Archived Sense of urgency

Status
Not open for further replies.
You get to work. Your pog/pricing team lead gives you a 10 hour pog. Well, even though you are there only 8 hours, 6am - 2:30pm, you think it's doable. High hopes!

Huddle at 8. 20 minutes gone.

Freshness Friday. Another twenty minutes.

Break time. 15 minutes.

Then right after break, 4x4's. Yikes, that just lasted 1 hour.

Get called up to backup cashier 3 times today. Another 35 minutes.

Then at noon, you hear from the backroom that they can't do our pulls. 15 minutes pulling your product.

Break time. 15 minutes.

After all this, you've lost 2 hours and 50 minutes. And when you leave, the pog isn't nearly done.

The next day, you're asked ... Why didn't you get finished? You need to work with more urgency.

Yeah right.

I actually cared about it my first monthish on poggy, once i saw this same crap everyday I gave up. I can only do the best i can with what i have, they havent fired me yet after almost a year on the team so the hell with it :p

Oh, I've been on the pog team for years. But I've never been this far behind. Never. We are almost a week behind. And the etl will say to us ... What can we do to make you successful? I'm like ... More time. Uh, can't do that. Well then, looks like we'll continue to be behind.

We got a new ETL who's fresh out of college and wants our huddles to be at least 25 minutes.
  • 5 minutes for safety recognition
  • 5 minutes for vibe recognition
  • 5 minutes for target news
  • 5 minutes for cartwheel deals
  • 5 minutes for redcard BS
Then 30-40 minutes pushing product on truck days because no one on flow stays on for longer than a week....

On non truck days, we 4x4 for 30 minutes, usually 2 aisles per person, which is then inspected and signed off by the LOD.

Presentation works with the utmost urgency, but we never finish our full workload. Kinda makes you feel bad, but you just have to do the best with what you have.

My STL will tell off the ETL who ran the huddle if it takes longer than 15 minutes. This ETL must not know how much people despise huddles (except the food, of course)

That's funny, one of my team leads uses that phrase all the time. "Work with a sense of urgency".

Yeah its wonderful our plano tl will give you a 10hr or more pog and then say we need to make time.

A sense of urgency is the most misused term in retail.
It certainly has a place when it comes to situations describing people who are wandering around like headless chickens or half asleep bingers just off a week long drunk.

But to use it on people who have been multitasking like crazy people and trying to complete their work with constant interruptions is cruel and out of line.
No matter how fast you work, completing the task properly is the goal not doing it a half-assed fashion, so that sense of urgency can only take you so far.

I always find it funny that those "leaders" who use the phrase work with a sense of urgency ....wouldn't know what urgency was even if it bit them in the ass.

YES. I once waited on the keys for the electronics alarms for AN HOUR AND A HALF. I radioed the LOD and said, the alarm is going off, I need the keys, and the LOD walked past the department several times, when I asked again each time, and still they didn't take 5 minutes and get me the keys so I could shut the damn thing off. Later that shift, they said "you need to be finishing this zone faster"
tumblr_mdg72sKsdL1qef2y7.gif~c200

A sense of urgency is the most misused term in retail.
It certainly has a place when it comes to situations describing people who are wandering around like headless chickens or half asleep bingers just off a week long drunk.

But to use it on people who have been multitasking like crazy people and trying to complete their work with constant interruptions is cruel and out of line.
No matter how fast you work, completing the task properly is the goal not doing it a half-assed fashion, so that sense of urgency can only take you so far.
We have a srtl in our building who uses the "work with a sense of urgency " all the time . Then he will go around the corner and stand and talk to a couple of the new guys...for 30 minutes about football, working out etc etc. So this means not only is he not working...he is allowing the new guys to stand there and do nothing as well. Then he will make lil comments like ...we have to get this bs done today...really? cause I am doing all that I can do...go tell it to your buddies...or better yet ...lead my example.

My team works with a sense of urgency however nobody else in my store thinks they do because we are so behind. We are behind because we did 4x4's for a month until they realized what a mistake that was. I got most of the Pog's caught up on my own without adding hours. Great. However, nobody said great job. I spend most of my day fighting for my team and sticking up for them. I totally get their frustrations with everything and I don't blame them. I don't give them single Pog's, I have them work together if its a going to take longer then the time that they work. There is nothing more I hate then leaving something half done so if I have to have all 4 of them set an aisle together then that's what we will do.

