Archived Seasonals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a seasonal just in time hire last year right before Thanksgiving. Within 3 weeks of hire my ETL told me I was staying on after Christmas. Most of us who were staying knew by Christmas, but obviously it varies from store to store.

We’re actually pretty professional about keeping/ letting people go. Usually the days after christmas, they take people one on one to starbucks/ tsc and tell them thank you, but we are moving on. feel free to apply again.

last year they forgot to tell one cashier she was staying on. i trained her and was good work friends with her and i ended up saying “i’m glad they kept you!” and she was like !!!?

they told me a few years ago just by pulling me off lanes real quick, telling me they liked me/ other compliments and that they were making the new schedule without seasonals and would love to put me on it if i was interested in staying. very casual, but nice.

So out of curiosity, how do they let the seasonals know if they have the opportunity to stay or if they will be let go? Do we get called into HR one by one? Do they ask everyone if they want to stay? Is there another interview process?
I’m trying to prepare either way.
Also should I make it known now that I’d like to stay? Should I tell HR? ETL? Or just see if they offer to keep me?
I’m so nervous about it. 😖
They’ll walk you over to the offices in HR and inform you that you’re being let go because they simply cannot afford to keep you.

My store the TL would go to everyone of the seasonal and tell them in person when were doing the wave after the truck

I am a seasonal who wants to stay past the holidays. I am super reliable. Age 63, so I am diversity too. I am good at chatting with customers, not super fast, but I like the job, which is cashiering. I could be switched to HR, I have an extensive background in that.

I don't know how it is on my store. I picture a meeding between the Team Leaders, where they mention all the seasonals and do a vote like in Mockingjay.

You are too old for Spot and they'd love to see you go. If not now, later. Don't expect any extended cross-training.

By now, for me, the sloths are already gone.

Does anyone have any info for what week Seasonals usually stop being scheduled? I have a friend who’s seasonal and he hasn’t been asked to stay (nor has he really expressed an interest too), but he’s still on the schedule as late as January 5th.. normal?

Probably on the next 1-2 schedules that are written. So by the week of the 13th.

My last shift was 12-30..It on Sunday, no Hr around to asked. Not schedule for any shift after. Hired on 10-13.No one say anything to me. What should i do? Do i need to return the nameless name tag and member discount card to the store ? Thanks for help.

And if come back for next season do i have to re apply and go through interview like a new one.

My last shift was 12-30..It on Sunday, no Hr around to asked. Not schedule for any shift after. Hired on 10-13.No one say anything to me. What should i do? Do i need to return the nameless name tag and member discount card to the store ? Thanks for help.
Keep checking the schedule to see if they give you hours on the next one. Hours are short at this time of year, but someone should have told you if you were let go. You can ask your TL or HR about your status, but until they tell you that you are let go, keep checking the schedule so you don’t get in trouble for no call/ no show. Good Luck!

My store's ETL HR let the bad ones know they were terminated and/or not scheduled them. The good ones are included in huddles where they are introduced as "the official new team members".
Easy enough.

It’s fairly easy to know who isn’t staying: you look at the very back for the names of everyone who is not being scheduled bc of vacation, LOA or quit/fired/let go. Our list is 2 pages long.

It’s fairly easy to know who isn’t staying: you look at the very back for the names of everyone who is not being scheduled bc of vacation, LOA or quit/fired/let go. Our list is 2 pages long.

Why do they put some on vacation? My schedule online shows unpaid vacation for the whole week which I didn't put in for. I won't see the paper schedule until tomorrow. I guess that's the end of the line for me.

Final decisions should have definitely been made by now. If you were not told then maybe they just missed you as classified as seasonal or someone dropped the ball in talking to you about staying/going. Ask : HR, ETL, even your TL, they all should know. If you were not kept, then yes, you need to reapply: usually ready to hire permanents again in April (after tm are disappointed in their reviews and decide to leave) And of course in October for another group of Seasonals.

I was never late, never called out, came in and stayed late when needed. The only thing I can think of that's a negative for me is I have a fear of heights and sometimes need help getting heavy items on top shelf in backroom. And I didn't want to learn using the Wave because of this fear and because the backroom is a mess.

A group decision was made. Many people had input. You were compared against the other seasonals. There are very few openings, you either were the best fit for said opening or someone else was. Because there are not enough hours going forward to keep ALL seasonal hires, choices need to be made based on the NEEDS of the store. If the store is fully staffed in all teams except back room and you cannot climb a ladder then there is no position available for you. Just like if there was only cashier positions open and you couldn’t count change, sorry if someone else was a better fit. You may have been a very good tm BUT if there are no openings available then that is why you were hired as seasonal because your position is no longer needed and there is no other. Re-apply in April if you like, when positions open up Because people quit due to lack of hours/new expectations/position shifts/disappointment in reviews.

So many people at my store seemed confused by the term "seasonal". They thought if they expressed interest in becoming permanent, it would happen. Or they weren't aware that they were being hired as a seasonal. I don't understand how you could think differently but many of our cashiers were surprised to learn they'd been canned.

I haven't been told yet whether im being kept or not but im on the next schedule. My ETL started pulling the seasonals in softlines to his office and none of them are being kept. A couple of days ago a different ETL approached me and asked if i could come in the next day and work grocery even though I've only ever done softlines

If you were hired for SFS, odds are good you won't be sticking around. At my store, at least, they hire dozens of SFS seasonals, but almost all get let go because there just aren't nearly as many orders to be fulfilled. This week SFS was basically doing hardlines, but I don't know when that will end (I assume soon).

I was hired as a seasonal during first week of October . I’m still on schedule with average of 25-30 hours. Even in slow days they are asking some TMs not to come but not to me. Does that mean they would keep me? My STL said in last huddle that next week they are letting go many of the seasonals. Many are getting as low as 4.5hrs/week.But nobody told anything to me. Maybe I ll just ask someone next time.

If you were hired for SFS, odds are good you won't be sticking around. At my store, at least, they hire dozens of SFS seasonals, but almost all get let go because there just aren't nearly as many orders to be fulfilled. This week SFS was basically doing hardlines, but I don't know when that will end (I assume soon).

We kept a few SFS for other workcenters because they were good employees. We also let go of some because they are idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back