actually show up and work their shift, they kept stressing the showing up part. I currently have a job I'm looking to leave, I didn't know this was seasonal until the end of the interview. Is it hard to stay on as a permanent employee? I don't want to leave the job I absolutely hate just to be out of work in a couple months.

Got it. Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think I'll decline. I only know one person who did seasonal and was offered the job after who told me it was easy to stay on long as you worked your butt off and showed up but when seasons are over my local Target is a ghost town (employee wise)

Even if Spot kept you on, the chance of getting enough hours to make the job worthwhile is pretty slim for most of the year. Target is o.k. as a second job to supplement your income, but not consistent enough to make a living.

Last year our SD insisted that EVERY applicant be classified as seasonal so that it was easier to get them out if they weren’t so great. Had some really good tm hires as seasonal and they were retained, the not so great ones were told: thanks, bye, you were a seasonal hire so we don’t need you anymore. We didn’t let ANY really good ones go, but once hours dropped some of them chose to leave.

We often keep at least a few seasonal hires on - I started as seasonal myself. But it's retail and hours can be dicey. This isn't the kind of job where you can depend on getting a certain number of hours every week.

I'm sure we will keep our good seasonals. We lost a few regulars before we hired this batch. Xmas is right around the corner so there will be plenty of hours coming. Jan-March the hours really suck though.

We also keep our great seasonal hires, last year we kept 14 out of what started at 48 and dwindled to 34 by Christmas. Also, it’s too early to bring anyone on as seasonal. Our group has let us know when we can begin seasonal hires and it’s not for quite a few weeks, we aren’t hiring any until October. I suggest asking if it’s for a seasonal position or regular employment the next time you talk to HR.

They told me at the end of the interview it was seasonal. And I questioned it because I had chose part time not seasonal they said yes and had me look at a bunch of dates for August to make sure I can work those days. The interview was in hr office and I seen a board with names stating who was interviewed who was waiting on background who was offered and position and who was hired. It looked to be at least 20 to 30 that were hired.

Hey, I started as a seasonal last year. Was told by multiple TMs that very few seasonals are ever kept. HR even told me at orientation that all new hires, if they are kept, always get the lowest review their first year and no raise. I'm still here. I got the top review and the maximum raise amount (not that it matters with the base pay increase). I was transfered to a different work center than what I was hired for and I now have a set schedule of 37.5 hours a week, but usually end up at 39 when it's all said and done.

So, don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't make it or that as a seasonal you aren't going to be kept or given hours. Work hard. Do your job right. You never know what to expect. If you're good, your store will go out of it's way to keep you and give you hours.

We also keep our great seasonal hires, last year we kept 14 out of what started at 48 and dwindled to 34 by Christmas. Also, it’s too early to bring anyone on as seasonal. Our group has let us know when we can begin seasonal hires and it’s not for quite a few weeks, we aren’t hiring any until October. I suggest asking if it’s for a seasonal position or regular employment the next time you talk to HR.

Our store has been hiring "summer seasonals". Some have been there about a month already. I think it is a great way to weed out the not so great ones.

I was also a seasonal last Xmas. I was let go and then rehired a several weeks later. Very few of the Xmas ones are kept. I think your chances are probably much better with the summer lot.

Even if you are a super great worker there is always the possibility that spot won’t keep you due to business needs so you could do everything right and still end up without a job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back