Call Out Accountability

I'd sure like to see those who consistently show up for every shift get their maximum hours along with desired shifts and any and all hour cuts go to those who call in. Just a little "thank you for actually honoring your commitment" to those who do.
I actually do that . And always make sure their vacations gets approved first .
You can’t call out and then request vacation and expect to get it 😂

My only advice as a non-TL: don't make people feel like they're being punished for showing up (e.g. reprimanding your TMs when they cannot complete a workload meant for four times as many people) and expect them to keep showing up. Even when I'm not sick, some days I wake up feeling less-than-excellent and unable to perform at level 11 for an entire shift. If I come to work anyway, don't make me regret it.

My only advice as a non-TL: don't make people feel like they're being punished for showing up (e.g. reprimanding your TMs when they cannot complete a workload meant for four times as many people) and expect them to keep showing up. Even when I'm not sick, some days I wake up feeling less-than-excellent and unable to perform at level 11 for an entire shift. If I come to work anyway, don't make me regret it.
I agree . Show gratitude for showing up

I m a "global" TM...yeah I ll throw the truck if you need me to. Been there done it all. Now, if I m out sick 1 day in a month, and only worked a couple days in that days department..I ll have that TL pull me aside and tell me I m only 20% reliable in their department. How grateful can 1 company be for an employee who can work anywhere they need...to sh$% on them like that. Ready to walk.

Depends on the state they can only use certain amount of hours in a year . If sick wasn’t used when op goes to hr is on .
Yes tm Can use sick hour later on if they didn’t do it the week they call out , but if you are me and you catch them before they use it sucks for them .
TMs have 72 hours from the date of their return to use their sick time. If you catch them before the 72 hours, they can still input their sick time and make their absence excused and in effect, you can’t enter the pdd. It’s a Target policy. I’m an ETL HR and I catch ETLs and TLs doing that all the time and I don’t approve their CA’s because of that. You have to give the team time to submit.

Attachments

• IMG_7601.jpeg
    IMG_7601.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
A fellow TM had his Time Off "auto denied" because our HR-ETL was too lazy to deny or approve even though it was submitted weeks ago.

This TM complained to the SD and she said just post the shifts and see if anyone takes them.

He said he would that but will call out for the shifts that aren't picked up.

He is a good worker and he might walk if he gets wrote up.

A fellow TM had his Time Off "auto denied" because our HR-ETL was too lazy to deny or approve even though it was submitted weeks ago.

This TM complained to the SD and she said just post the shifts and see if anyone takes them.

He said he would that but will call out for the shifts that aren't picked up.

He is a good worker and he might walk if he gets wrote up.

And would have every reason to.
So much of the time people aren't quitting bad jobs as they are quitting bad managers.

TMs have 72 hours from the date of their return to use their sick time. If you catch them before the 72 hours, they can still input their sick time and make their absence excused and in effect, you can’t enter the pdd. It’s a Target policy. I’m an ETL HR and I catch ETLs and TLs doing that all the time and I don’t approve their CA’s because of that. You have to give the team time to submit.
I always have a Seek to Understand before putting any documentation into Workday to allow the TM to explain themselves or their situation. However I make it very clear the expectations and that they will be held accountable for all shifts in which they were scheduled to work. I will not work with a team member that does not properly communicate, find coverage, and affects the team and guest by calling out when it’s convenient for them.

I always have a Seek to Understand before putting any documentation into Workday to allow the TM to explain themselves or their situation. However I make it very clear the expectations and that they will be held accountable for all shifts in which they were scheduled to work. I will not work with a team member that does not properly communicate, find coverage, and affects the team and guest by calling out when it’s convenient for them.
That’s great you set clear expectations, however you still need to do it within Target policy, follow local and state labor laws, etc.

And would have every reason to.
So much of the time people aren't quitting bad jobs as they are quitting bad managers.
I actually put in a time off request Sunday and it was approved the NEXT DAY.

Whether it was related to my previous post is up to debate.

Two of those three days off were for a memorial service in a few weeks but one was for something else.

Those three days weren't consecutive either.

At my store team members have gotten too comfortable with some past leadership that was very lenient on attendance issues.

Since then the store director and ETL HR have been replaced and we are really cracking down on it. HR manages an email thread with the team leaders of attendance conversations that need to happen. We have been PDD’ing these for a while now and as a store have drastically reduced the number of attendance conversations. My store was one of the highest in the district for attendance.

For call outs they basically start as a seek to understand conversation but what things are other leaders looking for to elevate these to PDDs. My team loves to use the “I was sick” excuse. Are you excusing these at all or requiring they use sick time to cover the absence.

