Archived Self Check Out Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGSTLman

FBTL
Hi all - just looking for a bit of advice. A lot of our cashiers are trained over in SCO, but they don't relish a long portion of their shift up there simply because, in their words, it can get boring and there's a lot of standing around. We have expressed to them the importance of a TM over there due to its high volume of shortage that comes from it, and given them some other tasks that keep them in proximity of SCO but so they're not just standing there.

Does anyone have anything special they have their SCO TM do while they are watching? Silly question I know but I'll take any advice......

When I was GSA I used to have them (when it was slow) zone savor spot or fold in softlines, but that depends on your store layout. Or RTW is right across from SCO. During the busy times I would make sure they were Vibing with guests and kind of speed weaving them out. Also pulling guests into self check out to help out the front. Just keeping them active around it. But other than its better to keep them close to prevent theft.

Hint: The tables have wheels.

My ETL-Softlines used to wheel RTW tables over to the front end for unoccupied TMs to fold during his LOD shifts. If the self check-out cashier is really that bored, give them a table to fold. Then they'll regret complaining.
Yes. My store too.

Hi all - just looking for a bit of advice. A lot of our cashiers are trained over in SCO, but they don't relish a long portion of their shift up there simply because, in their words, it can get boring and there's a lot of standing around. We have expressed to them the importance of a TM over there due to its high volume of shortage that comes from it, and given them some other tasks that keep them in proximity of SCO but so they're not just standing there.

Does anyone have anything special they have their SCO TM do while they are watching? Silly question I know but I'll take any advice......

Instead of standing around, what they should be doing is trying to grab guests who are in line from other lanes who have very few items and asking if they want them to use SCO instead. Also, we usually rotate SCO TM's every couple of hours or so since almost all of the cashiers worth their salt are trained there. We also ask them to keep the SCO area clean of baskets, reshop, and trash.

Instead of standing around, what they should be doing is trying to grab guests who are in line from other lanes who have very few items and asking if they want them to use SCO instead. Also, we usually rotate SCO TM's every couple of hours or so since almost all of the cashiers worth their salt are trained there. We also ask them to keep the SCO area clean of baskets, reshop, and trash.
All of this. And our sco tm is also expected to get redcards as well. They have to talk to all guests about the redcard. We can typically get 2-4 red cards a day from sco.

Thanks for all of the suggestions - I actually have my SCO TM do a lot of those already. @Firefox - We're pretty busy at Self Check on a daily basis. It's used frequently, and frankly is always malfunctioning causing our TM to consistently help guests (which is why I don't understand why they think it's boring).

That is just fair as well.. Ours are manned by two cashiers who are on super light duty due to medical issues. Not at the same time but for their shifts.

I used to spend entire 8 hour shifts at SCO back when I was a cashier. I kept myself busy by making sure everything was cleaned, speed weaving, helping guests use SCO, zone surrounding candy and checklane end caps. The cart well is also nearby so I would fix up the carts too. I also tried to prevent any potential problems that I thought might happen. If a guest has a 24 pack of soda or a large bag of dog food in their cart I tell them about the hand scanner and tell them they don't have to lift the heavy item on to the scale. If I saw a guest on Cartwheel I would explain how cartwheel works on SCO. I was constantly cleaning up stray bags, hand baskets, and trash left by guests. Putting away reshop left in the area. Replenishing coupon paper and receipt paper as needed. Politely asking guests with clothing to remove the hangers and place them in the bin. Helping guests ring up produce and bakery items. Reminding them to take their receipt and/or change. I tried to tell every guest to have a nice day as they were leaving SCO. There's plenty to do to keep busy if you look for every opportunity and try to stay productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back