Sending consumer cellulars to a different store

What are the opinions on this, now that it seems Market Source is mostly gone and each store is supposed to handle their own phone stuff. I work in tech, at my store we've been Plus Mobile for a few years now, so we're competent at CC activations and the like. I've been losing at least a couple hours a week lately from guests redirected to us from nearby stores who say they're not trained on it.

I was especially cheesed today when we got 3 separate guests from other stores come in for CC, while we were dealing with two trucks freight-wise (15 repacks for me personally). I guess my question is, "We don't know how to do Consumer Cellular, go to some other Target,"... is that a valid excuse or no?

Last edited:

Ah, I guess I should've clarified... I'm in a metro area, there's really no "small stores" nearby. The stores I'm referring to that are sending CC's our way, are Super Targets. Ones recently bereft of Market Source. I'm sure their sales figures, payroll, etc. are all higher than my store. And you'd hope (at least, I'd hope) that they would have the resources to train 3 or 4 people and not pawn it off on the next store down the road.

And when I say "train," I mean, learn how to login to the kiosk, learn how to swap out a sim card and... that's it, really. The rest of it is just being able to tolerate some old codger burn your ears for hours at a time.

Last edited:
We still have marketsource, and they are very competent, but on the rare day they need to leave early or they have a no show, their lead let's us know to that he's already made arrangements to send guests over to the target store 5 minutes away where they have a market source rep. And since our electronics departmemt can't do any phone activation at all. Yea guests get angry but meh what can you do.. sorry you've been nominated as "that store with competent techs"

@Hardlinesmaster and anyone else...I am Specialty Sales TL at a low volume store. We never had marketsource and so we always run into issues of mostly consumer cellular guests wanting activation as well as other issues that frankly my tech team is not trained on.

Now I find out that consumer is no longer at local-larger stores and do what do we tell our guests? I would love for my team to help them out but if no training what is targets direction? Are we to work on their phones or not? I see conflicting info on these posts and I see an update on workbench about ATT reps and that they don’t even touch phones, so why would we?

Gotcha. Well I wish we were getting an ATT rep but we are not on store list so it’s just us. We try to help them but wanted to know what best practice was for stores with no reps and limited resources from TGT on how those stores are to service guests.

Gotcha. Well I wish we were getting an ATT rep but we are not on store list so it’s just us. We try to help them but wanted to know what best practice was for stores with no reps and limited resources from TGT on how those stores are to service guests.
Show them, you willing to help them with new sign ups & myStore app, they will say sure... thanks @Mikuhl for the myStore app.

I’m a tech TM at a smaller store with no plus mobile. I have full leadership backup on not activating/troubleshooting guests phones. If it’s a very simple fix like switching the SIM card or restarting the phone I will do it but beyond that I send the guest to another store that has plus mobile or tell them to call CC themselves.

Thanks for the input!! It’s hard to get info coming into a new district and low volume store. We have a jewelry boat lol so it’s like a blast from the last being here. I just want to do right by our guests because they come first. But also want support from leadership on whether to go down that wormhole of doing more with phones or keeping it simple like you said so that we can also focus on truck/daily routines.

Back