My team is expected to post shifts and get them covered or ask for the time off with enough notice. I don’t tolerate call outs as it impacts the guest and puts increased workload on the team.

Any pointers on how I can still be fair to the team member but also hold them accountable to ensure the needs of the business are being met.
The key in any kind of leadership context is consistency. If you excuse it for one person, you have to excuse it for everybody. Otherwise, you'll get allegations of favoritism and unfairness. It sounds harsh and cruel, but in other situations where I've been in a leadership role (Amazon) we would give out a certain amount of unpaid time off every quarter, intended to cover unexpected absences, and in exchange, no absence is whatsoever would be excused. You can manage your own time, and those who cannot are simply let go.

At my store they are so afraid that they can't replace a TM that there is no accountability for excessive call-outs or lateness.

By not doing that it causes the good workers to leave.
Penny wise pound foolish. If you can't retain TMs, pay review should sort that out.

That’s great you set clear expectations, however you still need to do it within Target policy, follow local and state labor laws, etc.
Right. That’s why all things go through HR. Nothing reaches the TM without that partnership. Everything is being documented regardless. Target is by far one of the most lenient companies I’ve ever seen when it comes to accountability.

Target is by far one of the most lenient companies I’ve ever seen when it comes to accountability.
Which does no one, including Target itself, any favors. Accountability doesn't have mean dictatorship-by-ogre. In fact, it shouldn't if what's desired is a solid roster of quality TMs.
About the only rules at my store that are consistently enforced are related to safety, and that's probably more because there are federal and state laws about it and potentially large financial repercussions if those rules are broken and a serious accident occurs.
Other than that, seems like it's whatever you want to do: show up late or call off frequently, listen to music on your phone while on the sales floor even when the store is open, wear non-Target brand logo shirts - it's all perfectly fine.

Which does no one, including Target itself, any favors. Accountability doesn't have mean dictatorship-by-ogre. In fact, it shouldn't if what's desired is a solid roster of quality TMs.
About the only rules at my store that are consistently enforced are related to safety, and that's probably more because there are federal and state laws about it and potentially large financial repercussions if those rules are broken and a serious accident occurs.
Other than that, seems like it's whatever you want to do: show up late or call off frequently, listen to music on your phone while on the sales floor even when the store is open, wear non-Target brand logo shirts - it's all perfectly fine.
About the only rules at my store that are consistently enforced are related to safety,

I wish this was true at my store in that they let everyone use the powered equipment without any certification.

I told them I will use that equipment if you show me AND get me proof that I am certified.

I have seen industrial accidents and know if I get hurt (or someone else) from using powered equipment without certification my workman's comp could be denied.

About the only rules at my store that are consistently enforced are related to safety,

I wish this was true at my store in that they let everyone use the powered equipment without any certification.

I told them I will use that equipment if you show me AND get me proof that I am certified.

I have seen industrial accidents and know if I get hurt (or someone else) from using powered equipment without certification my workman's comp could be denied.
Not sure how strict my store is with this, usually. But I know they certainly weren't strict with it in regards to me personally. I worked at my store twice, the first time I was certified to use the cart pusher and WAV. I am now as well, but I wasn't for the first 1-2 years of my second time working here. They...didn't seem to care. They regularly asked me to go out and get carts without caring if I was certified because I mentioned knowing how to use the cart pusher. Similarly I recall asking a TL if he could get me an item with the WAV, and his response was, "Do you know how to use the WAV?" I responded, "Yes, but I'm no longer certified to do so." to which he responded "That wasn't what I asked." and then tossed me his keys. It was shortly after that that I asked the Closing TL to actually formally certify me again to use both machines so I couldn't potentially get in trouble for doing so later on down the line.

I also remember asking the ETL-LOG years ago if he knew where a ladder was because I couldn't reach an item that was in the steel in the backroom. He proceeded to climb the steel to grab it. I said, "I could have done that, but I figured you'd tell me off if you saw me do so.". His response was that if I didn't get injured, it didn't happen, but that if I did get injured he'd be forced to document it.

I also remember asking the ETL-LOG years ago if he knew where a ladder was because I couldn't reach an item that was in the steel in the backroom. He proceeded to climb the steel to grab it. I said, "I could have done that, but I figured you'd tell me off if you saw me do so.". His response was that if I didn't get injured, it didn't happen, but that if I did get injured he'd be forced to
A perfect example of Target’s 11th Commandment: ”Thou shalt not get caught”…

Back