Seasonal position question

Hello everyone! so I passed my 90 days working at target and my team leaders said in my performance evaluation that I was doing an amazing job and was really proud of my performance. They said I am working great towards keeping my seasonal position to a permanent position. They only thing is is that they told me that they CANNOT promise me that I will get the permanent position because they told me its all about availability. I need some help like do I need to increase my availability? If so what are some good available days do target looks at?

What's your current position and what's your availability? Target generally likes open availability, but they'll work with you if your availability meets the store's needs. Since you have been told "it's all about availability," then likely you are being told to open your's up if you want to stay.

Saying that “it’s all about availability “ is them low-key telling you that you need to open up yours. Spot likes open availability, but if you can’t do that, being available for weekends and nights should help. If there are shifts that your store has difficulty filling, being available at those times will give you a good chance of staying. Good luck!

When the end of December comes, ask your ETL or HR what availability they are looking for. I was cut in Jan after my seasonal so when March rolled around, I got called back. My availability wasn't quite enough. It turned out that they were desperate for people on Mondays and Thursdays.

First, they said they can't promise you a permanent position because they don't want to box themselves in. They will compare you to the other seasonals that are being hired right now. You may be doing an amazing job but if there are a few new seasonals that do an even better job, you would be cut based on their performance.

Second, they probably don't want you to coast or ease up. If you know you are permanent, you might not try as hard. It is way easier to lay off a seasonal then fire a permanent.

Third, they probably don't want to open up the idea of seasonals being made permanent during November and December. If people found out you were made permanent, they would have every seasonal that wants to be permanent asking and inquiring about their status. It is easier just to make those decisions right after Christmas and inform everyone then.

Fourth, make your availability as open as you can without it affecting the important things in your life. For example, if you go to school, don't say you are available for any time that compromises your education.

If Target doesn't want to keep you, go find another company that will respect the job you do and appreciate your performance.

Back