My team works with a sense of urgency however nobody else in my store thinks they do because we are so behind. We are behind because we did 4x4's for a month until they realized what a mistake that was. I got most of the Pog's caught up on my own without adding hours. Great. However, nobody said great job. I spend most of my day fighting for my team and sticking up for them. I totally get their frustrations with everything and I don't blame them. I don't give them single Pog's, I have them work together if its a going to take longer then the time that they work. There is nothing more I hate then leaving something half done so if I have to have all 4 of them set an aisle together then that's what we will do.
@UnderpaidOverworked

I always find it funny that those "leaders" who use the phrase work with a sense of urgency ....wouldn't know what urgency was even if it bit them in the ass.
I always imagine myself holding a stopwatch in my hand while my LOD is zoning HBA.

You get to work. Your pog/pricing team lead gives you a 10 hour pog. Well, even though you are there only 8 hours, 6am - 2:30pm, you think it's doable. High hopes!

Huddle at 8. 20 minutes gone.

Freshness Friday. Another twenty minutes.

Break time. 15 minutes.

Then right after break, 4x4's. Yikes, that just lasted 1 hour.

Get called up to backup cashier 3 times today. Another 35 minutes.

Then at noon, you hear from the backroom that they can't do our pulls. 15 minutes pulling your product.

Break time. 15 minutes.

After all this, you've lost 2 hours and 50 minutes. And when you leave, the pog isn't nearly done.

The next day, you're asked ... Why didn't you get finished? You need to work with more urgency.

Yeah right.
Why is the plano or price team doing 4x4s. Does this happen in a lot of stores . in my store sales floor team member do 4x4s.

Why is the plano or price team doing 4x4s. Does this happen in a lot of stores . in my store sales floor team member do 4x4s.

Everyday. One day, we spent 90 minutes doing it. Pricing too.

I don't know how you get anything done. I would go crazy if this happen to my team. And your a 6am store. Were at 4am and its tough to finish some days.

We struggle. And fall behind. Since Christmas, I don't think we've been current at all. Sales planners, adjacencies, pog ... All behind.

Maybe this is the direction corp wants. Send the work, but not the hours. It seems weird to send 300 worth of pogs but nit the hours to do the work.

Because that is what our etl says ... That they'll never give us the amount of hours to do the work.

Okay fine. Then we'll always fail to compete the work on time.

We struggle. And fall behind. Since Christmas, I don't think we've been current at all. Sales planners, adjacencies, pog ... All behind.

Maybe this is the direction corp wants. Send the work, but not the hours. It seems weird to send 300 worth of pogs but nit the hours to do the work.

Because that is what our etl says ... That they'll never give us the amount of hours to do the work.

Okay fine. Then we'll always fail to compete the work on time.
I give my HR the workload hours for each week before I make the schedule. I usually get what I need she take hours out of sales floor for SP and adj. Because that is where the company puts them. Our log fills are usually pulled the day before and ready for us. I'm normally happy with our system
I think the company just sends to much work some weeks. They don't get it.

I spent a total of 30 hours one week from planogram hours doing 4x4's. My pricing team spent about 15 hours that same week. It was after that week that they took the 4x4's away from us. The problem is we have no sales floor team. 1 person in SL, 1 in HL, 1 in Electronics, 1 in Market. That is not a lot of people do 4x4 all of C&D in 1 day. Now as a store the 4x4's are never 100% completed but at least my teams aren't being pulled.

I spent a total of 30 hours one week from planogram hours doing 4x4's. My pricing team spent about 15 hours that same week. It was after that week that they took the 4x4's away from us. The problem is we have no sales floor team. 1 person in SL, 1 in HL, 1 in Electronics, 1 in Market. That is not a lot of people do 4x4 all of C&D in 1 day. Now as a store the 4x4's are never 100% completed but at least my teams aren't being pulled.
we have six people on our in stocks team they are doing 4x4s along with the few sales floor team members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back