Archived Separation pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my store closed and some of my TM's have gotten differing info on when they'll get their separation pay. A lot of us have earned it, a couple did not, some transferred.

I know the approximate amount I'm owed, and was told that it would be two weeks after our last day, but a few people haven't gotten their check after 3 weeks. After calling every corporate phone # I hit a dead end and was told to email someone. Haven't heard back, those of us who have not gotten our check are in limbo.

Anyone here have info that can help us? I'm starting to stress out! EEK!!!

Did you call HROC?

Yes, I called and spoke with several people, none of whom could give me a straight answer.
There are a few of us experiencing this and I don't want to contact my old HR or anyone since they already told me what they "know".

I would also advise checking your State's regs on payment of compensation owed after end of employment. Some states have rules about how quickly you must be paid any compensation owed, and you can file a complaint with the appropriate office if they haven't paid you according to those laws. Severance pay, unfortunately, is not subject to the same sorts of rules as regular pay, but it's worth a check.

I would recommend checking the handbook and/or combing through any paperwork they gave you about store closings. Here is some more general info on what to do after losing your job, if it helps, (not specific to layoffs, firings or location closings): Employee Rights after a Job Termination - FindLaw - http://employment.findlaw.com/losing-a-job/employee-rights-after-a-job-termination.html

I've gotten all my pay but still no stub on the separation pay so I have no idea why it was so low. It was way lower than I expected.

Finally got my stub on the severance and I was taxed out the ass. My gross was a couple hundred more than they first told me however, what I expected on net pay was LESS than I expected.

I can't get an answer from the corporate HR number. Anyone here have any idea why over 1/3 of my money was taken in taxes? I mean, I feel fucked over every which way.

That type of payout is probably not treated as regular wages, and is taxed accordingly. The annual bonus I get from my day job loses something like 40% to taxes. It's ridiculous.

Jesus Christ, are you kidding??? That's outrageous!

I just feel so screwed over right now. I was going to go back to Target since I'm considering moving and going back to university but it's not worth it. It's not as good a company as I originally thought.

That particular thing isn't really Target's fault, though, or at least it's pretty standard and not necessarily a bad thing. IIRC, companies tend to withhold more from supplemental wages to err on the side of caution rather than risk underwithholding, which means you might end up having to pay in or pay more at tax time.

It should all even out in next year's taxes, but it sucks ass in the short term.

Finally got my stub on the severance and I was taxed out the ass. My gross was a couple hundred more than they first told me however, what I expected on net pay was LESS than I expected.

I can't get an answer from the corporate HR number. Anyone here have any idea why over 1/3 of my money was taken in taxes? I mean, I feel fucked over every which way.

Probably it was taxed at the higher rate(I can't remember why) but some checks like bonuses are taxed at much higher rate than your normal pay. You will get that back at the end of the year though. I have had it happen when I worked to much overtime I bumped up a tax bracket and made almost nothing in pocket I have had bonus checks taxed the same way.. Not saying they didn't fuck up, but it could be the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back